shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for a 2ct+/- brilliant sky blue-corn flowe blue sapphire for minimal setting E-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
thats such a nice story. so glad you have what you wanted- you should nt settle on anything you don t love for your ering!

kitoto

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone! Specially to Sapphire Panda who introduced me to Dana. He is not on the vendor list and had I not received good words I would never have found him on Google by myself!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 11:10:09 PM
Author: kitoto

Okay. I am back, with a big smile on my face as I update the status of my E-ring project.

WOW the before and after is amazing!! Glad you had it recut!
36.gif

sapphire.panda

Rough_Rock
You''re welcome! I am glad you are so happy with your sapphire.
41.gif

Dana rocks!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dana is great! Glad you finally got something you love!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
So glad it worked out!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for posting an update. And what a beautiful stone! That really is an unusual color and I''m glad everything worked out, including the recut! Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your sapphire in its setting.

fusica

Rough_Rock
Wow that is truly amazing cut work, may i know how much it cost you to re-cut them,
Just for future reference, because i see alot of gems online i like but dislike natural cutting on them.

kitoto

Rough_Rock
Fusica,
Dana quote me for $100 including shipping but at the end he only charged me for $85 becuase it doesn''t need extra crown work done. And the turn over time is ~10 days.
My jewler said the job is amazing for the price.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/25/2009 5:28:51 PM
Author: fusica
Wow that is truly amazing cut work, may i know how much it cost you to re-cut them,
Just for future reference, because i see alot of gems online i like but dislike natural cutting on them.
Before you buy something that you want to have recut...find out if it is deep enough. A stone must have a certain depth for a cutter to be able to work with it!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
The stone looks beautiful with the recut! I''m so glad you had it fixed up. It''s a lovely stone.
36.gif

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
StoneHunter is definitely correct; this is my rule-of-thumb... 75 percent depth to width ratio; so if your stone is 8mm in diameter it would need to be at the very least 5.5 to 6 mm in depth from the table to the culet; and that would also take into consideration the crown was not very tall.
But if the gem is 8mm round and only 4mm deep well that would not be a good return or yield unless it was a tsavorite and you only paid 40 dollars for it.
There are many things to take into consideration; such as flaws, the types of flaws, dark C axis tourmalines, etc., and also the mineral type. I would suggest contacting me off forum on items like this as there are some minerals I will not touch; but they are usually the weird ones or gems that have multiple cleavage planes.

This was a good example of it being worth while as the gem was 8mm in diameter or 8.1 and it was 4.6mm deep but had a very shallow crown. It was 2.56 carat and went to a 2.13 carat; I normally go 40 degrees on the culet facets on corundum but this one I dropped to a 38.5 as I knew I was above critical angle and it allowed me to save weight and diameter. Then all I had to do was go in and straighten the girdle facets to make it more round as it was just a little off.

All-in-all it turned out very nice as the body color was good and free of issues that may have caused problems in the cutting process.

Yes it is nice to take a gem that may have been thrown aside and make it very useful again.

I hope this in no way offends anyone or is promoting my work as it is not intended to ; this is only for determining IF a gem is cost effective to take on a re-cut.

Most respectfully;

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the clarification Dana!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the detailed info Dana. There are other PS vendors who do recuts too so this is helpful info.

But I would caution buyers to reserve a stone and then check with a PS vendor to see if it meets their criteria for a recut before spending alot of money. Unless you could love the stone for it''s color and ignore the cut if it can''t be recut!

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes by all means contact YOUR cutter not me as to whether your stone will justify a re-cut; sorry I did not mean ME per say but YOUR favorite cutter; they may cut gems I would not and vise-versa.
Just a slip of the proverbial tongue; as I am not promoting I am the only cutter that re-cuts gems.

Sorry about that; I did not notice it until I re-read it and that is an Ooops..
23.gif

Sorry;

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha Dana, you are too funny.

Thank you for the info though!

kitoto

Rough_Rock
My jeweler J.Wade sent me the CAD today!!!
Ready to see them???!!!!!

6549_7.jpg

mousey

Shiny_Rock
thats is BEAUTIFUL. The stone looks wonderful- what a color!

kitoto

Rough_Rock
Now, getting techical. Could you all experienced guru let me know if this size is okay (comfortness, practical, etc...)

Thanks!
35.gif

kitoto101922.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
great design!...can't wait for your finished piece
I know that will be very practial and comfortable as well as it showcases your sapphire very well because I have a ring that is very similar in design and it is actually my most comfortable ring to wear (except mine had a princess cut stone instead)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that is fabulous! I can''t wait to see it on your hand!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, your sapphire turned out to be gorgeous!!!

Where in NC is Dana???! I need to go visit him one day!!!

kitoto

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone, especially D&T! It''s always great to confirm with people who has similar rings!
1.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know how I missed your CADs! That looks like its going to be lovely!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is amazing! I can''t wait to see the completed ring.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Oh my Gosh!!! So gorgeous. I love that stone and your ring design. Awesome!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results