shape
carat
color
clarity

How much did you spend on alterations?

What was the grand total for your alterations?

• Less than $100

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • $201-300

• $501-600

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Now I realize there are many variables as far as pricing goes for alterations. Some lucky few only need a hem. Some have the whole dress reworked. I''m just looking for an average. I''ve read a couple different figures so I''m curious what my trusty PS ladies spent. How much did alterations for your wedding gown cost?

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I spent $175 on my alterations from an independent seamstress. She hemmed the dress, added a 3 point traditional bustle and took in my dress from a size 8 to about a 4.

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 11:29:15 PM
Author: BeachRunner
I spent $175 on my alterations from an independent seamstress. She hemmed the dress, added a 3 point traditional bustle and took in my dress from a size 8 to about a 4.
Wow. So that''s not so bad...I''ve been under the impression (and from my own experience with bridesmaids dresses) it''d be way more expensive. Maybe your dress was easy to take in?

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
My alterations were $230 from a woman that works out of her home. She had to take it in 2 sizes, do the hem, a 5-point bustle, and add cups.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 11:31:34 PM
Author: Still_Waiting
Date: 11/22/2009 11:29:15 PM

Author: BeachRunner

Wow. So that''s not so bad...I''ve been under the impression (and from my own experience with bridesmaids dresses) it''d be way more expensive. Maybe your dress was easy to take in?

I lived in a smallish city in WV so I think a lot of it had to do with demographics. My dress had no lace or beading, so it was a standard hem, etc.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
I will be spending $0!
9.gif
I got really lucky when I ordered my dress from Carolina Herrera. I had a wonderful consultant who knew the dress I wanted was slightly over my budget with the usual alterations cost ($500 for as many alterations as needed), so she said all alterations were on her. I thought the $500 fee was out-of-control expensive, so this made the situation so much better!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spoke with a few bridal consultants about ordering hollow to hem vs. hemming the gown after it arrived. With most of my inquiries, hollow to hem was less expensive. Just be sure you have your shoes already, so that your dress is ordered to the perfect length. If you are tall, you might not need to worry about hem at all and just wear heels. I''ve been told the gowns are made for a woman who is 5''11". Confirm this with the SA, some designers might run differently.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t remember exactly how much I spent, but I think it was just under $150 (in the Bay Area). I had a lace dress that I had hemmed, had cups sewn in, had covered buttons added down the zipper with cloth left over from the lining, had the halter taken up, had a French bustle added, and had the silhouette modified from an a-line to a trumpet shape.

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
I''m finding this very interesting. Maybe trying to find an average really won''t help me plan much. BUT, it is helping me think about the likely price of alterations for the gowns I''m looking at. I''ll definitely be asking about pricing BEFORE I order my gown. I suppose anyone would be silly not to. I''m not a tall gal (5''5) and will be marrying barefoot on the beach (or perhaps in simple, flat sandals), so length change will be a definite need. Thanks for the info!

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
I spent $40 for a hem and $25 for the bustle. I was really lucky the dress fit perfectly and didn''t need any other alterations.

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
$65 bucks...and in the LA area no less!

Had sides taken in up top, dress pulled in to make it tighter on bottom, cups added, crinolin removed

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$165 - I had the neckline changed (halter strap removed and interrupted beading continued to a sweetheart neckline strapless), cups sewn in, the ribcage section let out slightly, a hem, and a bustle. Overall, i felt good about the amount paid and the work being done.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
$300. Dress-selection consult, hem, 3-point bustle, taking bust from a 10 to a 6 (side seams), and changing neckline from straight to sweetheart.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I paid $85. My dress was corset-style, so no real alterations there except that the modesty panel was sewn in strangely at the factory so she fixed it for me. Also, a 1-point bustle with serious reinforcement (lasted all day!) and changing the straight neckline to a sweetheart. I ordered petite length and matched my shoe heel height so I didn''t need it hemmed.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine was either $300 or $350...I think. It all blurs together when you're spending too much money on wedding stuff!

