shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Newbie requesting advice - need to buy within 1 week

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

airick75

Rough_Rock
Help! I''m a newbie and deciding on the following 2 diamonds.
I got all the specs from the jewelers finally. And both are GIA
certified. Now, I need to make a decision within a week so I can
propose! My honey''s most important criteria is the cut.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Price: $6950
Weight: 1.232ct
Diameter: 6.88mm - 6.96mm
Total depth: 61.3% (4.24mm)
Crown angle: 34.5''
Crown height: 14.6%
Pavil angle: 40.7''
Pavil depth: 42.9%
Culet: 0.3% (very small)
Table size: 56% (3.88mm)
Girdle thickness: 1.7% medium
Polish/Symmetry: Excellent/Excellent
Clarity: VS2
Color: H
Fluorescence: none

--------------------------------------------

Price: $6500
Weight: 1.351ct
Diameter: 7.21mm - 7.25mm
Total depth: 59.3% (4.29mm)
Crown angle: 34.5''
Crown height: 13.8%
Pavil angle: 40.7''
Pavil depth: 43.0%
Culet: 0.7% (very small)
Table size: 58.1% (4.20mm)
Girdle thickness: 1.1% thin to medium
Polish/Symmetry: Excellent/Excellent
Clarity: VS2
Color: I
Fluorescence: none

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Alright the first one scores a 1 - Excellent within TIC range on the Holloway Cut Advisor

Light return, Excellent
Fire, Excellent
Scintilliation, Excellent
Spread, Very good

I think it's the 56% table that if it was a 57%, it would be at it's most efficient. This stone still sounds lovely and in excellent proportions, regardless.

The second stone is LARGER and LOOKS larger. It scores even better on the HCA, as a 1 - Excellent within TIC range

Light return is Excellent
Fire is Excellent
Scintillation is Excellent
Spread is Excellent

Proportionally, the first one seems more on-key, but the second one is quite a nice stone, especially because it's spread is greater, making it LOOK larger, and because it IS larger... And the kicker....it's bigger looking, more carat weight AND it's cheaper! If you can get size, without comprosing quality (in fact getting a better performing stone), I say its a win-win!!!

I VOTE #2!!!! That's just my $.02, they are both lovely stones and excellent in my opinion!!! The I will face up white, no problem, in my book. I don't think that should be an issue, as they are bothw ell cut. Good luck and congrats!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Well, both look to be AMAZING stones.....but technically, Stone #2 does not meet "AGS 0" proportions....the table falls just outside that range. (AGS 0 proportion tables are 52.5 to 57.5).

Honestly, your budget would accommodate either of these stones and you can afford either choice, I'd spend the few hundred more and get the H. I've found that I personally begin to see the tint in I stones.

If size was your main criteria, Stone #2 measures much larger. I personally would rather have better color than slightly bigger, but that's me. If I were making the choice based just on the paper....I'd go with Stone #1. It's better color and it's truly an AGS 0 stone.

Are both of these available through the same vendor? If so, ask your vendor to compare both and tell you what he thinks. If they are at a B&M store, which appeals more to your eye?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results