shape
carat
color
clarity

The beginnings of my ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angela

Rough_Rock
Just saw the wax today, and took pictures of it, but they didn''t turn out the greatest. My friend Jaime is holding the ring... There will be some changes, I''ll keep you posted! (Whiteflash - 2.1 on HCA)

Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 1.00
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.3
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown %: 15.1
Pavilion Angle: 41
Pavilion %: 43.4
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 6.53-6.54X3.94

128_2888.JPG

angela

Rough_Rock
Another view
1.gif

128_2891.JPG

angela

Rough_Rock
And yet another...
21.gif

128_2889.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very promissing!!! That should be one nice ring when finished, and it is great to 'see' the process... So much more fun than shopping for a ready made
1.gif

Was the model carved after a drawing? I do not remember to have seen precisely this one before
5.gif

angela

Rough_Rock
It's carved after a drawing I did. I was trying to decide between the LE semi bezel setting from WF, and the wonderful Michael Devlin piece that is seen in the Eye Candy thread (I think page 7) and I thought maybe it would be more fun to use designs I have drawn up...

It's been a very long process, but exciting nonetheless. I can't wait to see how it will turn out!
1.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I like that. It looks like a Mobius strip.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
How fun! The diamond looks like it's going to be amazing in the setting as well. Platinum?

Who is making the setting, a local jeweler?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How Exciting..The ring looks like it is going to be beautiful and the diamond looks like a dazzler..
21.gif

angela

Rough_Rock
I'm having it done in white gold, by a local goldsmith - Lionel Mindin. He owns a place called Mindin's StoneAge Jewelers in Shorewood, Wisconsin (Milwaukee). He and his wife run the shop, and all he does is custom work. He can get stones if needed, but his main thing is custom designs.
1.gif

My BF is worried that the setting is going to overpower the stone, but he's only seen the pictures, not the actual wax. He wants it to be softened up a little, maybe taper the edges around the stone to make them seem less overpowering... I can see where it seems a little harsh, but I'm afraid that softening it will take away the feeling of the ring.
rolleyes.gif

Any thoughts?

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
Nice ring! You could keep one in wax. I bet that would be soft enough.
2.gif
The edges could probably be done in a full round radius without changing the intent too much. It does look good to me as is though.

angela

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 3/10/2004 6:19:56 PM boonerings wrote:

Nice ring! You could keep one in wax. I bet that would be soft enough.
2.gif
The edges could probably be done in a full round radius without changing the intent too much. It does look good to me as is though.----------------

Ha ha
9.gif

The *tiny* changes should be done today or tomorrow, and then it's off to be cast. We discussed it last night, and my BF is going to trust my judgment, after all, I'm the one who will be wearing it! He just doesn't want the setting to make the stone look small. (My argument was, how is a beautiful, well cut 1ct diamond going to look SMALL?)
3.gif
I think it's going to look great. I can't wait to see the finished product.

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
How long did they say it might take to complete the ring? Please post pics when you get it.

angela

Rough_Rock
Once I approve the final wax (today or tomorrow) it should take 1-2 weeks at the caster, and 1 week after for the setting/polishing/finishing touches.
appl.gif
(too long!!)
3.gif

Another question - the attached picture is a design that I absolutely love, and I did incorporate some aspects of it (as well as many others) into my drawing. (I won't be having a separate wedding band though.) I want to make sure that I am not infringing on any copyright laws. See the next post for another ring design I incorporated. What do you think? I'd hate to be disrespectful to any designers given all of the hard work they put into their pieces.

Thanks!
---------------------

3/19/04 EDITED TO DELETE PICTURE AND ADD: A user requested that I delete the picture of the Michael Devlin setting from my post so as not to compromise his design.
angryfire.gif
Said user is convinced that I am unethically copying the design, and I'm sure I will probably be struck by lightening or suffer some other terrible karmic fate due to my evil nature.
9.gif

Funny thing is, I keep looking at the pictures side by side, and even though my eyes get tired and my vision gets fuzzy, they STILL look very different from each other. Maybe I need new contacts.
3.gif

angela

Rough_Rock
This is another ring I incorporated. Thanks for your input!
1.gif

singaporering.jpg

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Angela, that's a beautiful looking ring! Congrats, you have designed a very neat setting. Your project looks close to the pics you've taken inspiration from, but it sure doesn't look like a knockoff!
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Angela,

Your design looks lovely. I can't wait to see the finished ring! Keep us posted.
wavey.gif

DiamondLil

LadyJ

Shiny_Rock
Very cool! I think it's very special to design your own setting. It's going to look great. I don't think the setting will overpwer the stone. Please be sure to post pics when it's done!

nhwhazup

Rough_Rock
Angela,

I'm not sure how intellectual property laws apply to jewelry design but I would imagine as long as you are not selling the design you would not be infringing upon copying a design or incorporating some features, but I'm no expert. The one thing that I do know is that when I had originally found Devlin's design with his copyright on the photo on his website, I thought about having a Boston designer that did my daughter's rings do the same design from the photo. I was more concerned with not having to send my diamond across the country. After some thought I didn't feel it the ethical thing to do.

