shape
carat
color
clarity

Black Star Sapphire Ring - NO Star!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
I purchased a very inexpensive black star sapphire ring, so I didn''t really expect much in the way of very clear lines from the star, but I at least expected to see a faint star, even if squiqqley lines. I don''t see any star! It''s not returnable, so yeah I know buyer beware. Just wondering what would cause this? Not cut correctly? I do see the soft white light moving around inside the stone, like adulesence would I imagine from a moonstone. I don''t have a photo i can upload at the moment, but have noticed during photo''s I have been able to take, the star does seem to come out with the flash, so maybe it''s just not enough direct light inside??????

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
The star will not show in diffused lighting. To see the star you need a single point light source lke the sun on a clear day or a single light bulb.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve read that you should use a flashlight pointed at the stone to see it. Try that.

HTH

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check it again with a pen light or a small flashlight. The focused beam should bring out the star.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
agreed. try using a small flashlight. I have a ruby star and I don''t see the star inside very often, just lovely shimmers. outside though on a sunny day- wham! that star is pretty hard to miss! usually the only time I see the star inside is under certain types of ''spot'' lighting...

would love to see pics of yours! (star or no star
9.gif
)

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
These are a couple of pairs of black star sapphire earrings I've made, and I have to say that while better stars are probably out there, this is typical of most commercially available ones: visible glow, but not really what I'd call a star. It will not be visible under all lighting conditions. For "very inexpensive" I'm afraid you get what you paid for
7.gif

[edit]

Dang photos didn't show up. Let me try again.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I have a nice black star sapphire, yet the star is still not seen unless the lighting conditions are just right. I rather like that about stars; it makes the star special.
I have a thread on here last year about it if you want to see some pictures.

My advice would be that I love black, and you should enjoy the ring as a black sapphire ring.

p.s. Your dog is gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results