shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick brides...tell me what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
My "niece" is getting married this July...her bridal shower is in May. I am not attending either event, but I want to send a nice gift.

What would your thoughts be if you received a recipe box with recipes from all the people in attendance at your shower?

Now, it''s not just any box...it''s an open top, Ash-wood box, handmade, signed and numbered...filled with handmade letter pressed cards. On the back I would emboss a place for the recipe-giver to sign.

She is having a rather large shower...so I would need to get the cards, emboss them, send them out, get them back, organize and send them to the MOB. Not to mention, we''re in the process of trying to move so at anytime I could get pretty busy...

Would you enjoy a gift like this, would you see the value in it?

Thanks!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I''ll tell you my honest opinion -

If she is domestic and loves to cook, then I think it''s a great idea, and I''m sure she''d appreciate the effort you put into making it. If, however, she is anything like me, who cooks about 5 things over and over even though I have 30 cookbooks on my shelves, you might want to reconsider. Only you know on which end of the spectrum she falls!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 9:34:41 PM
Author: sonnyjane
I''ll tell you my honest opinion -

If she is domestic and loves to cook, then I think it''s a great idea, and I''m sure she''d appreciate the effort you put into making it. If, however, she is anything like me, who cooks about 5 things over and over even though I have 30 cookbooks on my shelves, you might want to reconsider. Only you know on which end of the spectrum she falls!

I really have no idea if she is a cook or not. I don''t know her very well at all. She is around my age...just moved into her first place with her Fi. I know that, even having never cooked before, there are times when I want a particular recipe or want to try something new. I can imagine myself enjoy something like this. I know it''s a popular shower gift...and outside of that I''m at a loss...they didn''t register and I don''t know her particular tastes...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
It wouldn''t be valuable to me because I don''t cook. It sounds like a lot of effort, which I''m sure she''ll appreciate, but why not make the effort to find out what she actually needs/wants? I''m sure a phone call or two is all it would take to find out if she''s going to register and if not, what she would like.

Besides, if her shower''s not until May she has plenty of time to register.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
To be perfectly honest, I''d LOVE it. But my DH and I are *notoriously* good in the kitchen. We both love to cook and bake, and when we moved in together we had to figure out what to do with two sets of Calphalon pots and pans, two sets of Henckels knives, and two Kitchenaid stand mixers! We entertain A LOT.

I have lots of friends that it might be lost on, but I really do think that anyone would appreciate the obvious effort, even if they didn''t love the gift itself. But as people mentioned, it would only take a phone call or two to find out which category she falls into. :)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don't know her well I wouldn't do it. Unless you can fish around and find out if she cooks or not (or wants to cook). A gift like that could be a home run for someone who loves to cook or a throw out for someone who hates to cook. And it would be SO much work it would be a shame if she tucked it into a closet and never looked at it again KWIM?

Otherwise I know you hate gift cards but that or a check would probably be greatly appreciated if you are really at a loss for what to get her. But first I would call the MOB and ask if the daughter is registered (or will be). If she's like me she may not have wanted the registries on the invites-so you'll need to ask someone.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My friends did this for me for my bridal shower.

I cook every single night, and I love doing it. And I think it was a really nice, thoughtful gift, but I've never actually used it.

I'd give her letter pressed personal stationery, instead. Correspondence cards would be my top choice.
And, if you think she will be living with her FI at their new home for a while, I'd also give her an embosser with their address and name on it. I have one from P.S.A. and I use it all the time.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 10:55:58 PM
Author: Haven
My friends did this for me for my bridal shower.

I cook every single night, and I love doing it. And I think it was a really nice, thoughtful gift, but I''ve never actually used it.

I''d give her letter pressed personal stationery, instead. Correspondence cards would be my top choice.

And, if you think she will be living with her FI at their new home for a while, I''d also give her an embosser with their address and name on it. I have one from P.S.A. and I use it all the time.

I read about jerseygirl getting a cookbook with recipes from everyone invited to the shower as a gift and I thought it was such a personal gift that I did it for my friend as well. I don''t know if she has tried any of the recipes but she does cook a lot with her husband. If I received something like that I would love it but I also really love Haven''s idea of personalized letterpress stationery.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone...

Just wanted to let you all know that I just got off the phone with my SIL...who thought the idea was great. I pulled the trigger. I really like the set I bought her...but I may add the letter pressed stationary or something like that for her wedding gift since I love that idea too!

Thanks ALL!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
As long as she cooks I think it could be a great gift! Let us know how she likes it
9.gif

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
I think it is a nice idea. I got something similar to that as a little extra at my shower. If you can coordinate with the person throwing the shower it would be great if you can add the recipe cards and and a self-addressed stamped envelope into the shower invites.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s a really sweet thing to do, and she''ll appreciate the effort (and it sounds like a lot) even if she and FI aren''t in love with the kitchen
1.gif

Who knows, maybe having all those family recipes on hand will bring out her inner chef?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 10:00:54 PM
Author: yssie
I think it''s a really sweet thing to do, and she''ll appreciate the effort (and it sounds like a lot) even if she and FI aren''t in love with the kitchen
1.gif

Who knows, maybe having all those family recipes on hand will bring out her inner chef?

That''s exactly what I was going to say! If she''s not a cook, this gift may inspire her. I think it''s a great idea!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would love it. You might ask folks for quick/easy/30 minute meal type recipes for the busy working couple.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Italia- I read your update, I hope she loves it.

Quick question... how do you plan on having all of the guests fill out the cards for her?

One of my shower''s was a "Recipe" shower, in which all of the guests were sent the recipe card with their invitation, and were told to bring it to the shower, already filled out. I''m just wondering for my own .02

5.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I am having little cards printed asking the guests to please fill out the recipe cards and mail them back, reminding them that is a surprise so not to tell the bride. I will include a pre-posted envelope and 4 recipe cards.

Once the cards are back I will sort them and then mail the package off to my SIL who will give it to the bride at her shower from me.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I don't cook, I hate cooking, would rather shoot myself in the foot than cook.

That being said, I am very sentimental and would absolutely LOVE this gift. It would be a reminder to me of all the people who attended my shower, and it would probably be one of my favorite gifts if I received it, whether I used it or not. It's like a little piece of everyone.

ETA: as time goes by, she will also have all the handwritten recipes from all of her loved ones and friends from the past, so it will be valuable in that regard as well.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 11:10:08 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I am having little cards printed asking the guests to please fill out the recipe cards and mail them back, reminding them that is a surprise so not to tell the bride. I will include a pre-posted envelope and 4 recipe cards.

Once the cards are back I will sort them and then mail the package off to my SIL who will give it to the bride at her shower from me.
Thanks for coming back and explaining. I hope it all works out and she enjoys it.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I had this done for my bridal shower too and I love it! Many of the recipes in it were ones I had been trying to get for years :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results