I would love to hear from some designers on this. Do they feel comprimised or complimented?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imitation is the sincerest form of compliment.
2.gif

I wouldn't worry about replicating, I would do it in a heartbeat. If you can't afford something but someone can make it for you similarly and cheaper, go for it! Designers know that not everyone can afford their pieces.

Then again, this is from the gal who takes pictures from finestationery.com and makes her own cards for emailing and uses the images on there for printing.
2.gif

angela

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know how to delete attachments from posts? It has been requested that I delete a picture from this post. I have emailed the administrator as well, but thought this might get me a quicker response.

Thanks
1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Angela, if you find out how to delete a picture, will you let me know? I tried to delete one last week and couldn't figure out how to do it.

angela

Rough_Rock
I emailed the administrator, and they can take care of it for you. I did not get any instructions on how to do it yourself. Hope this helps you.
1.gif

angela

Rough_Rock
I emailed the administrator, and they can take care of it for you. I did not get any instructions on how to do it yourself. Hope this helps you.
1.gif

angela

Rough_Rock
I just saw this ring on Wink Jone's site - I had never seen it before. Strange that the one I'm having made is extremely similar! I'm still waiting diligently for it to come back from the caster.
3.gif
It seems to be taking FOREVER!!! How do all of you get through the waiting for custom work? I guess it will be worth it in the end!!
1.gif

eightstar-in-bezel-bypass.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay i am curious to see the finished product soon!!

can't believe someone actually requested you remove their picture so you don't compromise the design. too funny. don't they realize it's probably posted in 100 other places that they don't know about? the internet, a beautiful thing...for pictures.
naughty.gif

angela

Rough_Rock
It wasn't even the designer that asked - that's the strange thing. The designer has pictures posted on his webpage, and those, like the picture I posted, are clearly copyrighted. I had thought about going with that design and had communicated with the designer about it, but in the end I wanted something a little different and felt that doing a custom design locally would be a better option so I could see the changes in person.

It was another user who felt I was "knocking off" the design even though there are quite a few major differences. There were a few private emails, and I was a bit shocked with the accusations and judgments on my character from someone who doesn't know me or the situation, but to each his own. Honestly, if I actually was copying someone's copyrighted design, why would I post pictures on a forum that I know the designer would see? That would be just plain silly!
rolleyes.gif
The ring from the Wink Jones site is MUCH more similar than the other ring - who knows, maybe I'll be asked to remove that one too even though I never even saw it until a month after I submitted the drawings to the goldsmith. I guess I'm knocking 'em off left and right without even knowing it. Tee hee.
3.gif

Oh well. I didn't join pricescope to make enemies, just to learn more about diamonds and share my experience for others to learn from.
1.gif

Maybe it will be ready in another week - but then I'm afraid I may go through Nicrez's ordeal - he might keep it from me for awhile. That would make me sad, since it's already been more than 5 weeks since we bought the stone. It's like torture!
3.gif
I don't know how much longer I can wait! But in the end, it will be worth it. It won't be on a beautiful tropical island since we just took a trip to the Riviera Maya in the beginning of February, but it will be special nonetheless. I just have to be patient!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HaHa I would have told the private disgruntled messenger to screw off. Don't people have anything better to do, like play with our shiny baubles and not be instigatory?!
sick.gif

angela

Rough_Rock
Lucky for them I'm not you, huh? Ha ha!!!
9.gif

I called today to check the status, and I'm waiting for them to call back. Maybe I'll be posting pictures next week. I can only hope.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 3/30/2004 10:23:20 PM angela wrote:

It was another user who felt I was 'knocking off' the design even though there are quite a few major differences.

----------------

Hi, Angela: I won't get into the particulars of copyright, but suffice it to say that there could be trouble from a copyright owner for posting his copyrighted pictures....even if you aren't replicating the design.

However, I don't know that you are under any obligation to remove anything if the request isn't originating from the copyright owner.

angela

Rough_Rock
Thanks alj - something to think about! I had figured, since the picture in question was already posted on PS, and that's how I found it in the first place, that reposting it wouldn't be a problem, but - whatever. It's done and over with, can't go back.
rolleyes.gif

I'm thinking I should just not post any pictures in the future unless I took them myself. If I can figure out how to post links, I'll do that instead and save the headaches.
1.gif

No call back yet from the jeweler. Argh.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results