shape
carat
color
clarity

Criticism and Praise Please-Decision Time!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NoviceNYC

Rough_Rock
I think I have actually found my precious but before putting my money down I wanted to post 4 stones and get your opinions. I have leared so much from everyone here and this board has truly helped me in so many ways to find my ideal diamond and, seriously, for the best prices out there! That to be saved for a separate post. So here are the stones. PLEASE pick away and let me know your favorite!

A)
Carat-1.706
Color-G
Clarity-VS1
HCA-1.5
Dimentions-7.62-7.64x4.75
Table-56
Depth62.3
Crown-34.7
Pavillion-40.9
Girdle-Medium
Polish/Symm-EX/EX

B)
Carat-1.658
Color-G
Clarity-VVS2
HCA-1.6
Dimentions-7.58-7.62x4.75
Table-55
Depth61.8
Crown-35
Pavillion-40.8
Girdle-STK
Polish/Symm-EX/EX

C)
Carat-1.7
Color-G
Clarity-VS1
HCA-.7
Dimentions-7.75-7.78x4.69
Table-55
Depth-60.4
Crown-34.2
Pavillion-40.7
Girdle-Thin-Medium
Polish/Symm-VG/EX

D)
Carat-1.71
Color-F
Clarity-VS1
HCA-1.6
Dimentions-7.63-7.67x4.74
Table-55
Depth-62
Crown-35
Pavillion-40.8
Girdle-Med-STK
Polish/Symm-EX/EX

jbernste

Rough_Rock
My vote's for C. The numbers are solid, you're not overpaying for vvs clarity, and, best of all, it'll face up bigger than the others. I kinda like that the polish is only VG, since you get a bit of a price break for a notch down in a factor where everyone seems to say it's impossible to distinguish between EX and VG.

The others, being fairly deep, have some extra weight where you can't show it off.

That said, price is, of course, an important factor that you've left out of the equation. My opinion might change if you were overpaying for C relative to the others.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the color& clarity combinations G-VS1 sounds the most attractive. The HCAs just mean "good potential" - I would take the HCA=2 threshold for good and not interpret these further. This leaves price to decide betwene #A and #C... I suppose. The difference in size between the two would be minute - one would need to see them unmounted, side by side to pick the tenth of a mm up.

My 0.2, of course.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'm gonna disent. I'm feelin the love for A.

But, a crucial part is left out of the equation - prices. It could sway me another way. Or are they comparable?

Good luck.

NoviceNYC

Rough_Rock
Actually I was going to leave out the prices to hear everyone's opinions first BUT what the heck

A=15,234
B=14,546
C=14,262
D=15,990

Thank you jbernste, valerie101, and fire&ice. Just curious Fire&Ice; why A? I know number wise C is amazing (as are all) and it looks the largest so just curious.
Thank you!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
On paper...... it's a toss-up between C and A, with the slight edge in preference going to C. C has an awesome crown/pav relationship, I think, and it's likely to offer a bit of a price break due to VG polish (which won't be noticeable). It also offers the biggest look with more MM.

However, A is technically an "AGS 0" stone (which C is not due to VG polish), and it's proportions are also GORGEOUS.

I'm not as wild about B (premium for VVS and a bit of weight retention in girdle/depth), or D (premium for color and again a wee bit of weight retention in depth/girdle.)

Of course, the above is providing that the stones do indeed perform as the numbers suggest they should.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/16/2004 5:16:21 PM NoviceNYC wrote:

. Just curious Fire&Ice; why A? I know number wise C is amazing (as are all) and it looks the largest so just curious.
Thank you! ----------------

I'm the crazy renegade here on PS. My gut is telling me A is the winner - tight parameters, the ex/ex & the stone is shy of the 1.75 mark - someone was lovin that stone when they cut it. To me C is in the running. Who has the stones & are they in their inventory to give you an eyeball?

Now, if the stone A was a VS2 at less money I'd be really feelin the love even more.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My gut was for C in the first place, and seeing the prices reinforces that feeling.

