shape
carat
color
clarity

Chobani Greek Yogurt

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
All right all of you Fage lovers -- who here has tried Chobani? So I'm starting to come out of my morning sickness (10 weeks preggo) and I headed to the grocery store because I was craving 2% Fage, a favorite standby of mine. Now I've always seen other brands of "greek" yogurt, but I've been disappointed by any other brand that I've tried. UNTIL today! Now I love Fage dearly, but I do get a bit bored with my standard mix-ins (I don't prefer to eat it plain) and to be honest, it can be a pain always having to keep mix-ins at work and doctoring up my yogurt. I saw that Chobani was a greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom which I really liked the concept of. Now most of the brands besides Fage have nowhere near the protein content that Fage does -- but Chobani matches it! That made me feel better that this yogurt would be creamy -- I shook the container and the yogurt didn't move which was good. I got home and tried it this evening and I am in love. Everything that I love about Fage, lightly sweetened with real fruit on the bottom. Soooo convenient for work! The fruit on the bottom flavors have a slightly higher sugar content than Fage because they lightly sweeten the real fruit with unrefined cane juice. I saw that they have a pomegranate flavor with real whole pomegranate seeds at the bottom. This afternoon I bought 3 containers of my 2% Fage and 1 container of the 0% Chobani with peaches and now I am so sad that I have no more Chobani!
39.gif
It was so delicious... loved the peaches. I will say that it is still not quite AS thick as the Fage, but it is still very thick and nowhere near that runny mess sold as yogurt here in the states.

Anyway, just wanted to share a new find for any Fage lovers!
1.gif

Edited to add: I also forgot to mention that the yogurt has 5 active cultures including 3 probiotics. Very cool! OK I am done sounding like a commercial now -- I'm just excited to have found my dream yogurt
9.gif

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love Chobani too! Like you, my Fage preference was for the 2%. When Chobani first became available, I didn''t think I''d like it because it only comes in 0% but I tried it anyway and I love it. I actually prefer it to Fage (comparing both in plain). A bonus is Chobani is also much cheaper than Fage here -- 99 cents vs. $1.79 for the same size.

Have you tried Brown Cow? They also do Greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom. I prefer Chobani but Brown Cow has had coupons on each foil lid for buy two get one free so I''ve also been buying those as well.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
How funny, I just bought some Chiobani the other day at the store. I like Fage but it needs SOME sweetness for me in order to take it to work and be able to eat it on-the-quick...so I end up mixing stuff into the Fage and that is too time consuming for me right now. I was tempted by the Chiobani since it had fruit and/or honey already in it. I can''t wait to try it now!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Chobani is my fave! Long time fan! Fage is delish too, but they are slightly different. I mix the vanilla or honey with dry oatmeal, flax, nuts, coconut and fruit every morning and stay full until at least noon! Delish!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried the plain Chobani but it has a very tangy taste to me. Does anyone else taste that? It''s almost bites the tongue.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea, all Greek yogurt is tangy/tart. I LOVE Chobani peach. I also like the strawberry, but peach is my favorite. I didn''t know they made it in pomegranate...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really? I never taste the tang in Fage. Maybe tang is the wrong word. It is tart, but there''s a tang with the Chobani that almost has the same taste as salsa that''s too old to eat. It''s like a stingy tangy taste. Bah, I''m bad at describing this.

Maybe I had old Chobani? It tasted so different than the Fage to me. I''m going to give it another try because it is cheaper than the Fage at my grocery store.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haven, I know what you mean about the tang. I tasted the difference between Fage when it was still produced in Greece and the Fage we buy here (in US) now which is produced in New Jersey. While I find that all plain yogurt has a bit of tanginess, I thought that Greek Fage had the creamiest texture with the least tangy taste. When the switch happened about a year ago, I mourned the loss of true Greek Fage!

As for Fage vs. Chobani, are you comparing 0% for both? I find the Chobani 0% to have a different taste than Fage 0 -- but I don''t taste a "tang" difference. But you know, it could be the whole 99 cents vs. $1.79 thing. The Chobani is so much lower in price that my cheapness could be overriding my taste buds!

I still buy the Fage 2% for my daughter who is fussier, can use the "fat," and doesn''t eat nearly as much yogurt as I do so it''s not as expensive a habit. The other day I had one after not having tasted Fage 2% for a while and marveled at how much creamier and yummy 2% is over 0%. I wish Chobani would do 2%.

Ever try Oikos? Now *that* is tangy and a bit watery in consistency. I don''t like Oikos at all.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 10:08:53 AM
Author: Maria D
Haven, I know what you mean about the tang. I tasted the difference between Fage when it was still produced in Greece and the Fage we buy here (in US) now which is produced in New Jersey. While I find that all plain yogurt has a bit of tanginess, I thought that Greek Fage had the creamiest texture with the least tangy taste. When the switch happened about a year ago, I mourned the loss of true Greek Fage!

As for Fage vs. Chobani, are you comparing 0% for both? I find the Chobani 0% to have a different taste than Fage 0 -- but I don''t taste a ''tang'' difference. But you know, it could be the whole 99 cents vs. $1.79 thing. The Chobani is so much lower in price that my cheapness could be overriding my taste buds!

I still buy the Fage 2% for my daughter who is fussier, can use the ''fat,'' and doesn''t eat nearly as much yogurt as I do so it''s not as expensive a habit. The other day I had one after not having tasted Fage 2% for a while and marveled at how much creamier and yummy 2% is over 0%. I wish Chobani would do 2%.

