shape
carat
color
clarity

My Search For My Fiance''s Wedding Earrings (Beach Wedding in Florida)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Hey All,

Looking for a pair of Bluish Green (colour of the ocean) earrings for my Fiance to wear to our beach wedding I was going to surprise her. Something under the $1000 range, doesn''t have to be rare or natural, can include diamonds, not studs, long and dangly, delicate clean design and over 6mm would be preferred. Nothing too dark, I know NOTHING about coloured stones, but it doesn''t have to have a super vivid colour but enough to notice the colour from a distance and a fair amount of sparkle.

1) Aquamarine?
2) Blue Green Topaz?
3) Blue Tourmaline?
4) CZ?

Probably set in White Gold, nothing that looks cheap like some silver settings. Nothing too busy, diamonds or bluish stone only.

I know 0 about coloured stones so any choices you may come across would be greatly appeciated.

Regards,
CCL

SB621

Ideal_Rock

SB621

Ideal_Rock

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 12:19:33 AM
Author: Sarahbear621
here are a few I like- I would contact the vendors to see your stone choices. Does she perfer white or yellow gold? what does her dress look like? This might be hard unless you know what the dress looks like as you want the earrings to really show off the dress at the wedding.

http://www.luxearrings.com/gemstone/14kwhitgoldpink.html

http://www.lusterforever.com/product/14k-white-gold-diamond-blue-topaz-earrings-1075.cfm

http://www.finegemsandjewelry.com/display-id-Topaz-Earrings.htm
White Gold not yellow, Prefer BlueGreen or light blue. Dress is going to be less formal, strapless with long clean lines and small train(she won''t show it to me) . She would want to wear long thin earrings maybe danglers. Asscher or pear cut maybe?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would chose a blue zircon if you want lots of sparkle. Zircon is NOT the same as cubic zirconia (CZ) but a natural stone with very high dispersion so you will get the sparkle and fire that you do with a diamond. They are not very tough and prone to chipping on the facet edges, so earrings are ideal as they won't get bashed like a ring can.

Otherwise another great option is tourmaline - Here's a matched pair of blue-green ovals from Rick at Art Cut Gems. A lot of the PS vendors can also arrange for the stones to be set for you so you don't necessarily need a separate jeweller to do the work.

For $1k I would definitely buy the stones separately and have them set.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second the suggestion for zircons. Although soft, they should hold up well in earrings and the high RI means a lot of sparkle.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 7:08:00 AM
Author: Pandora II
I would chose a blue zircon if you want lots of sparkle. Zircon is NOT the same as cubic zirconia (CZ) but a natural stone with very high dispersion so you will get the sparkle and fire that you do with a diamond. They are not very tough and prone to chipping on the facet edges, so earrings are ideal as they won''t get bashed like a ring can.

Otherwise another great option is tourmaline - Here''s a matched pair of blue-green ovals from Rick at Art Cut Gems. A lot of the PS vendors can also arrange for the stones to be set for you so you don''t necessarily need a separate jeweller to do the work.

Thank-you, those tourmalines look pretty and I will start asking about getting the earrings custom seems like I should pick the design and have them made.

I will look into zircon any particular place in mind for that?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 8:48:14 AM
Author: Chrono
I second the suggestion for zircons. Although soft, they should hold up well in earrings and the high RI means a lot of sparkle.
Thank-you on the RI of zircon, any particular cut you would prefer? For a good balance of cut and light return?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 9:24:33 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

I would chose a blue zircon if you want lots of sparkle. Zircon is NOT the same as cubic zirconia (CZ) but a natural stone with very high dispersion so you will get the sparkle and fire that you do with a diamond. They are not very tough and prone to chipping on the facet edges, so earrings are ideal as they won't get bashed like a ring can.

Otherwise another great option is tourmaline - Here's a matched pair of blue-green ovals from Rick at Art Cut Gems. A lot of the PS vendors can also arrange for the stones to be set for you so you don't necessarily need a separate jeweller to do the work.

Thank-you, those tourmalines look pretty and I will start asking about getting the earrings custom seems like I should pick the design and have them made.

I suggest writing to Dana at mastercutgems. He has zircon rough that he can cut for you. Here is a pair for earrings that has been sold, but gives you an idea of the color. Link

ETA - More pictures of the zircons here. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/so-umm-a-few-more-new-gems.124622/

bluezircon20891.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 12:21:25 AM
Author: Sarahbear621
these too! once again these are just some that I found. I suggest you go to google and search google images for ''topas earrings'' or ''blue sapphire'' earrings and that will really help you look at many of the choices out there on the net.

http://www.finegemsandjewelry.com/display-id-Topaz-Earrings.htm
Thank-you for the quick response.

http://www.myjewelrybox.com/?section=item&itemID=5474

I googled and found those I like the style a lot. They told me its a light swiss blue topaz.
I guess Topaz''s are cheap to begin with but that seems too inexpensive for the piece I like working with quality jewlerers as I would hate for it to look cheaply made.

I guess I''m going to try to look at a few different stones somewhere local to get a feel for color of the stones but I doubt I''m going to find zircon''s but you never know.

Any other suggestions on what I should be looking out for in terms of cut or shape?
I wanted more of a blue with a hint of green rather than total blue.

The RI for diamond = 2.42
RI for Zircon = 1.96
RI for Topaz = 1.61
RI for Tourmaline= 1.63

So would it be fair to assume that given the same shape and quality of cut Topaz would sparkle about as much as Tourmaline? whereas Zircon would be significantly more and diamond even more so.

I hope I can find some decent example of these stones locally in Montreal or in Toronto.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The thing is that green is often considered an undesirable modifier in a bluish stone, which is one reason you are seeing more blue examples.

Any jeweler can order settings from Stuller Link and set them with your stones and add the tiny diamonds. The link shows some settings that are available. Note the sizes and shape for the center stones and whether it comes in white gold or not. Choosing center stones in a calibrated size (i.e., a size that fits premade mountings) will save you from going custom and save lots of $$$. I'm attaching an example of a Stuller mounting. All the stones will need to be added by a jeweler.

Stuller84504_102_W.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 9:36:34 AM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 9/8/2009 9:24:33 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

I would chose a blue zircon if you want lots of sparkle. Zircon is NOT the same as cubic zirconia (CZ) but a natural stone with very high dispersion so you will get the sparkle and fire that you do with a diamond. They are not very tough and prone to chipping on the facet edges, so earrings are ideal as they won''t get bashed like a ring can.

Otherwise another great option is tourmaline - Here''s a matched pair of blue-green ovals from Rick at Art Cut Gems. A lot of the PS vendors can also arrange for the stones to be set for you so you don''t necessarily need a separate jeweller to do the work.

I suggest writing to Dana at mastercutgems. He has zircon rough that he can cut for you. Here is a pair for earrings that has been sold, but gives you an idea of the color. Link

ETA - More pictures of the zircons here. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/so-umm-a-few-more-new-gems.124622/
I emailed him working on an option with him. He doesn''t do settings himself anymore but says he can order anything though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results