The proportions on C are extremely tight.....in fact, a bit more so than A in my opinion. The difference between VG and EX polish isn't one your eye will see, but at a $1K difference, your wallet will know!

That's a HUGE chunk of money to save, and it's being saved on a technical difference, not a visible difference.

C all the way.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I like the angles on C, as well as the clarity, depth and larger size. It probably will face up more white than A due to the angles. Price is good too!
10.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm with Alj on this one.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I, too, would choose stone C, basically because of the very nice spread and sweet spot of proportions. My second pick would be stone A, even though it's a little deeper and measures about 0.10 less than stone A.
But I think that you can't go wrong with any of these!
9.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Since C is the 'obvious' choice, are you going to make this interesting by revealing that one of the other ones had something special going for it that caught your eye?
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Yep -- I'm in the C camp too. I like that it isn't as deep and has great angles. It is almost as tightly cut as A, but not as deep. Cheaper and larger too....what's not to love?
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'm still feelin the love with A. Again, my gut is telling me this one just has somethin a little special. I would LOVE to see C&A side by side. I would love to have a PS taste test done on these.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Why is C priced at 1k lower?

sluke

Shiny_Rock
My vote is for C. Great stone.

NoviceNYC

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your input. I don't have pictures of these 2 stones unfortunately but honestly, look wise they both (A&C) are beautifal. I just think C was a very rare find. I had faith in the vendor that he would come up with some beauties for me to see and low and behold he did. A had excellent H&A (they had the H&A viewer for me to look) and from what I could tell so does C. I like to call C my "diamond in the rough" very cheesy I know but true. I called the vendor and told him we will take C. The rest is in my boyfriend's hands and I can't wait for my stone and setting to meet.
9.gif
Thank you all again!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Well, your eyes have it. If you see little to no difference between A & C, then I'd save the money all day long!

Curious, the reason I was leaning towards A is because sometimes deeper stones have more fire. Did you experience that with your eyes?

Great choice! And, congrats!

NoviceNYC

Rough_Rock
I can't really say A had more fire than C only because they were at two different vendors and could not compare them. They both had amazing light return and sparkle. What I can say about C's fire is in another post I posted a question about why a friends stone, which was no where near "ideal", it just absolutely sparkled, so much more so than most stones I had seen.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ideal-prop-vs-light-return-confused.14583/

So I figured if I could not compare "my" stones side by side (A,B,C,and D)I would bring her and compare the stones to hers-the ole sparkle factor. Needless to say C was on par with hers if not more so. It was just stunning. That pretty much sealed the deal for me that C was the winner. Before making my final decision I really wanted to see if the board could find anything wrong with C before purchasing. I am happy I did and so happy to find my little "diamond in the rough".
9.gif
appl.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/17/2004 2:10:09 PM fire&ice wrote:

Why is C priced at 1k lower? ----------------

For the reasons I mentioned above.....it is technically not an AGS stone because of the VG/VG, so it doesn't carry the premium of the AGS0.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/17/2004 5:51:36 PM NoviceNYC wrote:

So I figured if I could not compare 'my' stones side by side (A,B,C,and D)I would bring her and compare the stones to hers-the ole sparkle factor. Needless to say C was on par with hers if not more so. It was just stunning. That pretty much sealed the deal for me that C was the winner.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Yay! That was so clever. I wish I could have done that! Would have saved myself a bunch of quality time if I had a friend who had a great looking diamond. I can't wait to have you post pictures...probably getting ahead of myself here...what setting are you contemplating?

NoviceNYC

Rough_Rock
She was terrific to come with me. It just completely helped me decide. The setting I am getting is by Ritani. The attached picture isn't the best but it is the only one on the web since it is a new design. Mine is with a round of course. It's micro pave with a thin micro pave band circling the diamond under the girdle. I will post pictures when the whole ring is completed. I CAN'T WAIT. I am so happy and excited.
appl.gif

rit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results