shape
carat
color
clarity

Curious about Tiffany''s...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathio22

Rough_Rock
Ok, I am so curious as to what the fixatio is with Tiffany''s. I may be wrong, but I would their diamonds are way over priced when what really matters is the Tiffany setting? I have a friend, recently engaged, with a Tiffany solitaire. This stone is pretty, but the price paid for the whole thing is ridiculous!!!

So I ask, wouldn''t it have been better to buy the diamond elsewhere and just get a Tiffany setting?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
ahhh...Friday's are the designated Tiffany's debates. We like to reserve some spice before our weekends.

Tiffany's is no different than getting your ring designed by a Mark Morell or a Vatche. it's a brand. The price paid is WORTH IT to the buyer, for the history, the brand and service it comes with. My jeweler certainly doesn't have fancy carpeting and champagne chilled for my shopping pleasure. Hence I got a cheaper stone than if I got it at Tiffany's.

Diamonds are a luxury item, anyway you slice it. Tiffany's just offers a name to go with that luxury and whatever they charge, they are only justified to do so by the demand there is FOR IT!

I chose no Tiffany's for my e-ring, but my sister and her husband did. They are very happy with her ring, except I remember her saying she wish she had a bigger Lucida, but didn't want to pay more. Now I have a bigger rock, but SHE has a Tiffany's. Who is jealous of who? Hard to say.
2.gif
11.gif

But I would take a nice Christian Dior or Carolina Herrera wedding gown over a good knock off if I have the means. Price being ridiuclous or not. BUT, I am a cheapo, so I will most likely get my dress made and save a WHOLE LOT on labels. God bless the person with the Dior or Herrera and Tiffany's rock, but to each his own budget, and to each his own prerogative in spending!

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, Nic, and though my cousin does have a lovely ring (the old Tiffany ribbon ring, which I still love the look of), I can't see paying the price for the label. If I have a designer label, like my G & A ring, tis cause I got it second hand...or like my LV bag, a knockoff.

The only other two rings that I have that could be real are the HW classic setting in plat, and the 'Cartier' oec.

I don't think the Cartier is really a Cartier,and the HW is such a classic setting I think it was a classic before HW.

win

Kiz

Rough_Rock
The SEARCH function works wonders.
search.icon.gif
Search
Use it PLEASE!!!!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/15/2004 12:48:51 PM winyan wrote:

I agree, Nic, and though my cousin does have a lovely ring (the old Tiffany ribbon ring, which I still love the look of), I can't see paying the price for the label. If I have a designer label, like my G & A ring, tis cause I got it second hand...or like my LV bag, a knockoff.

The only other two rings that I have that could be real are the HW classic setting in plat, and the 'Cartier' oec.

I don't think the Cartier is really a Cartier,and the HW is such a classic setting I think it was a classic before HW.

win----------------

Hee hee...I love designer stuff, but at my stage in the game, I am not at the J-Lo level of jewelery buying. If my fiance where a movie star and made millions per movie, I may start hinting at HW or Cartier...BUT alas, he is NOT...
2.gif
and so my only pricey piece is the Harry Winston amethyst and gold ring I got from a family friend for my HS graduation.

Her daughter was the assistant to HW himself, and she got me this little "bauble" for graduating. I LOVE it, and I can't tell you how many compliments I got on how unique it is, but it's yellow gold, so that just never goes with my current stuff...
sad.gif

Oh and Kiz, stop being snide! If that were the case, no one should ever post ANYTHING, as most likely every discussion about crowns and diametes and princess and marquis have all been explained SOMEWHERE before. People who have been here longer don't do that, why should you? It's just another post for Tiffany's to add to the pot!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
BTW, Tiffany only sells its settings with its stones, so you can't get a stone elsewhere and just a Tiffany setting. However, you can get very close copies of the setting, and of course there's the 2nd hand market...

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Nicrez
You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiz

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 4/15/2004 12:59:52 PM Nicrez wrote:

Oh and Kiz, stop being snide! If that were the case, no one should ever post ANYTHING, as most likely every discussion about crowns and diametes and princess and marquis have all been explained SOMEWHERE before. People who have been here longer don't do that, why should you? It's just another post for Tiffany's to add to the pot!----------------

Nicrez,

Snide!!! Hmmm. I was refering to Kathio's question "So I ask, wouldn't it have been better to buy the diamond elsewhere and just get a Tiffany setting?". How many times has this been covered??? This is a waste of a thread in my opinion, unless we are interested in hearing about your jewelery collection (HW, etc.) which I may add does not answer the original question.
Sorry, i havent been here as "long" as you.
11.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 4/15/2004 2:43:36 PM Kiz wrote:

How many times has this been covered??? This is a waste of a thread in my opinion,
----------------

What difference does that make? Where is the law or rule on this forum that limits how many times a question or variation of it can be asked? Oh, that's right.....there ISN'T one.

