shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have an issue with gift cards???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gift cards say, "I don't know what to get you so go pick something yourself and I'll pay for it."
That's fine but what I don't like is:

They KNOW some cards or some balances will go unused.
29.gif

Cash never goes unused.

Some charge monthly fees on unused cards so that $50 card you gave may be worth less by the time the recipient gets around to using it.
29.gif

Cash doesn't shrink.

What I don't like is the giver deciding where the getter has to go the gift.
How did we get talked into that being a good thing?

What if the getter would rather have a snowboard, or pay down a dental bill, than Coldstone ice cream?
Why not just let the getter decide, while throwing away zero of your money?

This is why giving cash is a thousand times smarter.
What? I'm supposed to be touched by your thoughtfullness because you decided I should spend my time selcting something from Ross instead of J.C. Penny?
37.gif

What's happened is stores have convinced us that giving patronage of their store is a thoughtful thing. Oye!

So now it is now considered thoughtful to give someone what amounts to a store restriction?
15.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 12:16:34 PM
Author: Maria D
I don't see the difference between giving a gift card and giving money. I don't understand how one is 'appropriate' and the other crass -- to me they are almost the same thing except the gift card says 'I'm giving you money AND telling you where to spend it.' After the boutique store incident any time I've wanted to gift someone with something from a particular vendor but I don't want to actually buy it -- maybe I don't know their size or what color they'd prefer or maybe for a restaurant I think they would enjoy -- I just write a check instead. On the card I'll write something about how I think they might enjoy spending the gift. If it turns out they don't use it for that new outfit or for a night out at their favorite restaurant because some emergency came up and the money ended up going toward a new washing machine -- oh well. They still appreciate it!
100% right on!! If you want to give me a gift that I can use when and where I want and has no expiration date then just give me cash. What difference does it make if I use it for dinner, shoes or my utility bill. I shouldn't have to "work" or spend money to enjoy it.

The real benefit is for the stores and VISA because they know many don't get used. That's why they charge fees and have expiration dates. They make billions that way.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 4:27:04 PM
Author: neatfreak
Italia, there are plenty of low-cost things to buy at VS-so I am a little perplexed by the comment that you couldn't buy anything in the store with the GC? They have a ton of things under $10.

That being said I also never shop there-but I would venture to say that MANY MANY women in America **love** VS. So to many people it seems like a 'safe' gift.

If it's something you really can't/won't use I am SURE a women's shelter would be happy to receive it as a donation. They always have women who need underwear and things like that.
Ditto, sounds like a thoughtful gift to me and if you can't use it I would give it to a women's shelter; they always can use lotion, make up, etc. If it was $10 to Tiffany's then that would be another story.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Italia: I do totally understand what you''re saying. VS is a VERY specific kind of store--if someone doesn''t know you well enough to know if you like that store, it''s not so thoughtful for them to give you a GC to that store. I don''t think that makes you ungrateful--I think it''s somewhat irritating.

Sure, it''s nice for people to get you something, but I always hate when I get a GC to a place at which I don''t (and have no interest to) shop...

Another issue I have with GCs is more particular to my in-laws...they set a $25pp limit on Christmas, which is fair since we are all struggling financially...but they still ASK for AmEx/Visa GCs:

1. I hate when people request something for a gift when I haven''t even asked them, and

2. If you all want GCs, how about we all just pass around $25 per person (like kenny said)...or better yet, let''s just all keep our $25pp in our pockets. Isn''t the point of the holidays and gift-giving to show people you are thinking of them and care about them, and gave thought to something??

I always appreciate a gift when it seems that someone really put thought into it, regardless of the price, and regardless of whether or not I really even love it. DH has bought me things I haven''t used, but I could see why he bought them for me, and the fact that he gave it thought and tried meant more to me than anything else.

GCs are great for people you don''t know well, or people for whom it''s hard to buy...but I agree that GCs to particular stores, when you don''t know if the recipient likes the store, is not very cool.

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I appreciate gift cards as I do any gift. I'm not going to judge anyone who gives me a gift out of their pocket as they could have just as easily given me nothing.

In Australia the most common are Coles Myer, Woolworths group or Westfield Gift cards and all can be spent at a multitude of stores including groceries. I know most of my friends who were given a lot of gift cards at their weddings spent a few on things they were planning on buying for the home and then the rest went towards their groceries for a few months. Since Coles/Woolworths own half of Australian anyway chances are if I gave/was given cash it would still end up in the same hands.

