shape
carat
color
clarity

Bridal Weight Loss Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 1/11/2010 4:36:14 PM
Author: nkarma

Date: 1/10/2010 8:25:42 AM
Author: Luckyeshe
Hi, ladies!

I haven''t been very active in BWW lately, but I''m going to try to change that. This year, I''m finally off my butt and ready to get in shape. I guess I finally got tired of hearing the ''you need to lose weight'' comments from my mom (who of course means well). This is the year we''re planning to get married (but we''re having some LDR issues and the wedding may be moved back, will keep everyone posted) and I will be 28. I want to look great in a bikini again and since I live in Fl, it''s hard not to be a little jealous of those in their early 20s who don''t work out, can eat anything, and still not gain a pound! Granted, I was one of those as well. I guess I didn''t believe people who told me that your metabolism slows down in your later 20s! And boy, how mine has slowed down! Anyways on to what I''ve done so far as well as some stats.

Height: 5''2
Weight: 150lbs (from my last visit with my doctor on 12/28/09)
Goal: 125lbs by April 2010 (which is my bday month)

For week 1/4-1/9
I have worked out (cardio for at least 45 minutes a day if not 1 hour a day) everyday in the morning, except for yesterday. I work nights so now I don''t have any excuses left about waking up to early to work out. I have also been keeping a journal of what I eat on a daily basis. I also stopped drinking soda. I now drink teas. If I make myself hot tea, I no longer add sugar. I eat at least 1 fruit a day and I have smaller portions throughout the day. I eat maybe 5-6x thoughtout the day but nothing huge at any point. If I''m hungry at night, I drink a small glass of soymilk.

Results:
I purchased a scale last night and tried it this morning. I now weight 144lbs! So I''m definitely excited. I feel more toned, but no pain, no gain! Now all I need to do is keep this up and I''m excited to see some improvement on my weight. Next thing on my list is to get my tummy in shape as well too. Anyone have any thoughts on how to achieve that?

I hope everyone is doing well with their workouts!
Good job Luckyeshe! If you ever feel unmotivated remember we are here for you. I just started again seriously and am feeling way better. I really need to remember the awful feelings I have when I am not being so good. I am disappointed in myself. It feels way better when you are actually really working for it. Hopefully I will have some good news (aka a lb or 2 off in the next few days). I have lost 7 so far, at least 10 more to go!

P.S. Lucky, you are really lucky (hehe) you had the eat whatever you want metabolism. I have never had that in my early twenties or any other time! I am 26...27 in a few weeks!
Thanks, nkarma! Actually, I had a very high metabolism in my early 20s mainly because I had 3 serving jobs pretty much the whole time and I was running around working all the time. Now that I''m 27 turning 28, I''ve been in a desk job for about 6 years, and the last 3 years, it''s been a yo-yo when it came to my weight. Granted, I didn''t really work out and I took my body for granted and tah-duh! I am now overweight. But, when you finally decided to do something for yourself, there''s really nothing that can stand in your way. And for me, I''ve decided that enough is enough! I intend to be better physically turning 28 in April, than what I was when I was in my early 20s. Of course, I know I''d probably not be at 120lbs, but I''m going for 125 and toned since I like my T and A and I''m not looking into losing those!

Ladies, any advice on how to work out my arms, shoulders, and back without decreasing too much on the chest side?

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Luckyeshe, so glad you''ve decided to start making changes! As far as exercise routines, I found that a program called The Power of 10 worked really well for me. It focuses on heavy weights but low and slow reps. Contrary to popular belief, I didn''t get bulky at all. Also, I didn''t have much "t" to begin with but I had a lot of "a" and i managed to keep it while trimming everywhere else. The "a" also got more toned.

Best of luck to you and keep us all posted with your progress!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, MP! I''ll look into that program. Currently I''m doing bicep curls and extensions with a 5lb weight doing 5 sets of 20. If i use the machines I do maybe 20lbs and I intend to increase the weight when the workout gets to0 easy.

How is everyone''s new year coming along?

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Lost another lb so I am on track!

I am not a member of gym but I was thinking about it for weights during lunch once a week. Hmm! I run 2-3 times/week, go on hikes and long walks twice a week, and weight lift (5 lbs) 1-2 times/week and don't eat much, so that is how I am losing weight.

