shape
carat
color
clarity

Processional songs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
So the only song I really like in the list of songs the church gave me is the same song my sister had at her wedding to the man she is currently in the middle of getting divorced to. So in respect for her feelings and the emotions it might evoke I am trying to pick a different one from the list. The one I liked that she had is Canon in D, here is a list of my other options....let me know which one might be closest in style to canon in d because I just can''t seem to pick up on it...

Allegro (Handel)
Air (Handel)
Jesu, Joy of Man''s Desiring (Bach)
Arioso (Thanks be to thee) (Handel)
Trumpet Voluntary (Clarke)
Trumpet tune in D Major (Purcell)
Rondeau (Mouret) -I think this is my runner up so far...I dunno though...

We have to pick from this list because it''s all the church''s piano player knows how to play....meh....

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
We are doing things a little differently. The beginning of our ceremony will begin with Jesu, Joy of Man''s Desiring (Bach). My girls will walk to Canon in D (Pachabel). (It''s a shame your sister has such an attachment to that song; I LOVE it, and wanted it in my wedding since I could remember.) The bridal processional will be Bridal Chorus (Wagner).

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
i know, i love it so much too. i wonder since there is a guy working the sound board for microphones and things...i wonder if we could just have a recording played that is approved by the church...still wouldnt be the same but oh well
7.gif
me and fi are big into theatre, i thought maybe about the bridal march from a midsummers night dream or something like that

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
i asked my church wedding coordinator if i had to stick to the list of music they gave me in the phamplet and said i had some other ideas and she wrote back "should be fine." man i LOVE it when people are vague...
20.gif
blegh

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/6/2009 4:06:03 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved
i know, i love it so much too. i wonder since there is a guy working the sound board for microphones and things...i wonder if we could just have a recording played that is approved by the church...still wouldnt be the same but oh well
7.gif
me and fi are big into theatre, i thought maybe about the bridal march from a midsummers night dream or something like that

Bridal March by Mendelssohn is a popular song for recessionals.

And I''m confused, you said you weren''t going to play Canon in D out of respect for your sister, but would consider it played via recording?
33.gif
OR do you mean any song in general that is not on the list? I''m sure the organist could play anything you request, though!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
no i meant playing a song that is not on the list via recording :) i wont do canon in d :)
but they said these were the only wedding songs she knew so im not gonna push my luck
my church coordinator seemed cranky today anyways lol

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Smurfy - For my wedding last summer, our organist had very similar songs on his repertoire list.

My grandparents walked down to Bach''s "Jesu, Joy of Man''s Desiring." It''s classic and one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4AGVq1XG0
Our moms walked down to Handel''s "Air" (Water Music). I think it is very pretty and similar to Cannon in D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0bHwyK0zfs
Our recessional was to Handel''s "Allegro Maestoso." It''s very upbeat and cheerful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOoiuMYc5Wc
You said you liked Mouret''s "Rondeau." We had that in our pre-wedding music... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4AGVq1XG0

Hope I was able to help you out! Definately check YouTube for more videos!
1.gif
1.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
wow, thank you so much for all the suggestions ladies :) this is why i love ps!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Stylistically the Handel Air from Water Music is probably the most similar to the Canon in D. All of the others sound too "bold" or upbeat. Even the Air as normally played is a bit more upbeat than the Canon, but it could be slowed down.

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 3:09:23 PM
Author: heb1976
How about Bach's Air on G?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MYzkBiJn5Y
I love Bach too! It has a slow/romantic feel to it...especially with the string instruments. It makes it sound very similar to Pachelbel's Canon in D!

The only downfall is that with just an organ, it may sound a little bit plain/sad.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
i love that song but it just doesn''t evoke the emotion in me that canon in d does, ive heard it played at so many weddings that i just associate like a feeling of happiness with it you know? i dunno, i hope i find something...i really thought about looping the beginning of bittersweet symphony for the bridal party entrance but i dont know if the church will go for that...hmm...

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to add earlier that my organist also played "Highland Cathedral" during the prelude. It is just traditional Scottish music, but very beautiful!
1.gif

Here is a YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGwW4WiR2Ws

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 4:28:41 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved
i love that song but it just doesn't evoke the emotion in me that canon in d does, ive heard it played at so many weddings that i just associate like a feeling of happiness with it you know? i dunno, i hope i find something...i really thought about looping the beginning of bittersweet symphony for the bridal party entrance but i dont know if the church will go for that...hmm...
Smurfy - I think it is awesome that you are keeping your sister's feelings in mind and trying to find alternative processional music for your wedding, but have you tried talking to her about using Canon in D for your processional? Based on your above post, it seems like you are comparing every piece of music to the Canon in D.

It is very popular and is played at tons of weddings, so perhaps your sister wouldn't be offended if you decide to use it. I am sure that she would want you to be happy and have your favorite processional song played when you walk down the aisle! It wouldn't hurt to talk to her about it.

I hope that I am not getting too personal, but want you to be happy with your final music choices and not regret anything in the future!

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Hey Smurfy - Did you end up picking a processional song? If so, what did you choose?

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
have you talked to your sister if it''s ok with her if you choose Canon in D? it is your wedding and as much as you want to accommodate other people, specially your sister, you have to think of what you want first.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the nice comments ladies
I think I am gonna give her a call and see what she thinks...
I''ll be back to update later :)
just a bit tuckered out, need a nap...*yawn..... *falls asleep on computer desk at work*

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Smurfy - I''m glad you are going to talk to your sister....can''t wait to her your song choice!
1.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
It is ok, I can have canon in d for the processional :)

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif

Glad to hear your sis didn''t mind!

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Yaay Smurfy!
36.gif

I am glad everything worked out for you!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
im glad too!!! :) now i just gotta pick out the rest of the music...ehhh...blegh begh blegh

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results