Ever try Oikos? Now *that* is tangy and a bit watery in consistency. I don''t like Oikos at all.
Maria - this was a big deal to me! When they switched to the NY plant, the first batch I bought was so bad I actually contacted Fage. My yogurt tasted really bitter and tangy, I almost cried about it. They sent me 12 FREE yogurts! The 12 I got from them were quite delicious - not exactly the same as the ones from greece, but MUCH closer. I waited a few months to buy more and they seem to have mostly resolved the issue and I find the taste to be very very similar now. The 2% ones are so much yummier, but I eat the 0% for my waistline! I also didn''t like how the US made ones come in a bigger container - oh well, they certainly last longer now! If I ever go to Greece, I think I would eat like 12 Fage''s a day!

My hubby loves chobani because he doesn''t like plain yogurt. I don''t like fruit in my yogurt and I did not like the plain chobani, so I am still paying double for the Fage. I like to put a granola bar in mine :).

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe it''s a person-by-person thing? For me all goat cheese, feta and yogurt that''s not sugared to high heaven tastes tangy.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure where you get yours from, but Sam''s Club carries Chobani fruit-bottom servings in a case of 12 and it''s very inexpensive. Makes it easy to keep the fridge stocked with greek yogurt on a budget.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 10:08:53 AM
Author: Maria D
I still buy the Fage 2% for my daughter who is fussier, can use the ''fat,'' and doesn''t eat nearly as much yogurt as I do so it''s not as expensive a habit. The other day I had one after not having tasted Fage 2% for a while and marveled at how much creamier and yummy 2% is over 0%. I wish Chobani would do 2%.

Wow, you ladies are good w/ the 0% Fage.
I tried the 2% and it didn''t even taste right for me.
The only one I could eat was the whole one that is loaded w/ fat
23.gif

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2009 1:28:20 PM
Author: *~*Danielle*~*

Maria - this was a big deal to me! When they switched to the NY plant, the first batch I bought was so bad I actually contacted Fage. My yogurt tasted really bitter and tangy, I almost cried about it. They sent me 12 FREE yogurts! The 12 I got from them were quite delicious - not exactly the same as the ones from greece, but MUCH closer. I waited a few months to buy more and they seem to have mostly resolved the issue and I find the taste to be very very similar now. The 2% ones are so much yummier, but I eat the 0% for my waistline! I also didn''t like how the US made ones come in a bigger container - oh well, they certainly last longer now! If I ever go to Greece, I think I would eat like 12 Fage''s a day!

My hubby loves chobani because he doesn''t like plain yogurt. I don''t like fruit in my yogurt and I did not like the plain chobani, so I am still paying double for the Fage. I like to put a granola bar in mine :).

Danielle, you''re right, it''s NY not NJ. After reading your post I went and checked mine to see if there was yet another plant (nope). Yes, when the switch first happened the taste was way off! It did get much better but I would bet that I could still tell the difference if I could only get my hands on some Greek Fage.

I have always loved plain as well as fruit in my yogurt. If I''m at home, I''ll either add fresh fruit to plain or dilute yogurt that comes with fruit with plain yogurt so that it is a little less sweet. When I take yogurt to work I can''t be bothered mixing my own concoction so I either bring plain or just don''t mix up so much fruit/jam stuff from the bottom. I once wrote Stonyfield suggesting that they offer a grown-up yogurt that''s only half as sweet as the ones they offer but that''s never happened!

Lili, I accidentally bought the full-fat Fage and was half way through a serving thinking yum yum this is good -- and then looked at the label and figured out why! There are 20 grams of saturated fat per serving in whole Fage! I don''t think there''s that much in prime rib. My daughter has loved plain yogurt since she tasted it at 6 months of age. At the time we lived in Toronto and I bought something called Astro 4%. Now that was yummy too!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
This thread made me curious so I bought 4 containers of Chobani yesterday, 2 in vanilla & 2 in pomegranate and I am hooked. (BTW the pomegranate is delicious!!!!) The store''s regular price is $1.49 for a 6oz container and I got it on sale for $1.00/container. Is that a good price?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE this stuf! My favorite is the blueberry, but has anyone tried the pineapple? I bought it by accident one day thinking it was peach. When I realized what it was it lived in the back of the fridge all by its lonesome until every other edible thing in the house was gone and when I finally gave it and ate it I was thrilled! It reminds me of that stuff our mothers/grandmothers used to make with the green jello and cool whip and canned pineapple and crushed nuts, LOL!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I just discovered that the grocery store in my building''s basement, which is a pretty crappy store overall, actually carries Chobani! I bought 2 - vanilla and strawberry - though now I wish I had gotten a peach one too after reading this thread. I haven''t tried it yet but I''m really excited
1.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Peach and Pomegranete rock! I had honey today and was not such a fan

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, thanks for the tip, *Lindsay*! I''ve seen that brand around, but didn''t want to take any risks when I know FOR SURE that Fage means delicious yogurt. I''ll try the peach flavored Chobani when I next run into it.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to try pineapple next week:)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t tried the Chobani Peach yet but we made a TJs run the other day, and I got the Fage 2%. SO good, especially with apple granola and pineapples! Yum!

pinki

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 3:30:59 PM
Author: Galateia
Not sure where you get yours from, but Sam''s Club carries Chobani fruit-bottom servings in a case of 12 and it''s very inexpensive. Makes it easy to keep the fridge stocked with greek yogurt on a budget.
+1 Best deal ever! I have an English Mastiff so I have to go every 2 weeks to get Dog Food and my yogurt! Probably looks like a strange combo.

Cj

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have to say, I''m not that big a fan of Chobani after all. On the other hand, I LOVE Fage!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I just tried the pineapple and it is awesome!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results