I could also double the weights for certain exercises cause I am feeling the weight lifting is getting a little easy.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
sounds like a nice steady weight loss plan nkarma!

Unfortunately I''ve gained a pound or two after the holidays and it hasn''t come off. I''m running 7 miles tomorrow with a run club, then straight to dance for 3 hours...I hope I don''t die. I am really not in the right shape to do that much physical activity at once, but we''ll see i guess
23.gif

I need to stop eating the office chocolate...
20.gif

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve started the 30 day shred dvd. I''m on day 12 and it''s kicking my butt and I feel great! I''m not weighing myself till the end though. It''s more about getting in shape than loosing a set amount (though I won''t say no to weight loss :razz:). Also I''ve given up soda (except for the occasional diet coke) and have started eating much healthier. Salads, carrots, fruit, cottage cheese, yougart for breakfast or lunch (not all, just one at a time haha). Then a regular dinner (with a smaller portion size). I still allow myself treats now and then because I''ve read that cutting everything out love our entirely doesn''t work.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Great job, ladies!! Keep up the good work!! I''ve stopped drinking soda as well even though the temptation is great. I still have a piece or two of chocolates, but not as much as I want. I''ve been keeping a journal of everything I eat so I know when I have had more than what I should, as well as making healthier eating choices all the way around. Does anyone else keep a journal of what they''ve eaten?

I''ve been craving ice cream lately, does anyone have any suggestions as to what''s good without ruining what I''ve worked out for during the day?

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
I can finally weigh myself again now that I''m cast free (I destroyed my ankle by falling down the stairs during a fire evacuation in early Nov). I only gained 7 lbs, which isn''t terrible, given that I was completely immobilized for two months. Unfortunately, this caused some of my old "eating b/c I''m depressed" bad habits to resurface.

My orthopedist said I could work out as much as I could tolerate, and I''m happy to say ... I did 45 mins on the treadmill yesterday!!! Up from a previous high of 35!!! I am going to hold to the recommendation he made: no classes, no Shred, no running until 3/1/10

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Luckyeshe, ice cream in small portions has less calories than a lot of desserts (cookies, brownies, cake, etc...) I have ice cream at least once a week while on my diet, but the portion is usually half to 3/4 cup which is like half of what you would usually get at most ice cream stores or would put in a bowl for yourself at home. The days I have ice cream, I usually just watch what I eat more and maybe don''t have sweets the rest of the day. I love sweets so I usually have a 3 or so small pieces of chocolate throughout the day. I recommend getting a small thing of like ben and jerrys lowfat and only eating the 1/2 cup portion or 1/4 of the pint or visiting an ice cream store that does small portions. I have the best ice cream place I have ever been to a few blocks from my house. The menu changes daily based on what is in season and they make rosemary pinenut, honey lavendar, cream fraiche, pink peppercorn, earl grey choc chip, etc...SO GOOD!

Yes I do keep a journal. I am calorie counting so I write everything I eat down. I use calorieking.com to look up the calories in most foods and also have a food scale at home where you can input what you are eating and it will calc most things for you.

Also I say anything you are craving definitely have in small portions. I don''t limit myself at all on what I eat.

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies! I figured that since I''ve started my weight loss journey that I should check out this thread for some tips and support! Two weeks ago I cut out all ''carbs'' (ie. bread, pasta, potatoes) and sweets/desserts, and have been eating a high protein, high veggie diet. Lots of water, and I don''t limit myself on my favourite thing- diet coke. I figure I need something to keep me happy!

The strictness of the diet has been very challenging, but I''ve lost 7lbs already! For me, this is more of a lifestyle change than just a diet... so I''m proud of myself that I''ve stuck to it so well! If I can get into the shape I want to by August (when I plan to begin serious dress hunting) I''ll be thrilled!

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
I''m considering going back to South Beach, Phase 1 -- has anybody done this without feeling disgusting during it??

I had to give up after 4 days last time b/c I felt so terrible

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 10:33:02 AM
Author: shertz1981
I''m considering going back to South Beach, Phase 1 -- has anybody done this without feeling disgusting during it??

I had to give up after 4 days last time b/c I felt so terrible
I personally wouldn''t do anything that is disgusting to you. Dieting is a lot about lifestyle changes not just cutting carbs, diet pills, etc... temporarily. The only way to do it is to "eat less, move more" as Dr. Laura says aka exercise and cut portions.