When we went out to spend our engagement gift money recently I found the gift cards easiest to spend. Some things that I had wanted for a long time but wouldn't normally buy for myself but since I had to spend this money at this store it made it ok, e.g. spending $80 on kitchen scales I really liked vs $25 on some functional but less esthetically pleasing ones. The money we were gifted is still sitting in the bank while we struggle with how to spend it sensibly.

I do agree though that small value gift cards are sometimes difficult to spend as are very specific ones.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really think that you should be gracious in accepting gifts. Judging a gift by the amount of thought that you perceive went into its purchase isn''t very becoming, IMO.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 8:52:46 PM
Author: Haven
I really think that you should be gracious in accepting gifts. Judging a gift by the amount of thought that you perceive went into its purchase isn''t very becoming, IMO.

Ditto, this.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

I completely agree with Haven.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 9:41:38 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Ditto, this.
Thritto.

I have a feeling this is not so much about a gift card but about feelings towards the gift giver.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Okay...the GC was for a whopping $5.00! Yep, that''s right.

I don''t buy makeup or lotions or anything like that from retail stores since I have professional cards that allow me discounts direct from the company. I would just never buy that stuff at retail. Not to mention I have a "quality" issue with most stores like that...without going into it, I''m jaded.

As far as underwear...it''s a thought, but ehh, I have a particular brand/style I like and I''m picky like that.

I think I''ll just stick it in my drawer and order her something from there for next Christmas...or maybe I''ll give it to my sister (college student) because she likes that place.

For me, it was just all wrong-wrong-wrong.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
And...

I do appreciate that they thought of me...but, likewise, I thought of them as well. Giving gifts at my IL''s is what we do. And as I said, not only do I do for my BIL & SIL...I do for her children as well.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, WOW. $5? I'm not understanding why someone would give a $5 gift card to anywhere but maybe Starbucks. What a strange gift. And I know you should be grateful for all gifts, but still.

I guess I would just save it for their semi-annual sale and buy some cheap undies!

ETA is that all she gave you? I hope not! If that's all she gave you I strongly suggest saving it for next year and giving it back to her for her gift.
11.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
$5? How weird. I wouldn't think GCs would be available in such small amounts from a clothing store, because why even bother? $25 cards are the lowest amount you can order online according to the VS website. Maybe it's different if you buy in-store?
33.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2009 12:02:02 AM
Author: EBree
$5? How weird. I wouldn''t think GCs would be available in such small amounts from a clothing store, because why even bother? $25 cards are the lowest amount you can order online according to the VS website. Maybe it''s different if you buy in-store?
33.gif

I was very confused too. But, yes, there was $5.00 on the card. I''m not sure if she bought it online, maybe it was "recycled"...I have no idea.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 11:36:38 PM
Author: thing2of2
Okay, WOW. $5? I''m not understanding why someone would give a $5 gift card to anywhere but maybe Starbucks. What a strange gift. And I know you should be grateful for all gifts, but still.

I guess I would just save it for their semi-annual sale and buy some cheap undies!

ETA is that all she gave you? I hope not! If that''s all she gave you I strongly suggest saving it for next year and giving it back to her for her gift.
11.gif

No, that wasn''t all...

I was also given a wine charm tree and star lantern, the same two items they gave my IL''s neighbor.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just a thought. . .I stopped at the mall today and with all the sales going on, *to me* it makes more sense for a person to give a GC knowing that the person receiving it will be able to use it after Christmas on sale items, then to give them an item from the store at full-price.

Seriously, though. . .the gift card was for $5.00?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
giving someone $5 is just odd. why would someone do that?

BUT, i almost feel like there might be some confusion, aka what if she had a gift card she was using that she confused with one she got for you? unless you mark them up, a lot of times it's hard to tell what you have in front of you. it would be ironic if in a few weeks or something she wrote or called and said OMG you'll never believe what i did hahaa.

is it $5 flat/even or like $5.06 or something. that might speak even more to a mistake card. either way, does it REALLY matter? just don't use the card and if it makes you feel better..next time just don't put much if any thought into the gift for them...simplify. i don't know that i would set it aside to use for her gift a year later or whatever.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I don''t know b/c I didn''t shop there during Christmas, but maybe it was one of those promotions where if you spent a certain amount, they gave you a $5 gift card to use and she wanted to add it to your gift as a little something extra? I think it is a little odd, but I would just keep it in your wallet and whenever you''re at the mall, just go get some underwear or socks or something....

