shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally, a lavender Spinel of my own!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Happy New Year All!!!

As I've mentioned in another thread, a lavender / violet coloured spinel was actually the very first gem I desired when I discovered CS and the PS recommended cutters - I sent out feelers to all the regulars but nobody ever had any suitable rough.

That was over a year ago I think, and after an un-nerving *18 day journey* ! from the US, my lavender spinel finally hit my doorstep the other day
36.gif

It is a 6.1mm round from Barry B.
The colour is gorgeous, but also kinda hard to describe - its an ideal pretty lavender colour with hints of pink in diffused sunlight, whilst a periwinkle blue with touches of violet in direct sun.

I'm very grateful to Barry for finally finding me my spinel - I've got a bunch of photos to post, but my apologies as it was extremely windy so they aren't overly creative, in fear of the lil guy blowing away !

First, Barry's photo which is as usual very close to true life colour:

Cheers for looking!
35.gif

MVC-117Sgaj.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
These first few show it indoors, natural light:

DSC06387rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

DSC06395rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Barry''s cutting is phenomenal as usual, and this lil guy has SO much sparkle all the time, and also alot of coloured fire whilst in sun - I love spinels!

DSC06394rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
outside now - showing the lighter periwinkle colour, and also how much it sparkles:

DSC06399rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

DSC06415rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
handshots, to show perspective - it's admittedly not the biggest size, but considering the difficulty in finding the colour I wasn't about to say no!

I also have what I think could be a good setting idea to compensate for the size, I'll post about that a lil later..
5.gif
11.gif

DSC06417rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
closer to the colour I tend to see:

DSC06424rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
These next few were taken next to my new sapphire ring, for metal and size comparisons..

jff, I chucked on this YG milgrain band and liked it as a combo with my platinum sapphire ring quite a bit..
I know it may not be everyone's tastes, but I love the look of the mixed metals with the blue sapphire..

does anyone think it's silly to wear it like this even though I'm not married yet..? lol..
9.gif

DSC06454rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

DSC06450rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
looking quite "periwinkle" next to the sapph..

DSC06448rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
and here''s a couple I thought were nice of just the sapph ring with the gold band..
interested in "yay or nay''s" for this look..?

DSC06430rs.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
second..

Okay, will leave it there for now to go relax..

back later with setting idea
5.gif

DSC06435rs.JPG

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Happy new year! what a gorgeous spinel! congrats
9.gif

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
What a lovely stone!
I also like the look of your sapphire ring with the gold band..

Happy New Year!
1.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pink flashes really show don''t they? Does the spinel veer more to blue or does it change colour a bit? In some of your photos it has a lavender/steel look but then in others it looks very blue! A very pretty interesting stone!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty spinel! Is this one going in a halo of sorts?
31.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely spinel! I love their sharp steely quality.

I like the yellow gold with the sapphire ring personally, but I like to mismatch in general, haha!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Well, there isn''t much that doesn''t look good with your sapphire, it IS the star of the show!

Really pretty spinel too, very sparkly.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Rarely do I say this for light blues, but that is really nice! Honestly I''d think about something minimalistic, dainty and white for the setting, to keep it as open as possible around the stone as it''s sparkliness (making up the words again) should really be brought out as much as possible. It''s got that icy combination of high transparency and brilliance which I''m sure looks amazing IRL.

Regardng mixing and matching - if you like it, don''t think twice. I think your sapphire has such a color (at least in photos) that it looks nice next to either of the metals, and I honestly never think about what some ring, or a combination of them, might mean.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG that stone is SPECTACULAR - looking at your pictures makes me think I really need a lavender spinel - how beautiful!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous spinel!! I love the color. Your sapphire ring is really beautiful as well!!!
30.gif
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barry''s cutting is so amazing, especially on spinels, it''s perfect. It''s a lovely stone, and I can''t wait to see what you''re going to do with it. Thanks for the additional pictures of your wonderful sapphire ring - can never get enough of those.
30.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I like it a lot! I love how lavender and violet sapphires react to the light. Yours is beautiful and so interesting to look at!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new year AJ! Your new Barry spinel is a lovely color.

How about a halo in white gold? That would take your 6mm to 8 or 9 mm.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous color!

I think it would look killer in a delicate diamond halo.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous stone, congratulations! I can''t wait to see it set. BTW, your sapphire ER is gorgeous!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Stunning spinel, AJ! Very pretty compliment to your sapphire, but the sapphire remains on center stage.
3.gif

The two rings together are fine, but I think what I like best about them is that they each will look great on their own. Over the years I have loved having a plain gold band to wear on its own when I was busy with activities where I couldn''t wear my diamond ring. As for together, they are like what royality wears, so how can you go wrong?
2.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful spinel, AJ! I especially love the flashes of different colors - all those pinks, periwinkles, and lavenders make for a very interesting stone. I''d be twirling that one around all day just to see what colors it shows. Looking forward to seeing your setting idea - very intriguing!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a beautiful spinel AJ! That lavender color is so gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing your idea for this one!

And, I like the yg band w/your sapph-I like when things go together w/out being matched exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results