shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose Gold Plating?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Is it possible to have a 14k gold ring plated with rose gold? Just curious...thanks in advance!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry I don't think it would be possible (jewelers please correct me).

Rose gold gets it's color from a mixture of gold and copper. Rose gold that is cast has a lovely pinkish color from the even mixing of the two metals.

Plating happens when an electroconductive (electricity can run through it - eg. metal, jewelry etc.) item is plased in a solution of oxidzed (rusted/ dissolved) metal ions and an electric current is run through it. The electric current causes the oxidized metal ions to reduce (go back from rust/oxide to metal) and become pure metal stuck to the electroconductive item.

Different metal ions have different tendancies to oxidize and reduce - so a mixture of gold and copper oxides wouldn't reduce and deposit on the surface of the electroconductive object at the same rate. Copper is more electronegative (willing to react) than gold, so you would get a layer of copper deposited, and then a layer of gold deposited afterwords.

hope this helps.

(maybe you could have it dipped in molten rose gold?)

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 5:33:58 PM
Author: HopeDream
I''m sorry I don''t think it would be possible (jewelers please correct me).

Rose gold gets it''s color from a mixture of gold and copper. Rose gold that is cast has a lovely pinkish color from the even mixing of the two metals.

Plating happens when an electroconductive (electricity can run through it - eg. metal, jewelry etc.) item is plased in a solution of oxidzed (rusted/ dissolved) metal ions and an electric current is run through it. The electric current causes the oxidized metal ions to reduce (go back from rust/oxide to metal) and become pure metal stuck to the electroconductive item.

Different metal ions have different tendancies to oxidize and reduce - so a mixture of gold and copper oxides wouldn''t reduce and deposit on the surface of the electroconductive object at the same rate. Copper is more electronegative (willing to react) than gold, so you would get a layer of copper deposited, and then a layer of gold deposited afterwords.

hope this helps.

(maybe you could have it dipped in molten rose gold?)

Thanks for the reply!

I am asking about this for my DH actually.

His wedding band has 5 prong set diamonds (low in the band) and the prongs are very worn down and it needs some work soon.

I just got a new rose gold ring and he has a family heirloom rose gold signet ring from his great grandfather, but can''t wear it, it''s too fragile...anyway, he likes the darker rose gold color and I am trying to decide if we should invest in having his ring prongs redone (which is quite expensive on five stones!)...and he also asked me about rose gold...if his current ring could be dipped or treated, to match mine...or if it would be a better idea to just have a totally new ring made for him in rose gold and have his diamonds reset into a new ring.

Still looking for ideas.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
If you ca swing it, I would have a new ring made.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results