shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all bargain shoppers....best leather sofa for $1k?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I thought about putting this thread in the shopping forum, but I think this one gets more traffic. We are having a baby in a few months, so we have lots and lots of expenses with that going on. But we desperately need a new sofa. I really want leather because of having 2 kids in the house, it would be easier to clean than our current light tan sofa. I have found a few in this price range such as this one from Havertys: http://www.havertys.com/Product_10851?curIndex=9&resultCount=15, but I am looking for any opinions from all of you savvy shoppers. I would like it to be all real leather, which I know could be hard in this price range. Thanks for your help!!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I just got rid of a leather couch LOL. I hated that thing! But I will say it held up really well and I had it for 15 years and it still looked OK. I just was not into the leather. I got a microfiber type fabric and my kids love it. My kids hated the leather. they said it was too cold. Especially in the winter, it got cold and in the summer, it gets sticky when you are hot.

But I will say, it survived the baby years of spit ups and even though the kids were not suppose to leave the kitchen with food, they definately often had sticky hands running to the couch before I could catch them and clean it up. So the fact that it survived 4 babies and toddlers and still looked good I guess says something for leather.

I replaced it with a sofa from lazy boy. Its not a recliner sofa, just regular and I love it! There prices were really reasonable and I got it on sale with free delivery. I know they sell leather again.

I plan on buying another new sofa next year and am going to probably buy it from lazy boy again.

edited to add, the leather sofe I just got rid of was purchased at jennifer leather and it held up super well.

So I would look at lazy boy or jennifer leather for starters. Make sure whereever you go has free shipping because that can really cost a lot. And often in this ecomony you can bargain.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
I''m also suggesting Jennifer Leather. They have outlets also, but the base prices are pretty good and we were able to negotiate free delivery by not getting quick delivery in a stock sofa.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you in Illinois? My mom is trying to give away a great leather sofa but we don't know anyone who needs it! It has two recliners that come out on each end. It's light tan, I think.

ETA: Have you driven around to check out furniture stores that are going out of business? Practically every locally-owned furniture store around us is going out of business, you can find some steals.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I know this is something most people don''t think about, but did you consider reupholstering your old one? If the frame is good why spend the money on a new one if you can reupholster it yourself (you can also get fabric teflon and scotchguard protected) for less in a durable fabric and then someday invest in a high end leather sofa.

I firmly believe paying more for high end furniture that will last forever. If you figure the cost of your old sofa, plus the cost of a new one, and in a few years the cost of another, you could buy one high end piece that has a great frame and just reupholster when needed.

IMO I think the best leather sofas are made by Hancock & Moore and(http://www.hancockandmoore.com) and Leathercraft ( http://leathercraft-furniture.com) I have a H&M sofa and an Ekornes Stressless leather chair with ottoman and love them both.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions guys....I will check out Jennifer and LazyBoy. Haven, I am in FL but thanks so much for the idea about the mom and pop type shops going out of business, I will check to see what we have around here. Soocool, I thought about reupholstering it, but all the cushions are starting to go really flat (we''ve had it for 7 years) and by the time I took it in and had it restuff and reupholstered, I could probably just buy another sofa...I could be wrong though, I haven''t priced it out. Thanks again!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
When you do find your sofa, see if the store offers a deal where you can pay for lifetime maintenance. My mom''s leather sofas came with a lifetime maintenance agreement, and the store recently redid all of the cushions on one of them after her Border Collie Tallulah tore them up during a thunderstorm. It looks brand new, and with kids it might be a good thing to have.
2.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Have you checked out any Danish style furniture companies? There are several throughout the US and they tend to be pretty reasonable. We got our (sectional) couch for under $1K (although it's in microfiber--the same style in leather as a regular couch rather than a sectional was still under 1K though). It's REALLY comfortable and looks great.

This is the couch we got although we got it in a brown (they called it mushroom) rather than red.

164b8bd76ca1e7d37ba304d549291980.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good thread Steph! I''ll follow along w/the places mentioned..we''ll be in the market soon too. We need to find something a little more heavy duty than what we have..my husband can''t just "sit", he flops and the whole couch tilts back-I''m surprised the dumb thing doesn''t cave in on him one of these days.

I second the leather as well. Our couch is fabric..microfiber or who knows what, and it''s only 5 1/2 years old but looks like it''s been thru the ringer-full of stains. Our leather recliner is almost perfect.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 7:22:22 PM
Author: ladypirate
Have you checked out any Danish style furniture companies? There are several throughout the US and they tend to be pretty reasonable. We got our (sectional) couch for under $1K (although it's in microfiber--the same style in leather as a regular couch rather than a sectional was still under 1K though). It's REALLY comfortable and looks great.

This is the couch we got although we got it in a brown (they called it mushroom) rather than red.

Hey ladyp, great couch! What brand is it? I just bought a couch but now I'm looking for some modern chairs and would love to check that place out!

steph-I got a new couch a month or so ago from La-Z-Boy and I LOVE it. It's actually very clean and modern-not puffy at all and still very comfortable. It was about $1k for fabric, though, not leather, and delivery was around $80. We got it when they were doing a 15% off sale, which I think they do pretty often. You can get their couches in all fabrics and a lot of the other couches there were around $700-$800 in fabric so maybe leather wouldn't be that much more?

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 9:48:19 PM
Author: thing2of2
Date: 9/25/2009 7:22:22 PM

Author: ladypirate

Have you checked out any Danish style furniture companies? There are several throughout the US and they tend to be pretty reasonable. We got our (sectional) couch for under $1K (although it''s in microfiber--the same style in leather as a regular couch rather than a sectional was still under 1K though). It''s REALLY comfortable and looks great.

Hey ladyp, great couch! What brand is it? I just bought a couch but now I''m looking for some modern chairs and would love to check that place out!

We got it from Dania. Their website is http://www.daniafurniture.com/ We were amazed that we were able to find a sectional there that fit into our very specific space!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the advice! I was actually able to go out today to a few places including Haverty''s where I looked at the sofa I linked to. It looks very nice in person and was very comfortable. It is top grain leather, so I think we are sold on it. I am just going to take hubby in on the weekend to make sure he is comfortable in it (he is very tall) and if so, then we are going with that one. Thanks again:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results