shape
carat
color
clarity

what''s next on your reading list?

SomethingSinful

Shiny_Rock
I am just starting Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky which by the way I am loving and then I might read A Doll''s House and Other Plays by Henrik Ibsen

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Sinful - I love that your avatar is a Totoro
9.gif

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/6/2009 11:57:42 AM
Author: Bia

Date: 10/5/2009 2:16:59 AM
Author: merrymunky
Currently reading ''The Night Villa'' by Carol Goodman (my fave author).

Next on the list is ''Sepulchre'' by Kate Mosse. I started it but then I got my current book and where Carol Goodman is concerned, all other books fall by the wayside. I get very impatient and have to read it. So yeah, back to ''Sepulchre'' soon.
I was going to pick up one of her books the other day : The Drowning Tree - did you read this?

Yes. I have all her books. Her first was "The Lake Of Dead Languages" - I bought this one and loved it so much that I bought every successive release by her. I really adore her. She is very well written and obviously puts a great deal of research into her works. They are teeming with history (not sure how much of it is factual) and mythology. She appears to have a great love of Latin and literature as Latin focusses in a few of her works. Her style really keeps me involved.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/10/2009 11:13:14 PM
Author: SomethingSinful
I am just starting Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky which by the way I am loving and then I might read A Doll''s House and Other Plays by Henrik Ibsen

GAAAAAAH!

I cannot escape this play! We studied it in our A-Level Theatre Studies classes and actually did a performance of it as an assessment. I was Nora...lead female. Oh my, that takes me back a few years. (And also horrid memories of ATTEMPTING to swallow a cocnut macaroon onstage when my mouth had dried up!!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Ivanhoe is going dreadfully slow, someone make me pick it up tonight. I started a third book on top of the other two, A Year of Style... Every fall I enter into this fashion obsessive stage.... so here i am. Ivanhoe, Healing Foods and A Year of Style
27.gif

SomethingSinful

Shiny_Rock
dragonfly411 -I just love love love Totoro

merrymunky -The last time I read A Doll''s House was in tenth grade English we acted out a scene or two I played Nora as well and my teacher made coconut macaroons! ah the memories haha

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
SS - meeee tooo!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Sigh, I have to read Clarissa by Samuel Richardson for a seminar. It''s so long (over a million words in the third edition) that the professors just said, do your best, lol. On the side, I might read the 6th Hitchhikers book (not written by Douglas Adams though), "And Another Thing..."

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I picked up Life in the Time of Cholera and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell at the library. (based entirely on PS recommendations.)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 7:12:20 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I picked up Life in the Time of Cholera

Ooo, that''s a good book.

I just finished The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. It was a really good read! Very female-empowering in a old, romantic way.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I just finished Her Fearful Symmetry because I liked The Time Traveler''s Wife. I didn''t like it, though I thought it was at least an interesting examination of the lines between love and obsession. Ultimately, though, I only found two characters I liked and followed their story line more than I followed the main characters.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just finished Stephen Kind''s Everythings Eventual and started Whitby''s book this morning. I''m not very far into it at all, but I''m liking it!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Life in the Time of Cholera was meh. It never really got me. It was well written and the characters were really good, but the story line just didn''t do it for me.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel, another meh.

Maybe I''m just in the mood for something different.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
SS- why not try a non fic?

I''ll be honest. I''ve been lost in the depths of magazines for the past week and am still slowly reading through Ivanhoe and A year of Style.
7.gif
I''m a bad book reader

crazzycat

Rough_Rock
"To kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee
26.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the middle of Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson and a non-fiction political book as well. Both are fabulous.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I picked up a book called Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. It''s really good so far!

dragon~ I think that''s my problem, I have been reading lots of non-fic for a long time so the fiction just wasn''t enough. But, this time of year I like to go back to story book mode. The novel above has my attention for now, hopefully it will be good all the way through.

I also picked up Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy the Ultimate Edition, which has several of the books all together, as they should be.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
SS did you see that there''s a new Hitchhiker book out (though NOT by Douglas Adams)? I''m considering getting it...

In the meantime, I''m going to read Alaska (James Michener). I''ve heard it''s really good.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Finished Whitby''s book a few days ago and really enjoyed it! I went thru one of the book recommendation threads yesterday and wrote down several to look for at the library. Ended up grabbing the 1st 3 Irene novels by Jan Burke.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
BEG~ Really? I hadn''t heard that. Do you know an author''s name or book name, I can''t find it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I knew this would happen: I went to Borders not too long ago and wrote down a bunch of titles I wanted to read (too cheap to buy them!). I called the library and reserved them, and now ALL of the books are coming in at the same time. I can''t keep up! I did just finish one of them, The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauff. I think it was her first book and I really liked it. I have a new one waiting, Twenties Girl, by Sophie Kinsella. This one should be a lighter read.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I think I''ll be really busy for the forseeable future since I just got the 8-book Sookie Stackhouse series from Amazon. I want to start from the beginning and get caught up to the HBO season, even though I know the show doesn''t follow the books exactly.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2009 2:58:42 PM
Author: somethingshiny
BEG~ Really? I hadn''t heard that. Do you know an author''s name or book name, I can''t find it.

I saw it at my local B&N the other day - it''s called "And Another Thing..." by Artemis Fowl author Eoin Colfer. I probably won''t get to it for a while - Alaska is huge! But if you end up reading it, let me know how it is!
1.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just finished reading This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper.

It was laugh out loud funny, had some really fabulous lines, and overall a good read. I thought a lot of the characters were pretty stock, and I do regret spending the money to buy it in hardcover, but it was still good. My book club is discussing it on Friday, I think it will make for a great discussion.

Our next book is Hospital at War. It looks very interesting.

After that we''re reading The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 4:20:30 PM
Author: merrymunky
Date: 10/10/2009 11:13:14 PM
Author: SomethingSinful
GAAAAAAH!
I cannot escape this play! We studied it in our A-Level Theatre Studies classes and actually did a performance of it as an assessment. I was Nora...lead female. Oh my, that takes me back a few years. (And also horrid memories of ATTEMPTING to swallow a cocnut macaroon onstage when my mouth had dried up!!!
That''s so funny! My school is performing this play right now, it''s still going on!

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
-"The Fire" by Katherine Neville
-"Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am hopelessly addicted to the Michael Connelly "Harry Bosch" series...I have read the first 3 and am now on the fourth, The Last Coyote. It''s excellent so far! Though Raymond Chandler is the superior writer, Harry reminds me of Phillip Marlowe, and the writing style of both authors is similar. I get completely lost in these books, a total escape from reality lol!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to come back and say that Peace Like a River by Leif Enger was really very good. It has a lot of Christianity in it and it''s about a young man who kills 2 other boys in protecting his family. He escapes from jail and his family tries to find him. It takes place in 1960''s Montana.

I picked up a book by Janet Evanovich in the Stephanie Plum series. I haven''t started it yet, but I''ve heard they''re really quick and funny reads.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven, I *think* read A Year of Pleasures, and if I did, I''m sure I liked it.
9.gif
I love Elizabeth Berg''s stories -- I love how she writes.

I just finished Twenties Girl today by Sophie Kinsella, and it was really good. I love all her books; they''re quick and easy to get through, and they''re all really funny. Next on my list is Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner. It''s on my nightstand, waiting until bedtime tonight.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Just today I bought The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold and Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results