shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking Advice on EGL Cert Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Prufrock

Rough_Rock

I purchased a "Tolkowsky Ideal Cut" 1.01 Cts, F, VS2 diamond with an EGL cert from a jeweler who claimed that the cert is by EGL-USA Lab, even though the certificate says E.G.L. International on the cover and the title. When I went to the following EGL /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]usa /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]website, I was able confirmed that what I have is clearly NOT an EGL USA cert. http://www.eglusa.com/brochure/pg3.htm

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Could this be an honest mistake? My jeweler still seems to think that what he got for me is a diamond with an EGL-USA cert! He said when he intially searched Polygon to to get the diamond; he put that criterion in the search parameter as well as confirming the cert being EGL-USA from his seller.

So how much should I be concerned about the fact that this is an EGL non-USA Lab graded diamond? Also, are some EGL International labs better than others? How can I tell which non-USA EGL lab this certificate came from? It simply says "E.G.L. International" on the certificate.

BTW, to my untrained eyes, the EGL diamond looks pretty good when I even compared it to a well known brand of Hearts and Arrows diamond. Of course, if one really examines at it under the shadow or dull florescent light, it does not have as crisp internal symmetry as a TRUE hearts and arrows diamond would, but to my untrained eyes, its brilliance and dispersion seem to be equal to a TRUE hearts and arrows diamond. (I actually took out 2 stones - one branded G, SI1, H&A and one the F, VS2, EGL Cert diamond (which I eventually purchased) -, and carried them around all day, and compared the 2 stones side by side under all different lighting conditions.) I guess, I don't trust my eyes 100%. Who know whether after a year of so, I will "see" some aspects of diamonds that I did not notice before. So that's why I am wanting a diamond that also looks good on the paper ... as a peace of mind.

The specification checks out to be within the ranges of "Tolkowsky Ideal Cut" as follows:

6.48 - 6.43 x 3.96 mm/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Depth: 61.3%/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Table Width: 57%/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Crown Height: 15%/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Pavilion Depth: 43%/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Girdle: Medium/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Polish: Good/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Symmetry: Very Good/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Culet: None/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Fluoresce: None/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Price: $4,848 (Incl Tax)

I would appreciate any advices and feedback from the Pricescope community.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
You need the crown and pavillion angles to know just how good of a cut your diamond is.

If you are unsure about your diamond due to EGL certificate, why not take the diamond to an independent appraiser to check it out?

cool_rock

Rough_Rock
Prufrock, You should get the ring appraised, if you are unsure... After all, it is a small investment compared to the diamond...

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
This link from a prior post may help you decide where the cert's really from?
I had a recent bad grading experience w EGL Isreal...
Good luck!
1.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-got-the-independent-appraisal-good-news-for-all-you-egl-buyers-read-on.8423/

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Using the information you provided, the HCA scored your diamond at 1.2, TIC, Ex/Ex/Ex/Vg. Angles are much more accurate, so the actual # score may be as much as double if angles were used instead of %'s. Still, it sounds like you may have a very nice performer.

If the grading is accurate, you got a fairly good deal on price as well. Average asking price for comparable diamonds among Price Scope Vendors is about $1K higher for GIA and AGS Certed diamonds than you paid. EGL diamonds tend to trade for a discount as compared to GIA and AGS, and can make for real bargains when accurately graded.
1.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
An appraisal may ease your fears or create new ones.

The best approach might be to enjoy your purchase. At $4800 including tax it seems like at least a decent deal, even if the grading happens to be a bit off. That water has flowed under the bridge.

If you are really curious, you can pay $150-$200(?) and get a thorough appraisal. Then you'll know exactly what you have.

Another option might be to send it to GIA's lab and then compare reports.

Allison

Rough_Rock
EGL USA has four labs, which are all in North America: NY, LA, Vancouver and Toronto. They are not affiliated with any of the EGL labs outside of the U.S. or Canada.

It's not difficult to distguish between the EGL USA labs and those outside of North America. Look for US or CA preceding the certicate number on the cert. Also the words "A Member of the USA GRoup" will appear on each EGL USA cert.

You can also verify your certificate at www.EGLUSA.com.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
That cert should be from Israel.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results