shape
carat
color
clarity

compare two diamonds, or suggest another

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rothko

Rough_Rock
ADDENDUM::
AHHHH! The diamond I wanted (1.29 I SI1 GOG) got sold!!
However, Jonathon at GOG suggested this stone:

replacement GOG

I think its pretty good but I want to hear some opinions. Here are the stats and some more pictures:

Carat Weight: 1.21
Clarity: VS1
Color: J
Shape: Round brilliant
Cut External
Polish: GIA ~ Excellent
Symmetry: GIA ~ Excellent
Proportions: AGS ~ Ideal
Symmetry ~ Hearts & Arrows
Light Return ~ Excellent
Price ~ $ 5,662.
Bank wire discount ~ $ 5,538.

Brilliance Scope: VH VH VH
Isee2: 9.7
eye clean
face white

BR121JVS1-1.jpg

BR121JVS1-HEARTS.jpg

BR121JVS1-ARROWS2.jpg

BR121JVS1-LTSC.jpg

Again, same questions... Is this a super bright diamond that will make my gf's friends jealous (her criteria :) )?

Would this look good in a platinum setting?

Thanks so much for all the answers so far!

END ADDENDUM

Hello all,

If you have the inclination, please take a look at these two diamonds and tell me your thoughts.

I'm trying to maximize bang for buck, i.e. if I can't see a defect (or color) without really paying attention and looking closely, its fine by me. With that said, I'd like a ring that's ~1.25 carats and as brilliant and scintillating as possible :)

I'm aiming for I-G, SI1-VS1, medium flouresence ...)

Choice 2:
Good Old Gold

here

Carat Weight: 1.29
Clarity: SI1
Color: I
Shape: Round brilliant
Polish: GIA ~ Excellent
Symmetry: GIA ~ Excellent
Proportions: AGS ~ Ideal
Symmetry ~ Hearts & Arrows
Light Return ~ Excellent
Price ~ $ 6,186.
Bank wire discount ~ $ 6050.
The brilliance scope is VH VH VH!

BR129ISI1-2.jpg

BR129ISI1-ARROWS.jpg

BR129ISI1-HEARTS.jpg

BR129ISI1-LTSC.jpg

Two questions:
Will you be able to see the occlusions from hands length?

Will either of these diamonds look good in a platinum setting?

Thanks for all your help guys!

rothko

Rough_Rock
Anyone? Any thoughts?

Bueller? Bueller?

Seriously, any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Its just hard for me to convert these static pictures into a real stone.

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are perfect ! Whatever difference in cut (the precise H&A and Bscope seal of approval) does seem to favor the GOG stone, but it would be on purely philosophical ground.

The 'red' pictures come from two different tools... so you would need the respective grain of salt to compare them (explained on GOG site, btw.).

Most honestly, the #1 is great but the second amazing - not sure if this kind of precission produces a notable visual impact compared to the already top notch first stone, however, I one can only admire the successful overdoing on all fronts
1.gif

So... same color, cut close enough for good measure, and a couple of nothches in clarity. I am quite curious why the SI1 got near a VS1 on the same list ?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
*BUMP*

Something ____doo economics...anyone...anyone...?

I would personally say it's a tough choice they are both lovely!!! The GOG stone has great stats, but out of a SLIGHT clarity biase, with the SI1 inclusion being in the CENTER of the stone, I would personally vote #1.

Also, I am sort of partial to the slightly lower depth of the first stone, with a table looks to be in better ratio than the second stone. Just my totally unprofessional thoughts though. Maybe some of the RB people can help out...?

maristidou

Rough_Rock
I think the one from GOG is a better value for your money. Being an SI1 it should be eye clean (ask them to tell you) meaning you will not be able to see anything looking down the table of the stone (or when its mounted). If you want to go for something better maybe upgrading the color to H or G would be better. But if you could find an I SI1 stone with medium florescence that would be the cheapest way to go (and you might actually like the look of the fluorescence).

Just my thoughts.

Melina

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny or not, in both magnified pictures there is just one inclusion most aparent - and the pictues look so much alike! I am quite sure SI would have more 'stuff' going on inside than the VS... but according to those pics, both stones look very clean.

Still curious about your choice of clarity grades
1.gif

$500 difference for VS1 instead of SI1... gets my vote fro the first stone - if this was not already clearly stated.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
my 2c
for me this is a no brainer if the GOG diamond is eyeclean it wins hands down.
The GOG diamond is most likely eye clean because rhino usualy says if it isnt on the diamonds webpage with the diamond.
Just to make sure ask :}
I also love the B-scope readings on the GOG diamond.
Ask him for the isee2 score if its over 9.0 then id snag it if its over 9.5 even better if its 9.8 snag the diamond in a New York minute :}

The $500 would be better spent on the setting or wedding ring.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 4/16/2004 4:46:26 PM rothko wrote:

I still have the basic questions:

Assuming that the GOG diamond is eye clean, would anyone be able to see the inclusion if they looked at it without magnification?

No.

In other words, is the brilliance of the diamond going to overpower any other attributes (defects)?

Yes.

Does the price seem right for these stones?

Yes.

----------------

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two diamodns: same best cut, same color, just about the same price, both eye clean...

Not easy! I sort of like the little note on fluorescence on #1. It these two little guys would bear improvement in any area that would be color - not clarity or cut.

This is a case of "overanalysis" if there ever was one.
It should boil down to your preference for one seller or another, I suppose.

I don't think the price of the first stone was discounted for the inclusion - unless it is the first not-eye clean VS1 I ever came accross in person or picture.

PS: i can't even believe I am doing this... however, the inclusion on the table of the VS is just half the size of the inclusion in the SI (2% versus 4% of the diameter of the stones - which are virtually equal). In both cases we are talking small fractions of a mm making the a printed dot look huge by comparison.
eek.gif

rothko

Rough_Rock
The original two stones had no flourescence. The new GOG (1.21 J ) stone has faint floureschence.

I'm leaning a bit towards GOG now because it just seems like they have such great/in depth analysis! I'd gladly pay a couple hundred extra if I can feel reassured that all these measuresments translate into something great.

Can anyone comment on GOG's return/upgrade policy? I have no intention of returning the ring, but stuff happens, plus, I may want to upgrade in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results