shape
carat
color
clarity

How To Educate Posters Here About Minority Versus Majority Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Judah Gutwein

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wow.

I clicked on this thread which was seemingly initiated to address an interesting topic.
I was stunned however, to actually read its intended message.
It was a struggle for me to decide to post on this thread in defense of RD.

Some would argue that it is not my responsibility to defend another vendor
who is and should be completely capable of defending himself.

However, I cannot remain silent here, even as I am aware that it may not be PC for me (as a PS vendor)
to engage here and that perhaps most (or all) of my PS vendor colleagues will safely opt to stay away
from this thread like the plague, even if they may silently concur with my point.

This thread crosses the line.

This thread was initiated to ostensibly provide general and constructive feedback to the PS community.
Accordingly, a general (and ultimately misleading) title was applied to the thread.
The subsequent posting however, clearly demonstrates an agenda to (publicly) destroy RD personally and professionally.
It is true that RD is ultimately responsible (and accountable) for his public persona
and comments/advice on this forum......so is everyone else.
There IS a protocol set up by the moderators which runs counter to what has been done here.
Postings and comments you believe to be offensive, should be reported to the moderators directly.
The moderators will decide on the best course of action to deal with these complaints.

My two cents.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread isn't the problem.
It is a reaction to the problem.
This thread is born of frustration over the problem not being addressed.

Silence about the problem has allowed the problem to fester and grow unchecked.
Silence condones actions.

This thread is only holding up a mirror.
What we see is not attractive, but that's not the mirror's fault.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many people don''t believe there IS a problem ... and those who DO should take the issue up with the forum''s moderator instead of trying to instigate some kind of vigilante justice.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't feel we have been silent. But I do feel any problems should be addressed with the Mods.. Ali and Andrey can handle this, once and for all?? I have complete faith in them. We are in their livingroom.....
5.gif

And for newbies, give them some credit, I think they are smarter than you think.
2.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It really seems that what you''re saying Kenny, is that you disagree with the way PS is run.

I can tell you from personal experience, running an internet forum is no picnic.
It''s an incredibly tough job.
I have nothing but compliments for the management of PS.
This forum is VERY well run.

My primary goal on PS is simply to engage in conversation and share my knowledge, which is probably why I''m allowed to stay.
The fact we have a diamond company is another aspect of my spending time here. PS management graciously allows trade members a link to their site.

But if I was here trying to sell something, I''d be violating forum rules, and expect to suffer the consequences.
Kenny-ccl- I hold out a hand of friendship to you both.
We are all diamond lovers.
Live and let live.
Take a chill pill.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
CCL- In regards to your first comment "What is the best way to educate novice consumers when they have been given a "sales pitch" or "niche minority" advice or comments?"

Just a reminder that the vendors here are the "niche market". So of course it serves their purpose to promote ideal cut H&A''s. A new poster reading through the threads can start believing that everything else is sub par without really looking at enough diamonds to understand the subtle differences between what we here consider the top make, and what a local b&m carries. And to be truthful, unless the diamond is an obvious dog, the differences are minor. the magnified pictures that we''re always seeing here is not a true indication of what you''re going to see once you''re wearing the stone.

I also disagree with the point of this thread. If you''re trying to call a vendor out, he''s not the only one. There are other vendors here who promote what I''d call crap with pretty descriptions as well. No one says a word to them. David just seems to be an easy target as there are enough posters here who disagree with his stance, and just don''t seem to like him on a personal level. Sounds very high school to me. Trash someone because you don''t like their opinion.

20.gif

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 4:10:30 PM
Author: Laila619
I think this thread is somewhat crossing a line, don''t you?

absolutely crossing the line and quite disturbing. i think this thread should be closed

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 6:42:23 PM
Author: elle_chris
CCL- In regards to your first comment ''What is the best way to educate novice consumers when they have been given a ''sales pitch'' or ''niche minority'' advice or comments?''

Just a reminder that the vendors here are the ''niche market''. So of course it serves their purpose to promote ideal cut H&A''s. A new poster reading through the threads can start believing that everything else is sub par without really looking at enough diamonds to understand the subtle differences between what we here consider the top make, and what a local b&m carries. And to be truthful, unless the diamond is an obvious dog, the differences are minor. the magnified pictures that we''re always seeing here is not a true indication of what you''re going to see once you''re wearing the stone.

I also disagree with the point of this thread. If you''re trying to call a vendor out, he''s not the only one. There are other vendors here who promote what I''d call crap with pretty descriptions as well. No one says a word to them. David just seems to be an easy target as there are enough posters here who disagree with his stance, and just don''t seem to like him on a personal level. Sounds very high school to me. Trash someone because you don''t like their opinion.

20.gif

Well said Elle Chris!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What an ugly and disappointing thread - it doesn't even merit a response but I have a big mouth and can't help myself.

This reeks of personal agenda. If you disagree with a vendor, say so and post an educational counter argument. If you dislike a vendor's posts so much that it drives you to cross the line this way, quit reading his posts or go find a forum where the censorship of minority opinions is the culture. PS is a place where consumers and professionals alike can come and engage in healthy debate and give buyers exactly what they come here for: EDUCATION and CHOICE.

Like many of us who advocate for stones that fall outside the scope of PS ideals, David merely speaks up for stones that are beautiful in their own right and I am often in agreement with him and enjoy his participation here. He provides PS with a nice amount of contrast which makes it a more interesting place.

Witch hunts and temper tantrums, on the other hand, I could live without.

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Thank you to everyone that brought this thread to my attention and for those who have kept in the positive, educational spirit of the forums. As Erica posted above, we are glad that there are many members on this forum and that everyone is offered education and choices regardless of the popularity.

This thread is misleading in its title and it is far, far from the positive, educational atmosphere that we encourage on Pricescope. It will be closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results