Miya03

Shiny_Rock
I did South Beach phase 1 a couple of weeks ago to jump-start my weight loss after the holidays. Here''s the thing with it...it is difficult if you don''t like certain foods or you need to eat on the run. I only stayed on it for 5 or 6 days because I don''t have time to wake up and make myself omelettes every day (plus I wouldn''t eat them even if I did have the time) plus I''m not interested in turkey rollups, etc. I also find that it is difficult for me to make it through hard workouts when I''m not eating any carbs.

That said, what it did do was get me jump-started and used to eating more salads than I would normally (I love my carbs). It also helped me to curb my appetite...so now that I''m eating carbs again, I''m not eating as many (or as much in general) and I''m not having massive cravings.

Between the diet and an increased workout schedule I have lost 3.5 lbs and an inch off of my waist in 3 weeks.

Only 9 lbs to go!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip, nkarma! I am having the things I like in small proportions, but I''m trying to stay conscious as to what I eat so that I don''t go back to my old ways. I''m gonna look at some low fat ice cream. I just bought the Beyers Carb conscious one, but it was not as I would hope in the taste department. Guess I''ll have to look into it further. I''ll go and check out calorieking.com since I put down calories on foods I know has it on the box and then guess on my home cooked meals. Thanks again!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2010 12:39:45 PM
Author: shertz1981
I can finally weigh myself again now that I''m cast free (I destroyed my ankle by falling down the stairs during a fire evacuation in early Nov). I only gained 7 lbs, which isn''t terrible, given that I was completely immobilized for two months. Unfortunately, this caused some of my old ''eating b/c I''m depressed'' bad habits to resurface.

My orthopedist said I could work out as much as I could tolerate, and I''m happy to say ... I did 45 mins on the treadmill yesterday!!! Up from a previous high of 35!!! I am going to hold to the recommendation he made: no classes, no Shred, no running until 3/1/10
I''m glad the cast is finally off! Good luck on your workouts! Don''t get down and let your bad eating habbits resurface. You can do it, shertz1981!!

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 8:16:01 PM
Author: Miya03
I did South Beach phase 1 a couple of weeks ago to jump-start my weight loss after the holidays. Here's the thing with it...it is difficult if you don't like certain foods or you need to eat on the run. I only stayed on it for 5 or 6 days because I don't have time to wake up and make myself omelettes every day (plus I wouldn't eat them even if I did have the time) plus I'm not interested in turkey rollups, etc. I also find that it is difficult for me to make it through hard workouts when I'm not eating any carbs.

That said, what it did do was get me jump-started and used to eating more salads than I would normally (I love my carbs). It also helped me to curb my appetite...so now that I'm eating carbs again, I'm not eating as many (or as much in general) and I'm not having massive cravings.

Between the diet and an increased workout schedule I have lost 3.5 lbs and an inch off of my waist in 3 weeks.

Only 9 lbs to go!
Really great job!!! I don't measure my waist....that is scary!

Good job to all the ladies trying to lose weight. We can do it! I am so not an enthusiastic cheerleader type but I do feel a sense of comradery with weight loss and you ladies. I have been looking at a lot of wedding photos recently because I am looking up photographers and planners and I just try to remember how pretty I want to look for my wedding day and how I will feel much better when I am little lighter.

Miya03

Shiny_Rock
Thanks nkarma!

Something I thought to share with you ladies that helps me keep on track is www.thecarrot.com

I record my weight, waist circumference, and exercise using this site daily. It really helps to keep you motivated, especially when you can see (through their graphs) that your hard work has been paying off through steady weight loss! I look at trends rather than daily values this way, so I can keep myself on track.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2010 11:17:19 PM
Author: Miya03
Thanks nkarma!

Something I thought to share with you ladies that helps me keep on track is www.thecarrot.com

I record my weight, waist circumference, and exercise using this site daily. It really helps to keep you motivated, especially when you can see (through their graphs) that your hard work has been paying off through steady weight loss! I look at trends rather than daily values this way, so I can keep myself on track.
Thanks for the site, Miya! I''m gonna look into this as well as the one nkarma uses for calorie counting!

Nkarma, you''re right about the bond. I feel better getting online and posting the results and my trials than actually talking to anyone in real life about them.

Purelily, thanks for starting this thread! I''ll probably just tell you that in person since I do have your number and you''re barely online now a days!

