shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopping dilemma... purse related

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I have an unusual dilemma that I hope you guys will weigh in on... I stopped by a well known department store last night on my way home as they are having a pretty good sale. I had a 20% coupon AND a store credit, so it was a no brainer, right? Anyway, I was browsing the purse clearances and stumbled upon a Dooney & Bourke bag that I had been lusting over. I have seen the same bag on ebay for $325+ and this was much less so I grabbed it. I did notice that it had a store price tag on it, not the usual Dooney price tag. Clearly someone cut the tags off but the outside was in perfect condition so I bought it anyway. I get it home and pull out all of the tissue paper stuffing and notice pen marks on the inside. Not a huge deal, but clearly the bag has been used. I had been toying with the idea of putting it up on Ebay given the prices it has been going for, but since it's used, I'd get less. Here's the dilemma - should I put up a stink at the store and ask for a further discount? Ideally I'd exchange it for the same bag, but this one isn't available anymore. If it helps, original retail price was $425. I paid $180 with tax.
What would you do? Thanks for your input!
Edited to add: it has the registration card, but not the dust bag

312211968_tp.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so are you not going to use it? or are you trying to sell it for a profit? just remember if you try to sell on ebay, I always deduct about 30% less to total sales after fees from both ebay and paypal plus any additional shipping charges... If you are going to use it then I would really just be done with trying to get any additional discount. How long have you had it before you noticed? if it was the same day or something then Iwould go back and let them know and show them, but if you''d have had it for a few days, then I wouldn''t bother. As a sales person, I would just assume you caused the ink mark yourself and just trying to take advantage of the department store.
Aside note: Although if you register your bag, and if there is any issues within a year, you can always call Dooney and Bourke and get a replacement bag if they can''t fix any defects. I got a new patent bag because of this. It was a nice perk.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your response! I noticed that it was used when I got home from the store and took out the stuffing. Initially, I thought I would put it up on ebay, but then realized that without the original tags, it would go for less. Then I got home and realized it was used, so there went the idea of selling it.
I went back to the store the next day and nicely told them that I discovered the bag was used. I shop there a lot so I thought they should know and if possible, watch out for the shopper that made the return. The sales person knew who the shopper was and was kind enough to give me 10% off and found me a dust bag.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2010 9:40:33 AM
Author: PaulaW
Thanks for your response! I noticed that it was used when I got home from the store and took out the stuffing. Initially, I thought I would put it up on ebay, but then realized that without the original tags, it would go for less. Then I got home and realized it was used, so there went the idea of selling it.
I went back to the store the next day and nicely told them that I discovered the bag was used. I shop there a lot so I thought they should know and if possible, watch out for the shopper that made the return. The sales person knew who the shopper was and was kind enough to give me 10% off and found me a dust bag.
Thats great to get the additional 10% off
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results