shape
carat
color
clarity

1.75 vs. 2 carat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn''t find anything by using the search feature. Is there a big visual difference between a 1.75 carat ring and a 2.00 carat round brilliant diamond?

There''s a big price difference between the two sizes so I was wondering if the extra price really brought a big visual bang for your buck. Does anyone have a picture comparing the two sizes? I looked up the average measurements of the two sizes, but it''s hard for me to visualize from the ruler to an actual diamond.

Thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread.https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-size-comparison.83517/

diamonds_.02_7.0.gif

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know that I''d call it "big." It''s noticeable, certainly -- or at least it was to me when I was making this exact comparison for my last diamond purchase -- but there''s a difference between what you''ll notice on your own hand while staring at it all day, and what the average person is going to notice while glancing at it from 10 feet away on the sidewalk. So it depends who''s looking, and then it depends on whether that''s worth the money to you.

It''s not a huge difference, and for a ring, the setting is going to matter a lot more than the actual 0.5 mm or so of difference in the stones'' diameters. Even a thin bezel or micropave halo eats that difference up easily.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did this exact comparison and there was a big enough difference to me to splurge for the bigger.

A bezel or halo on a 1.75, even a really delicate one, would probably make it look bigger than a 2ct
1.gif

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/7/2010 12:46:12 PM
Author:Kitcha
Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn''t find anything by using the search feature. Is there a big visual difference between a 1.75 carat ring and a 2.00 carat round brilliant diamond?

There''s a big price difference between the two sizes so I was wondering if the extra price really brought a big visual bang for your buck. Does anyone have a picture comparing the two sizes? I looked up the average measurements of the two sizes, but it''s hard for me to visualize from the ruler to an actual diamond.

Thanks!
You could always shoot for a 1.9-ish, that really wouldn''t be visible.

--Joshua

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
A .3mm difference in noticable to the eye. Worth the premium? Maybe, maybe not, only you can say.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the same cut-quality, it is a difference that is surely noticeable in side-by-side-comparisons. Whether it is worth the extra dollars, is a personal decision.

When comparing different cut-qualities, you could be surprised by the outcome. When visiting some of our dealers, I regularly compare, together with their sales-associates and clients, such sizes in different cut-qualities. For instance, I will have them put a great-cut 1.70 next to a 2.00 average-cut. Even with the diameter-size of the 2Ct being more than the 1.70, most will feel that the 1.70 looks bigger. Such testing turns out that a great cut can overcome between 10 to 20% in weight-difference, depending on which average quality one is comparing to.

Honestly, I was surprised to by the extent of the effect. Kudos and thank you to Garry Holloway for first explaining and showing me this.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results