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, I''m going to join The Carrot, too!

I made myself an exercise/diet plan for the next month, which I cleared with my orthopedist:

Okay -- so Saturday, I will have made my goal of walking on the treadmill at a reasonable pace for 45 minutes 3 days this week. I feel reasonably accomplished.

I will also do 3 days next week, with the addition of one 60-minute session on the bike, and drink all of my water (50 oz/day).

In two weeks, it''s 3 times on the treadmill, two times on the bike, water, and 5 servings of veggies per day.

In three weeks, it''s 2 times on the treadmill, 2 times on the elliptical, 1 time on the bike, water, veggies, and restricted dairy (2 servings/day).

In four weeks, it''s 2 times on the treadmill, 2 times on the elliptical, 2 times on the bike, water, veggies, restricted dairy and lean protein with every meal.

After that, I''m going back to kickboxing and Shred and the treadmill can go take a long walk off a short pier. :razz:

Writing this down is SO helpful -- now I feel accountable.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh! Sounds like you are all doing much better than I am lately! I''ve been totally MIA from this thread and I really need to get back to things! Got so off track with the holidays and then started a new job two weeks ago and am working pretty late and weekends, so I have no time to work out.

Weight is sticking around 118ish if I eat "normal" but if I go out to eat or have any other meals out of the house, it shoots back to 119 and some change. I REALLY would like to get to at LEAST 110, if not lower, before my September wedding, but I''m starting to wonder if that is an unrealistic goal.

Anyways, goals for the week are to get back on track eating-wise and to also force myself to do 30DS at least three times this week!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 7:42:29 PM
Author: MagsyMay
Ahhh! Sounds like you are all doing much better than I am lately! I''ve been totally MIA from this thread and I really need to get back to things! Got so off track with the holidays and then started a new job two weeks ago and am working pretty late and weekends, so I have no time to work out.

Weight is sticking around 118ish if I eat ''normal'' but if I go out to eat or have any other meals out of the house, it shoots back to 119 and some change. I REALLY would like to get to at LEAST 110, if not lower, before my September wedding, but I''m starting to wonder if that is an unrealistic goal.

Anyways, goals for the week are to get back on track eating-wise and to also force myself to do 30DS at least three times this week!
You can do it, Magsy! Have you been counting calories as well? That may help you keep yourself on track for the weight loss. When I go out, I''m conscious of the amount of calories in a meal. I may relax a bit, but I know that I shouldn''t have McDonald''s or something like that. I try to get myself something lighter and healthier. Hope that helps! Good luck!

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, ladies!! I''m going to jump in on this thread, as I have about 10-12 pounds to lose. I''ve been meaning to do it for the last year but never committed to a program. Nothing like a wedding to get me motivated!!
28.gif

I''m doing Weight Watchers online to help me watch my food/caloric intake. I did it several years ago, and it worked well for me. I''m hopeful it''ll work just as well this time!!

My workouts are very low-impact, since I have recurring knee problems after years of running. Now I mostly do walking, yoga, and strength training several days a week.

Anyway... just wanted to say hi and wish you all luck with your goals!!

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
I weighed myself this morning, and after being stuck at 147.3 for what seemed like forever... I am down to 144.2! I was jumping up and down in the bathroom and clapping. I woke FI up, he told me I was crazy :) He just doesnt get it...I added an extra day at the gym, and .5 mile to each run, I guess I needed to change up my workout to see any more results. I only weigh myself every 2-3 weeks to not drive myself crazy, so this was a nice surprise!

Congrats to everyone for getting back on track for the holidays.

I have 4.2lbs to reach my wedding goal, and 9.2 to reach my goal weight! I''m so excited!!

My first fitting is the end of Feb, and the wedding is 131 days a way! These last few pounds are going to be tough!

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Good job Nov2109! That is really great. I may need to change up something with me as well because I have plateaued for over 2 weeks now and it doesn''t feel good. I still have 10 lbs I want to get off and the sooner the better. And welcome CurlySue. Good luck to both of you!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2010 1:09:23 PM
Author: Nov2109
I weighed myself this morning, and after being stuck at 147.3 for what seemed like forever... I am down to 144.2! I was jumping up and down in the bathroom and clapping. I woke FI up, he told me I was crazy :) He just doesnt get it...I added an extra day at the gym, and .5 mile to each run, I guess I needed to change up my workout to see any more results. I only weigh myself every 2-3 weeks to not drive myself crazy, so this was a nice surprise!