I had a pretty complicated dress so I actually don't think I got overcharged. She took it in from a size 8 to probably a 2, remade the bottom of the bodice so it was less pointy shaped in the back at the bottom of the bodice, reshaped the neckline (the dress was strapless), moved all the tiny buttons that were next to the zipper over so the dress would zip up and down easier, hemmed it (it was a bubble hem so I'm assuming that's more complicated), added cups, did a 3 point bustle and steamed it. And it had a whole inner corset thing that she took in, too, plus a TON of layers underneath that she hemmed and took in.

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
I spent a bit over $500 on the alterations, making the dress grand total almost five thousand dollars. My biggest regret: not buying a used gown. I love my dress but looking back I feel that was ridiculous for me to spend.

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
I''m prepared to spend $300 or so. I HOPE to keep it on the low end, since my measurements were almost identical to the size I ordered. I know it will have to be shortened and taken in at the bust, but the rest might be (hopefully) a pretty good fit already.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Mine was about $150.

No beading or ruffles. Just satin, and only had to take in around the bust and waist. No hem work.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
most of you know that I had issues with my alterations and if you include the cut to measure my dress alterations were over $600. Disgusting.

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
Mine cost about $250. I needed a hem on a lace-edge dress, (where they actually remove the bottom lace, hem the dress then sew the lace back on), a french bustle with at least 10 different buttons/loops, and cap sleeves added.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I spent $0! Haha. My dress fit really well and was tea length, so no hemming needed. Actually, on my wedding day I noticed that they waist could''ve been let out a tiny bit and the hips taken in, but oh well. It still fit at least 90% perfectly.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
$200 included in Chicago:

taking the dress in all over about 2 sizes
adjusted the skirt to flare properly
hemmed the dress and the crinoline
added straps
changed the neckline from straight to sweetheart
8 point french bustle
steamed dress upon completion

The dress was beaded all over and mermaid cut.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve not had mine altered yet, but it will be somewhere around $500 (yikes).

As for the length, I''m not sure that they''re all ordered for a 5''11 woman, because my particular salon says that for women taller than 5''9" they would have to order extra long, but for everyone else, it''s standard length.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
2000, we had to rework the entire dress, bring it in over 10 sizes and it had such intricate beading it was hard to do it just right
on the flip side we got the dress half off for 600 bucks lol

meresal

Ideal_Rock
$2000?!?!
32.gif
Are you serious?!?!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 10:58:00 AM
Author: meresal
$2000?!?!
32.gif
Are you serious?!?!
Ditto! I can''t imagine spending that much...

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Well that''s what I heard my mom tell my dad they asked her to pay when she went to pick up the dress the Wednesday before the wedding...maybe that was the total of the dress, veil and altering? But we paid the dress and veil prior....in their defense though, it was a very difficult altering job. I used to sew a lot of clothes and dresses for a theater company in the area and I wouldn''t have even touched my dress if someone had asked lol

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2009 12:01:13 AM
Author: House Cat
I spoke with a few bridal consultants about ordering hollow to hem vs. hemming the gown after it arrived. With most of my inquiries, hollow to hem was less expensive. Just be sure you have your shoes already, so that your dress is ordered to the perfect length. If you are tall, you might not need to worry about hem at all and just wear heels. I''ve been told the gowns are made for a woman who is 5''11''. Confirm this with the SA, some designers might run differently.
Absolutely do hollow to hem if you have an all lace dress, or beading around the hem. It''s considerably cheaper and will look much more attractive than attempting to hem it.

Most dresses are made for someone who is 5''8" to 5''9".

I wouldn''t buy shoes until the dress comes in. A lot of lines have a 1 inch variance, meaning it could be half an inch shorter than the H2H or hal an inch longer. I would just bring heels that are ballpark what you''d like to wear that day.

This is just what I know from the lines my store carries.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Smurfy- That is amazing that they had to do that much work. 4x the amount of the dress. Wow.

You must have really loved that dress to put so much money into it.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 1:20:29 PM
Author: meresal
Smurfy- That is amazing that they had to do that much work. 4x the amount of the dress. Wow.

You must have really loved that dress to put so much money into it.

I did love it very much :) When we have children we are going to use the material from the train to make baptism outfits as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results