shape
carat
color
clarity

How many times can you resize a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MinnieGrlC

Rough_Rock
Trade
I read somewhere that you''re not supposed to resize a ring more than a few times, otherwise it weakens the ring''s structure.

Does anyone know whether this is true?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ring has been resized twice and the bottom part of the shank is noticably thinner. It still is strong as ever even though it looks a bit uneven. (it''s 14K yellow gold)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have your ring sized up you can ask them to add gold instead of stretching the band so it won''t get thin. I don''t know for sure but had someone tell me if they have to remove the stone(s) your prongs can start to get thin or break down.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When your jeweler sizes your ring up or down, he/she should be sure to check the integrity of the settings, yes. Any type of work done to the shank of the ring will probably compromise the metal a bit each time, heating it, stretching it, adding gold/plat/other metal could weaken it, yes. I would be concerned if you see visible thinning of the shank or noticeable seams where metal has been added, but unless you are having your ring sized more than 2-3 times it shouldn''t be a major issue.

If you could provide a concrete example of what you''re having re-sized, with pics as a bonus I''m sure one of the experts here can provide their opinion as well.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2010 11:28:11 PM
Author: marcyc
If you have your ring sized up you can ask them to add gold instead of stretching the band so it won''t get thin. I don''t know for sure but had someone tell me if they have to remove the stone(s) your prongs can start to get thin or break down.
Mine was sized down and it thinned out. How annoying, huh? I''m replacing it soon.

amietraina

Rough_Rock
330325>I have no expiereance. I never had mine resized, when I was bigger I just didn''t wear them!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results