shape
carat
color
clarity

Another viewpoint of internet purchasing for B/Ms (long)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I have been reading the posts both in the recent "our GOG experience" and in the "vendors please list your upgrade policies" and noted two opinions of posters who seem a little "cutting" in their responses with regard to "selling local jewelers short" or complaints about consumers asking about sarin reports. I have noticed other posts similar to the above and wanted talk about my reasons for internet purchasing.

I have bought six stones (diamonds) via the internet and have been very pleased with the service I have received. Prior to learning and researching on this board and another diamond board, I knew nothing of diamonds and tried going to my "local jewelers" to learn and actually purchase. I got tired of being ignored, dismissed or being treated in a curt manner because of preconceived notions about how much money I have to spend based on how I look or am dressed. On numerous occasions I was steered toward cheaper and/or ugly looking stones and not offered the better products that were available. I realized after reading up on the boards that stones could be "memo-ed." No one offered to "memo" stones if they didn''t have the quality that I later learned to ask for. I just got sick of this treatment.

Searching for my engagement ring was an exasperating experience between "mall goods" (where, ironically the salespeople were more personable, yet the products weren''t all that good) and the "higher end jewelers who had better quality, yet their attitudes were a turn off.

I am sure that I am not the only one to have experience like this. So yes, I wound up on the internet where something happened that should have happened in person before-I was treated well and not like my sale didn''t matter - without regard to how much money I was spending. So it is not always about the bottom dollar and B&Ms losing more and more business because of it. It involves the up-front good treatment of people and the follow-through after the sale that Uncle Marty referenced in one of his posts. I believe as many do, that I DO deserve better and, ironically, me purchasing on the internet has cost me LESS to get better treatment. Sometimes (to me) it sounds like people who sell through B&Ms get a little too defensive about internet purchases and I just want to say, it isn''t always the case that the consumer has educated themselves enough to de-mystify (at least some) of what goes on behind the scenes and now has some sort of "chip" on their shoulder. I know I certainly cannot stand toe-to-toe with the knowledge of an experienced professional jeweler. But, I don''t have to deal with poor treatment and offerings either.

I am inherently lazy, and I would have loved to just sit back relax and let my local jewelers get to work on finding what I wanted. Unfortunately, that was not the situation in my case.

For any B&Ms that don''t necessarily have an internet presence what do you suggest (for individuals who are repeatedly treated poorly by their local jewelers) as an alternative to the internet? Sorry this was long, but there have been smatterings of anti-internet talk that was a little bothersome to me. This post is just my experience and opinion.

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Excellent commentary! Thanks for taking the time to put down your thoughts. I am sure that a lot of people identify with your experience. I have been treated alternatley with extreme rudeness and disdain or honesty and sincerity at B&Ms. Now I know who to go to localy with some purchases that might preclude internet purchasing.

The most important thing, it seems, is to be as well-informed as possible. I found the level of rudeness increased with my inquisitiveness - even at a "high-end" store, dressed in a suit, with a 20K buget! Like you said, I also found the mall stores to be more firnedly and educational. When the consumer is knowledgeable, instead of being offended by the store, one should be grateful for the indication that this is not a business they want to be dealing with! No customer, potential or actual, should ever leave a place of business feeling insulted or humiliated. Diamonds or otherwise. Period.

If the internet is able to make up for this serious lack of professionalism - fantastic. I have learned so much through PS that I now feel confidant purchasing jewlery from the internet - and I didn't think I ever would! Hats off to those industrious and intrepid dealers forging a better way of business in a new territory.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience at a B&M store. I just wanted to say that there are some great local jewelers out there. I trust my jeweler 100%. She is such an amazing and talented designer and jeweler. She is by appointment only, so I get her full attention whenever I see her. She encourages me to ask a lot of questions. She's not afraid of my questions because she knows she's giving me a top quality product. There's nothing to hide if you're producing superior goods. I actually feel so lucky to have a jeweler that I trust so completely. I know that she will only deliver top quality stones and top quality craftsmanship.

I don't think there is one right way to shop for jewelery. If some people have had great experiences with internet vendors, then that's fantastic! I'm so happy with my own jeweler that I can't imagine going the internet route. I also couldn't imagine going to any other jeweler at all, be it an internet vendor or another B&M! We all have to do what works for us.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
There are some excellent B&M's out there. You just have to find them. Since finding PS, I've located 2 B&M's in the Kansas City metro area that I would recommend to folks. Both deal in quality of Cut, work to educate consumers, and never any high pressure sales tactics. One carries designer settings and the other even offers their own custom designs. If you want diamonds brought in, they well do that too, to a point. They can't afford the shipping for a whole bunch of stones because they keep their margins lower. Very internet market conscious, saavy business people.

I know how you feel as well. Being directed toward certain inventory because I pop into a shop dressed in blue jeans and a nice top. Most of the time, the "high end" jewelers just dismiss me out of hand. After all, how could anyone looking the way I do even consider purchasing higher level quality, more expensive jewelry??!! When I am just cruising, and other people are in the shop, I don't mind. I don't want to take any clerk's time from a real potential sale. If no one else is in the shop, I despise the rude, cold shoulder treatment. It especially burns my butt when I know full well that I can return to the same shop, dressed in nicer clothes, wearing some of my quality sparkly baubbles, and be treated entirely differently.

People in sales need to remember,...... Never judge a book by it's cover.
2.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
PQ, truer words were never spoken! I look very young, thought I am of marraigeable age...(hee hee) and when I went searching, there were times where I wasn't dressed in my business attire. I got some funny responses, like "listen kid, if you are serious about buying, then produce a fiance or even a boyfriend, and don't waste my time!"

That irritted me. The next time I walked into that store, I walked in my suit and heels, hair all done, gave a quick run down of if he has a custom designer there to create a unique setting to match a all diamond wedding band for my almost 2ct looking E, VVS radiant. It was SUCH a pretty owman moment!

But usually, I just started to talk specs, and they took me a bit more seriously. If I said "crown angle" they started to figure out I wasn't a stupid kid... hee hee

B&M sotres are not all bad. I bought from a B&M, and when buying shaped stones you are pressed to SEE them, unlike some RB shopping. I will buy an RB wedding band and those stones will be based on my trust of an internet retailer's expertice. But my e-ring stone NEEDED the personal attention of a B&M and my personal inspection. My jeweler is great with TOP NOTCH goods, so I trust him, but I still have to fight the "big ticket" diamond shoppers for his attention. I like GOG, as they have the best of both worlds!!!!
appl.gif

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, sorry to hear that you guys had bad experiences based on how you were dressed. I have not had the same experience. I have walked in to high end stores and received great treatment regardless of how I am dressed. Whether it was Tiffany, Stuart Moore, Mikimoto, or Van Cleef Arpels I have received great treatment (even though I'm just looking). I even state up front that I'm just looking, but they're very helpful with info on the pieces.

I wonder if Los Angeles has better customer service?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
----------------
I have received the best service in the highest end stores in big cities.

It's the local wannabees that seem to have the "tude". It kinda cracks me up.

Edited to add that "tude" & poor customer service can exist on the internet as well.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/13/2004 10:43:37 AM fire&ice wrote:

----------------
----------------
I have received the best service in the highest end stores in big cities.
----------------

Same here. But then they usually have well-developed customer service training and they're used to dealing with slobby Internet millionaires, sweat-suited tourists, and frugal Asian grandmas.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results