shape
carat
color
clarity

Color/Clarity and Setting Choice...need advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

niceice21

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, I was on here a few months ago stressing over a few different issues and I appreciated the advice I received, so I''m back! Anyway, I''m kinda at a crossroads. I should have the money for the diamond/setting in another month or two and have really started to look at all of my options. My girlfriend has stated that she would like a stone close to a carat, which is fine, but honestly she wouldn''t be able to tell the difference between something slightly smaller (between .8 and .9) and something that is a carat. I am kinda leaning towards getting a colorless F/G, VS1/VVS2 in the slightly smaller range than getting an H or I SI1 that is around a carat. I watched Jonathon''s video on diamond color awhile ago and I could really begin to see the color around the H stone and def. in the I. But I realize that was against a white backdrop which was meant to clearly show us the differences.

My question is basically as such, I am leaning towards a Tacori setting (2620) or something similar and those types of setting cover the sides of the stone and you really only see the diamond from a face up POV. So with that type of setting, which type of stone would you recommend? I will most likely be getting a WF ACA just so you guys have an idea of what types of stones I am looking at. So, I guess my question is pretty much what you guys see everyday as far as size vs color/clarity but would the setting I chose make a difference? Ladies, what would you prefer?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I would prefer something just under a ct (I''d be upset if my DH had paid more just to technically hit the 1 ct mark
2.gif
. For an ering I think a G VS2 whiteflash ACA would be amazing, but honestly I''d probably be just as happy with an eyeclean SI1.

If you wanted to go up to the 1.2 mark then I''d go with a lower color/clarity.

just my opinion...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be happy with the biggest G/H eye-clean SI1 in your pricerange. I would rather have larger eye-clean SI1 vs. smaller VS (if you
are talking 10 points or so).

niceice21

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input ladies! Would my setting choice impact your decisions? The halo on Tacori will (i think) help with how large the diamond will appear, so would 10 points really matter? Anyone out there have something in the F/G range to compare with an I faceup? My budget really is borderline between a 1ct H/SI 1, I/VS2 or .83-.85 F/G VVS2/VS1 and a nicer setting.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pictures won't really tell you what you need to know - your local jewellery stores are better for this.

The H SI is a great compromise between size and lack of tint/eyeclean, IMHO
1.gif

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 3:54:46 PM
Author: tyty333
I would be happy with the biggest G/H eye-clean SI1 in your pricerange. I would rather have larger eye-clean SI1 vs. smaller VS (if you

are talking 10 points or so).

I agree 110%

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m the odd one out here - I''d rather have a smaller colorless diamond and Si is fine as long as it''s eye clean.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results