shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting idea for my Dan spinel and a ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Some of you may remember the 1.34 spinel I got from Dan (it looks like Yingh had this stone before I did
1.gif
). Anyway, since it''s on the small side, I was thinking of setting it in a 3 stone ring and picked up a pair of rhodolite garnets from multicolous as possible side stones. I am toying with the idea of going 2 tone with yellow gold semi-bezels. I am slightly concerned with darkening the spinel further so any suggestions you have to avoid that would be great.

spin_garnet.jpg

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock

spin_garnet2.jpg

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock

spin_garnet3.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color combo!

I think semi bezels wouldn''t darken it too much. Wouldn''t holding it between your fingers have a similar effect as an a semibezel?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I think semi-bezels would be ok, though I am having a hard time picturing it in yellow gold. Make sure the bezel gallery has some openings for light and it would be very pretty!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, when the sapphire is this dark, there''s really not much reason to worry about further darkening (not trying to sound rude or cruel, just being honest). So I don''t think a semi-bezel would be a bad idea, maybe even on the contrary. To explain - if you''d set it in prongs, especially white ones, that would only leave the stone dark or possibly make it seem even darker due to the high contrast of deep blue with white metal. But if you opt for a softer contrast like that with yellow gold, you might even make this dark blue color look somewhat richer and less dark - and the more of the yellow there is around the stone, the better this effect might turn out to be for the sapphire. Rhodolite side stones seem like a good idea if you ask me, as those also tend to look really nice in yellow gold. In fact, for this project (due to the darkness of the sapphire), I''d think about some high karat gold alloy like 22k, and also about making full bezels for rhodolites, to make the tones (darkness) of all the stones as close to eachother as possible. Of course, with current prices of gold, high karat setting might be pricey, but if you love these stones and would really like to wear them in such a style, go for it.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m with MonkeyPie. There are some lovely open gallery semi bezels and the colors complement each other well! I haven''t seen any in yellow gold, but if you''re looking at stock settings, there are a number abounding.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour combination looks pleasant and I think going with yellow gold will soften the contrast of the dark stones. If you can go with a high karat gold, it’ll look even better. I guess you aren’t fond of prong set for these?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''m with yellow gold for the setting. I really like the colour combo.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just LOVE your idea of doing a 3 stone ring. And I like the color combo you''ve picked. Very nice.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results