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Italia, have you been to victoriassecret.com? I don''t buy any underwear from there, but I actually really like their clothes and shoes, and I usually get a bathing suit from there every year. They have other accessories as well, like belts and purses, or if the card is for a really low amount you could always get something like comfy pj''s, camis, or fuzzy socks, etc.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
My thing is, just give me cash!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before you toss the card or do anything rash, call the number on the back and confirm the amount. I''ve never heard of anyone giving a GC to VS for $5. That''s just not a reasonable amount. I''d like to give the giver the benefit of the doubt and say they forgot a 2 or a 0.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 8:07:40 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 12/27/2009 4:27:04 PM
Author: neatfreak
Italia, there are plenty of low-cost things to buy at VS-so I am a little perplexed by the comment that you couldn''t buy anything in the store with the GC? They have a ton of things under $10.

That being said I also never shop there-but I would venture to say that MANY MANY women in America **love** VS. So to many people it seems like a ''safe'' gift.

If it''s something you really can''t/won''t use I am SURE a women''s shelter would be happy to receive it as a donation. They always have women who need underwear and things like that.
Ditto, sounds like a thoughtful gift to me and if you can''t use it I would give it to a women''s shelter; they always can use lotion, make up, etc. If it was $10 to Tiffany''s then that would be another story.
I agree a women''s shelter could definately use this. Many women head here w/ nothing but the clothes on their back. My old boss had to leave an abusive husband and went to a women''s shelter with her kids. She had to leave with nothing because he''s be suspicious, so when she picked the kids up from school she never returned.

Even $5 though maybe not much, could have purchased a pair of undies at their annual sale- to have helped at least one woman in need. So I think that this is a wonderful idea.

However, I cannot believe someone would give only $5 to their SIL even on principle alone. I''d hope that a digit was left off - because I''d be embarrased to give that as a gift. I agree, $5 is more suited as a gift card to Starbucks, at least you could get a couple cups of coffee...
33.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I googled it, and sometimes (as Steph said) they give $5 gift cards as promotional deals -- try on this bra and get a $5 gift card. Maybe the gift giver had it and thought it was a nice something extra you could put toward a purchase. I personally don''t buy VS lingerie, but got some nice pajama pants from there a few years back as a gift. You could try something like that. Or, give it to a friend who shops there!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
VS does have little mini lotions you can buy for $5.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, now usually I love gift cards, and I agree that its the thought that counts..But come on! A 5 dollar gift card to VS from your SIL?! I just think that is rude, especially considering that you have her plus BIL and 2 kids to buy for. Im of the opinion that if I spend X amount for my BIL, I should spend an equal amount on SIL, to spend less kind of says you dont like the person IMHO. UNLESS, (and this is the only time acceptable to spend less to me) they are unmarried, which clearly is not the case for you. I honestly would probably just do a small couple gift for BIL and SIL and a gift for the kids next year. Just me though.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2009 11:29:02 AM
Author: sctsbride09
Ok, now usually I love gift cards, and I agree that its the thought that counts..But come on! A 5 dollar gift card to VS from your SIL?! I just think that is rude, especially considering that you have her plus BIL and 2 kids to buy for. Im of the opinion that if I spend X amount for my BIL, I should spend an equal amount on SIL, to spend less kind of says you dont like the person IMHO. UNLESS, (and this is the only time acceptable to spend less to me) they are unmarried, which clearly is not the case for you. I honestly would probably just do a small couple gift for BIL and SIL and a gift for the kids next year. Just me though.
In her previous post, she said they also gave her more gifts than just the gift card, but I agree $5 is odd. I would also probably just do a joint gift to them next year.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
We got two gift cards this year from FI''s dad--one to Trader Joes and one to Lowes. I thought it was a super thoughtful gift since we shop at TJs all the time and we are now homeowners so we will definitely use the one for Lowes. If it was something a little less useful, I don''t think it would be as nice.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
My guess in your case, italia, is that it was a re-gift. Times are hard and your family probably just had to do what they could to get gifts. It is impossible to really know about people''s finances, even when they are close.

As far as gift cards, I love getting them but hate giving them. Perhaps that is because I am still a student and don''t have stellar income. But, I generally like getting functional gifts. I want to buy the fun stuff for myself so if I get a $20 gas card or something, then that is $20 I can take somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results