Yes, you're right - searching is one way to find an answer. Simply asking is another....and that's the way she chose to do her research. That's her right.

If it's a waste in your opinion, then don't bother to answer. Pretty simple to me.

kathio22

Rough_Rock
Kiz, it is people with your negative attitude that make the world nasty. If my question was a waste of thread, then don't read it! Just think about all YOUR precious time YOU wasted by answering! LOL

Have a lovely day...

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany's stones are considered I believe to be AGS0 to AGS2, which generally fall within very good stone cut standards. They are NOT IDEAL stones as we define them hear and DO NOT have the best cuts for optics. Their settings have yet to be perfectly replicated, so their settings seem to be the biggest draw for customers. They have excellent quality.

As Hest said, one can not get a Tiffany ring with a Tiffany diamond, and recently a poster replaced her tiffany diamond and kept her band, and her stone appraised for so little, Tiffany or not. The ring is worth MUCH more as a whole than in it's parts. That said, the band most likely is worth mre than the stone to most people!
naughty.gif
9.gif

Oh and Kiz,

Your gripe is as old as the Tiffany's thread. Search feature, use it. Someone who has been around for 2 days always gets gripey about it.

And this thread is like a line of conversation, and can be pulled in MANY directions. Again, old gripe, get a new one. We've heard it before, and unlike you, we aren't complaining...

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Nicrez. I chose to get a Tiffany ring for my fiancee. I think you really have to value their design,craftmanship,and brand combo to be willing to pay the premium. I was neutral on this issue until I found out that my fiancee really loved the Lucida diamond and setting, which is a Tiffany original design and has yet to be duplicated well. I saw a value in pleasing her desire since it wasn't just the name, "tiffany" and checked out the ring in person. Compared to 90% of rings I've seen, the quality of craftmanship was superior. Plus the diamond itself was beautiful if not technically perfect to standards imposed here on PS. And I gave her the choice of a simple one carat Lucida vs a 1.5 something else. She chose the Lucida. Simple as that.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'm with the duck on this one.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 4/15/2004 3:02:05 PM Nicrez wrote:

Oh and Kiz,

And this thread is like a line of conversation, and can be pulled in MANY directions. Again, old gripe, get a new one. We've heard it before, and unlike you, we aren't complaining...----------------

From the looks of it, this online converstaion is all you have time for.
1359 posts in less than 3 months!!!
eek.gif

Try an get out more often and have a "real" conversation with 3-D people.
Up_to_something.gif
Ooops, it looks like this line of converstaion just got pulled in another direction.

Quack Quack again!

kathio22

Rough_Rock
LOL Kiz, are you jealous that Nic gets paid to chat online?

Come on everyone, can't we just get along!! Seriously, why argue?!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never thought I would say this...but I agree with Kiz on the search function being highly underutilized around here.

Okay now the moment of insanity has passed.

Don't worry Nic...Kiz likes to harass those who actually contribute to the forum in positive ways such as helping others with their posts....rather than lurking silently behind the scenes, and only posting to be an assclown...then when people call him on his behavior, he tells them to get a life.

Anyone want a big glass of irony served ice cold? Anyone?
naughty.gif

Kiz

Rough_Rock
Wow...Mara, 6518 posts in 1.5 years!!!
eek.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist. You better step it up though, Nicrez is on track to catch your record.
All this is being said after picking myself off the floor. I cant believe I had F&I and her majesty Mara agree with me. What is this world coming to.
naughty.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Dearest Kiz,

How about the fact that I have an easy job that requires a lot of internet usage that I get paid very well for?
9.gif

And I LIKE helping people find their stones FOR FREE. Why are YOU here? Defunct comic relief?

I used PS to get my stone. I like the people on this site. I also rarely post on weekends, and not too much at night...

WHILE I AM LIVING MY LIFE IN THE REAL WORLD with HUMAN people...

Aaaaand...I don't need to quack to prove points.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results