shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopping online for gemstone jewelry....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

niceice21

Rough_Rock
Hello there, I''ve started coming to this site for guidance on my jewelry purchases because I''ve grown rather disenchanted with my local maul store selections and services. I''m going to be in the market for an Ering at some point, and I''ve already checked out the Pearl forum, but I like to get jewelry with colored gemstones in it for my girlfriend as well. So far, I''ve puchased some tanzinite and pink saphire pieces for her from the local store but I''ve finally become fed up with their customer service and paying for their markups so I''ve decided to look online. I looked the thread at the top and found a bunch of links to the gemstone sites, but I''m not really looking to get loose stones, I want finished pieces. I would like a wide selection for decent prices...(I''m basically looking for a GOG, Whiteflash, James Allen, etc. type site, only I dont want diamond only jewelry).

Any Suggestions?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
welcome!

Pull up a chair and get some snackies, its going to be a interesting ride
emteeth.gif

Exactly what are you looking for? rings, pendant, earrings? What color(s) stone? (very important)

Whats your budget?

There''s a lot of great folks here who know a lot, you just need to provide a few details.

-A

niceice21

Rough_Rock
Honestly, I can''t really give any specifics....I''m just looking for a reputable site to browse. I''d like to avoid the "normal" outlets, like Kays, Zales, Ostermann, etc. I''ve already gotten her a couple of necklaces, some rings, some earings, and a bracelet, most of those with the colored stones...I know she really likes the tanzinite and I would eventually like to get her some amythest pieces cuz I know she likes that. I''m looking for a place that can offer a wide selection of both types stones and pieces of jewelry...my budget would vary depending on the occassion. I can go anywhere from 100-1500 depending on the occassion and if I can afford it. Right now, I''m just looking for a small piece to celebrate our upcoming two years of being together.

To be honest, I don''t know very much about colored gemstones, I''ve done a lot of reading on diamonds, and on pearls, but I have a very limited knowledge of what to look for with gemstones. I''m not sure if I want to start learning all of the specifics for gemstones, just because I''ve done so much reading already, I''m just looking for a place to shop! :)
Thanks!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink Jones -- he''s listed in the online list you looked at -- sells stones that he''s mounted into settings. He''s very well thought of here.

Part of the fun of colored stones is buying the stones first, so I hope other PSers can make other suggestions of places to buy completed things.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
many of us will mention that you will get a far better stone loose (pricewise and quality) and then find a setting for the stone. Is there a particular color you have in mind? or what you want to get (bracelet, ring or pendant, or something else?)? you say amethyst in the future - do you want to get her that now?

ETA: Michael at gemshoppe.com does set stones and make jewelry as well as cut stones if you are interested. Gary Dutton at diamondexpert.com sells stones and he can get settings and his benchman can make jewelry as well. Whiteflash can source gemstone and as you know they can make settings as well.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Rick Martin at Art Cut Gems is also a jeweler so he can set the stones he sells too.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^^ what they said.

But, if you''re looking for someone to give you a completed ring, why not try etsy? https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-fun-things-on-etsy.107673/

There''s quite a few etsy etailers that make custom pieces to your spec. They can source stones for you as well, giving you a complete piece. That thread I posted is really a great thread to check out as well as being able to see some kick ass designs
36.gif

Also I think Barry at ACS has a few complete pieces on his website. There''s more but those are the only ones I know of for sure.

I urge you to look around and see whats out there in the colors you''re interested in. There''s a sticky thread at the top of this forum that gives a list of vendors that sell colored stones. Also check out the colored gemstone rings/eyecandy sticky.

A

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
If you don''t want to do custom pieces you could also look at Stuller or Adwar. They''re both pretty common places to get mountings (they sell to the trade only though so you have to go through a jeweler). If you see a setting you like you can talk to Rick or Wink or whomever about what shape/size would fit and could help you pick out something.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If she likes antique styles you can consider antique dealers, at least for those more expensive pieces. You''re more likely to find better quality stones that way (than in most stores with ready-made pieces), and if a piece is in good condition, that''s a sign of quality craftsmanship - if something lasts for decades and still looks nice, it''s well constructed. Not to mention that those pieces always have a story behind them and are really a piece of history. Catherine Zeta Jones has an e-ring from an antique store...worth a few million dollars
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Unfortunately, if you want quality pieces with the best pricing, your best bet is to buy loose stones and get them set, much like how the diamond market works unless you are willing to shell out mega bucks for branded items. You can get reasonably priced stock settings from Stuller or something fancier from LOGR.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2009 7:33:08 PM
Author: niceice21
Honestly, I can''t really give any specifics....I''m just looking for a reputable site to browse. I''d like to avoid the ''normal'' outlets, like Kays, Zales, Ostermann, etc. I''ve already gotten her a couple of necklaces, some rings, some earings, and a bracelet, most of those with the colored stones...I know she really likes the tanzinite and I would eventually like to get her some amythest pieces cuz I know she likes that. I''m looking for a place that can offer a wide selection of both types stones and pieces of jewelry...my budget would vary depending on the occassion. I can go anywhere from 100-1500 depending on the occassion and if I can afford it. Right now, I''m just looking for a small piece to celebrate our upcoming two years of being together.

To be honest, I don''t know very much about colored gemstones, I''ve done a lot of reading on diamonds, and on pearls, but I have a very limited knowledge of what to look for with gemstones. I''m not sure if I want to start learning all of the specifics for gemstones, just because I''ve done so much reading already, I''m just looking for a place to shop! :)
Thanks!
Hi Niceice, welcome to Pricescope and in particular, Coloured Stones.

We would love to help you get nice pieces for your girlfriend. As a few have suggested, buying loose stones is probably the preferred way to go, but I think you can work up to that if you stick around.

Meanwhile, you mentioned that you would like to get your girlfriend a piece of jewellery in amethyst. There is a couple of places you can look. The first is the Colorado Gem and Mineral Mine Secondly, I would suggest Artistic Coloured Stones There is a wider selection of gems and jewellery at the second site, which is owned by Barry Bridgestock. Many Pricescopers have bought stones and jewellery pieces from him and he comes highly recommended. You might find a loose stone that you like and could enquire about getting it set.

Let us know what you think.

niceice21

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much Gailey! That first site has a few pieces that caught my eye and are well within budget. The jewelry selection is the kind of stuff that I am looking for! I''m sure that going custom would be much cheaper, but truthfully, I don''t think I have the time or desire to get that involved with putting stuff together. I really would just like to be able to look at pieces and decide if theyre aesthetically pleasing to me and whether she would like them or not. I''m already stressed enough with learning about diamonds and finding the right center stone and eventually getting that mounted....
emsmile.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I understand. I don''t think you will go far wrong with either of the two sites I posted.

She''s a lucky young lady.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results