shape
carat
color
clarity

Heirloom Diamond Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vabaz

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What''s the best proposal approach when the ering includes a groom to be''s family heirloom diamond, but recut beautifully, 1ct plus and in a new and beautiful setting? Do you tell her upfront where the diamond came from? Do you tell her after a while-later-as in the next day or the next month? Or do you simply not tell her at all? The heirloom belonged to a beloved family member the groom to be dearly loved. Wouldn''t want the bride to be to feel cheated-by not getting a brand new diamond. Any thought?

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
This is just my two cents, but if I were you I''d go ahead and tell her right off the bat. I think it''s something to be proud of. Plus, if it were me you were proposing to, I would want to know something like that.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I would tell her right away. I think heirloom diamonds are so special and would be thrilled to know that mine was one, especially if it had belonged to someone who you loved!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Most women have a vision about their engagement ring. Some are flexible, some are not. So I would tell her right way about your plan and see her reaction.

Personally I would be touched because the stone has history. On the other hand if it was a shape that I didn''t like I would be annoyed to have to wear it and not complain. What is an heirloom to some could be a hand-me-down to others. Just be prepared.

Jena17

Shiny_Rock
I would tell her right away and let her know how much that person meant to you and how you feel about having that diamond to give to someone else that means the world to you too!

My husband reset his great grandmothers stone in a new setting for me and it really means a lot to me that not only he loves me but his family loves me to give me something that means so much to them as well!

I do kind of agree with swingirl... In my case the diamond is a round diamond and that is what I have always wanted. But say if it was a marquise cut or something that I wasn''t fond of I may not be thinking the same way. Although he had told me in advance what he was planning on doing and what kind of diamond it was and I was thrilled!

Good luck! I am sure she will love it!

secjewl

Rough_Rock
You come right out and say how proud you are to give her the diamond that belonged to your grandmother or whoever and how she meant so much to you.
Then in the next breath remind her that as the years go by you will be able to buy her lots of diamonds for all your special occasions.
As jeweler I may be biased but as a guy who has sold thousands of pieces of jewelry and dealt with thousands of women I am right on.
Good luck!
Jay

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
I agree. I would tell her right away. She''s getting a family heirloom. I''d expect someone I was wanting to marry to at least appreciate the sentiment in that.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 2:14:34 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
I would tell her right away. I think heirloom diamonds are so special and would be thrilled to know that mine was one, especially if it had belonged to someone who you loved!
I feel the same way, and the ring sounds beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results