Congrats to everyone for getting back on track for the holidays.

I have 4.2lbs to reach my wedding goal, and 9.2 to reach my goal weight! I''m so excited!!

My first fitting is the end of Feb, and the wedding is 131 days a way! These last few pounds are going to be tough!
That''s awesome news, Nov2109!!! Congrats on the pounds coming off!!

Quick question, ladies. I''ve lost 10lbs since I started getting serious with making life changes and I would like to lose 15 more. I was wondering about the plateauing that happens. I understand we should change it up a bit and make sure that our bodies keep guessing, but I do cardio and strenght training every day. My cardio is the bike, elliptical, and threadmill. I do change up the strenght training every 2 weeks, but do we have to change up the cardio as well? Or is cardio is cardio is cardio? KWIM? Thanks for any input!

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Lucky, I have no answer for that, because I get stuck in the plateau all the time. I just finally got out after 2-3 weeks of not losing anything and then two lbs came off real quick. I don''t know what changed. The good news is I have 8 more to go!!!

Miya03

Shiny_Rock
Another 2 lbs down! Only 7 more to go. These are the hardest, but at least I feel motivated now.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
You all are doing great!!! Gahhhh, my attempt at getting back on tracked has failed!!! I did 30DS last Saturday and after not doing it for about 2 months, OMG I was so sore that today is about the first day I can even walk without pain. My calves have been on FIRE!! So my goal of doing it several times a week... yeah, the soreness in addition to working 11 or so hours a day.. not so much
5.gif

I''ve got to start using this working so much thing as an excuse. For those who work A LOT, how do you fit it in?? My diet has been decent surprisingly, probably because I have no time to eat. Weight is hovering around 118 give or take a .5 or so
2.gif
I am afraid I will never get to my "ideal" wedding weight if I can''t find time to get some good workouts in
8.gif

Hi Ladies,

I skimmed the thread and didn''t see a mention of the website Fitday.com. I used it last year and with success - lost 24 pounds! Then I kind of let it slide and put about 6-7 pounds back on over the holidays. Now that I''m engaged, I''m back on the weight loss horse. I need to lose 20 pounds before I start dress shopping this summer, and I''m confident I can do it because I did it only one year ago.

For those asking about how to lose weight without major workouts, I did it. Fitday is great because it''s totally free and it''s just up to you to track everything you eat AND do. Even if it''s just a night out bowling with the girls, you can record that kind of activity. You tell the site your current weight, what weight you want to be, and when. It will tell you how many calories you currently burn and how many you can consume and reach your goal. It''s not about low carb, no carb, no sugar, etc. It''s just about being honest with yourself about what you really eat and how many calories are in it.

Weight loss is simple math and that seemed to be the approach that worked for me. Especially if you''re the kind of person that can''t live without (put your weakness here). At the end of the day, you''ve totalled all your calories and you still have some left, go for it! For me, I got to go out with my fiance and see him shoot darts this week because I saved myself enough calories to have 2 lite beers. Not much, but sometimes it is those little things that keep us going.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies!
35.gif
My weight's slowly been creeping up so I decided I need to jump back on this thread!!!

Congrats to all the ladies that are dropping the lbs! Amazing!

Lucky, about the plateau, if you want to change up your cardio, change the intensity. So if you're running at a consistent pace right now, maybe try interval training (sprint for a minute, jog for 3, etc.). I found that to be effective when I used to workout a lot and started to plateau.

Magsy you can do it! About the burning calves, OMG walking down stairs is soo painful! I've started taking up ballet again and holy moly my calves were killing me and I refused to walk down any stairs for a week.
Re: working. Not sure how much you're working now, but how do you feel about morning workouts? For me it's super hard to get up, but if you can get the workout over with before your day starts you can just relax after a long day of work.

For me, I've increased my junk food intake which I feel horrible about. After the holidays I just couldn't get back to eating lighter foods
14.gif
. So I'm up about 2 lbs since before the holidays. I'm 5' tall and a very flabby 103 currently. I'm not so concerned with the weight, I just want some muscles back! I've gotta try this 30 shred y'all are talking about!

ETA hi FMS! I used to use fitday.com and it totally forgot about it! it's a wonderful tool...heading over there now!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results