shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

golovast

Rough_Rock
I found a diamond that was claimed to be round, I color, SI1 with an ideal cut. I''ve asked to see the GIA report and on it, it has the following information, besides the regular GIA info.

AGS 0
7.23 mm (7.20-7.25) (0.6%)
4.39 mm 60.7%
34.3 14.3% 0
41.0 43.3% 0
4.09 mm 56.6% 0
0.5% v.small 0
e 1.4% (0.8-2.4)%

Now I have no clue what this means. I thought that AGS was a separate report, but this information seems to be just printed on the GIA report. Does the information above indicate that this diamond is an ideal cut?

Thank you

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I'd suspect that the reference to AGS 0 means the diamond's proportions fall within AGS 0 parameters.....and not that the report is generated by AGS.

Further, many savvy vendors realize that GIA doesn't yet put cut proportion information on their grading reports, so they attach a sticker with the Sarin information to the GIA grading report.

That's my guess. From the #s listed, it does appear to fall within AGS0 proportions and should be a nice diamond.

golovast

Rough_Rock
Well, I sure could use some help now. I found the diamond described above. Its a 1.38 round, Color I, SI1, and the cut certainly appears to be ideal. The problem that I have is the following. The site I've talked to, said they can send the diamond to an idependent appraiser, where I can take a look at it, but I choose to go that way, I will have to pay the appraiser's fee, AND they will not price match (even though I saw it for less somewhere else). I did a whole lot of reading over the last few weeks, including this forum. It certainly seems like a good diamond, and the price (4600) seems quite good as well. I am still very hesitant to buy it without ever seeing it. However, I don't really want to pay $500 or so just to see it ($200 price match + appraisers fee). Should I just go ahead and buy it? Do the specs suggest that its will very good? Behavior of the site seems to be to discourage me from seeing it before I buy it and that is a little concerning.

Thank you

golovast

Rough_Rock
Almost forgot, in the notes it says:
SARIN OPOOR SI1

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 4/13/2004 6:10:55 PM golovast wrote:

Behavior of the site seems to be to discourage me from seeing it before I buy it and that is a little concerning.

----------------

Well, it's not unusual that you'd have to absorb the appraiser's fee. That's fairly standard.

Most of the reputable vendors here will ship diamonds to the appraiser so you can see before you buy, but you pay shipping round-trip if you elect not to purchase the diamond and you pay the appraiser's fee.

Perhaps the biggest alarm I see on this? The price seems WAY too low. By comparison, I found two J, SI1 stones that are cut to AGS 0 proportions. One is 1.20 ct for $4724; the other is 1.31 ct. for $5127.....and those prices are DROP-SHIP prices. If this was an excellently cut stone, why would it be less expensive than the drop-ship price of the 1.20 J stone? This I stone is supposedly one color grade better and 18 points (almost a quarter carat!) heavier, and yet it's cheaper? Something's not right.

What is the return policy of this vendor? Is it full-refund, no questions asked? 10 days at least? If it is, you have the option to buy at the price match and have an appraiser review it within that window if you're really stuck on getting this stone.

Personally, I'd pass.....if something's too good to be true, it usually is.

I looked around, and there isn't much right now. Here's a possible alternative in your price range with a proven vendor.

1.15, I, SI1, AGS0 proportions, GIA report for $4630, and the ideal scope on it looks beautiful. http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-586228.htm#

golovast

Rough_Rock
The vendor is dirtcheapdiamonds.com and I do believe they have a 10 day return policy. I don't know though if they will make me jump through hoops in order to return it, if I don't like it by any chance. The price does seem low to me as well, but what could be so wrong with the stone? It has a GIA report, so I am certain about the color and the clarity. I guess the only question is the cut...right? It does fall within ideal cut proportions, at least as far as table and depth are concerned and the numbers they provided in addition to that also seem good, although its not an official certificate. What can it be that would make this diamond undesirable, given the information that I can confirm?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Yanno, it would be so much easier if folks would just present all the information up front initially instead of all the cloak and dagger stuff.
3.gif
2.gif

Golovast, Dirtcheap is quite a reputable vendor. Their listed price for this diamond is only $208 more than your "price-match" price. For the extra $208, you could have this sent to an appraiser pre-purchase (which they allow if you aren't pressing them to price match)....meaning NO money out of your pocket. And if you don't like it, DCD pays the return shipping too......(most vendors don't do that!).

All of those perks cost something, and vendors don't provide them for free. If you want that service, you have to expect to pay something for it. The outlined policies seem to be a fair way of meeting customer expectations without getting in a nickel-and-dime, "vendor C will give it to me for $1.76 less" garbage.

Read the payment and policies section.......it clearly outlines that price-matching doesn't apply to presale appraisals.

Further, they have a 10-day, no questions asked 100% money-back guarantee if you don't like the diamond.

I don't see the notations about poor SI1 because the grading report isn't online. I'd call DCD and ask them about that notation. I still wonder why the price is so low if the cut proportions reflected are accurate.....so I'd plan on going to the appraiser for sure to make sure subtle things are in order (the culet centered, etc.) Of note, though....this diamond may have ideal cut proportions, but it is not ideal due to polish/symmetry being VG. Perhaps that's part of the reason for the lower price.

Bottom line: If you want the assurance, pay the extra $208 (which is NOMINAL on a purchase of this size, by the way) and get the service.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results