shape
carat
color
clarity

what do you think of this rock?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pounch

Rough_Rock
Hello just picked up this rock getting mixed reviews. When I looked at it next to another diamond at the jeweller's. My rock was not as bright. Even though it was a same cut. The one I got is:
Ags certified
round brilliant
.815 cts
ideal 0
1.5 (g)
ags 4 (vs2)
measures 5.97- 6.01 x 3.71mm
Fluorescence negligible
$3400 US

The other one next to it which looked brighter was
Gemscan certified
1.19 cts
ideal cut
G color
SI 1
I dont have the measurement data, I dont think that would matter. I was under the impression that if I got an AGS certified diamond that it would be paying more for it but would get the best in its class. Why does the other one look brighter? Should I reconsider?
Few comments would be appreciated.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Stats and numbers are a great way to eliminate potential poor performers, but the final proof is in the pudding.....and that's seeing the diamond in person. You can do that, or you can have an appraiser do it for you, but numbers aren't the final step.....eyeballing a stone is.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm well there isn't enough data on either stone given for people to really comment....

AGS0 does NOT guarantee a lively, beautiful stone. It just means the specs are nice...but that does not alwas 'add up' to a great looking stone.

If you can get table and depth information on both stones, as well as crown and pavilion angle (your AGS cert should have all of that). Is GemScan even a recognized lab for grading or more like an appraisal document?

Lastly, you note that the other diamond looked brighter. It could have been a slightly more shallow cut which may show more brightness than a more ideal cut. Brightness is not a good or bad thing by itself, you have to take it into consideration with the other details as well (fire, scint, contrast).

pounch

Rough_Rock
Thank you.
The proportions are as follows table 57% depth, 61.9% pointed cutlet, I got the diamond on the internet and confirmrd it with another local reputable jeweller, that the diamond matches the cert. But she seemed as if i had paid too much for it. Is that a Jewellers tactic because then she gives me the speech that I should just enjoy it and that it should be a learning curve. I am just confused.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 4/17/2004 2:55:11 AM pounch wrote:

Is that a Jewellers tactic because then she gives me the speech that I should just enjoy it and that it should be a learning curve. I am just confused.----------------

Most likely... I hate this type of chat "oh, why haven't you bought from us it would have been that XXX much cheaper!". Sometimes it is so, but most of times if you actually ask them to beta the respective price there will be some excuse comming, not merchandise.

You did pay some premium for the cut (maybe $500?), so it would have been easiy for someone to offer a lesser stone, cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results