shape
carat
color
clarity

being unemployed: fun at first..not so much now

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
i called my single unemployed friend and she was some help, but i do not feel finished complaining. i would never burden my employed friends with this!

background: i worked as a recruiter in ny for a year, i was layed off in february, i took the ct bar exam in july, and now i''m looking for a job. i spent a really long time editing my resume, writing individual cover letters for local firms and mentally preparing myself to visit firms. you would not believe what kind of a toll being layed off takes on your ego---even though i was the last recruiter remaining and the only one to make a placement during the really rough times, i still felt totally worthless when i was let go. so i printed everything off and put on my professional clothes for the first time since being layed off, and i nervously walked into a law firm. i happily waited for an hour to speak with an attorney, and he blew me off within 3 minutes. i went back to my car and just broke down crying!! it''s not that he was particularly mean, it''s how impossible my job search feels. is anybody else dealing with a really frustrating job search???

i went to taco bell because i was already in the dumps, got 3 tacos, and came home and ate them and drank a newcastle. i feel better after the tacos and the beer, but i still feel like i have no idea what i am going to do. i am a major planner--i have always planned everything, and i always know what is going to happen next. i always registered for classes, tests, everything early. i feel most comfortable when i am a step ahead....i feel so lost right now!!

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
I know exactly how you feel...

After being in school for so long and having such a consistent schedule, not having that is one of the hardest things for me. In my last semester I took park in an internship which "guaranteed" a position after the semester ended, being very exited to be given an opportunity like this I was beyond exited and dedicated to this internship. At the end of this semester I really first hand understood what people meant what people meant when they say that "when things seem too good they usually are". Basically there was no position available at the time when my internship ended so I was not given the guaranteed position with this organization but instead I received a "If we had a position available at this time we would be delighted to hire Em." So now here I am finished with school (for now at least, id like to go back and earn my masters in early childhood education with no job...and its driving me crazy. I at least had the whole month after graduation to be kept busy with wedding planning, but now that my wedding has come and gone what am I supposed to do?

Im not the kind of person to stay at home and not do anything, I love to work and to be kept busy so this is definitely out of my element.Just last week I was at my parents house when I broke down in front of my brother and my mom about how this is not what im used to and that I just want to start working...

so i know exactly where your coming from....

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been there. When fi and I moved out to Colorado, I had a job...for 2 days, the company crashed and everyone was laid off. It was horrible! Then about 3 months later I joined another company for about 3 weeks, they gave me some lame excuse that my performance was lackluster even though it was actually their equipment not working which resulted in me not getting as many things done as I should have been able to. Went about 4 months and ended up working at Olive Garden and then was offered a contracting position where I am now until the end of the year. So around October I will be looking again. It''s not a fun feeling at all and I went through a serious bout of depression because of it. I''m keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that your unemployed period doesn''t last as long as mine did! Keep your head up, if they don''t see what a great person you are, then they are the ones who are missing out on the opportunity.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Just hang in there, and keep plugging away. I don''t have any real advice, but I know how hard it can be to be w/o a job, and desperately looking to find one. I wish you the best.

((HUGS!))

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
I''m totally there with you. I got layed off in January and have been unemployed since. We moved to PA in early March and I thought I''d be able to find at least something part time, but no luck. I actually just had an interview today that I think went really well, so I''m keeping my fingers crossed something works out. She said if all my references checked out she would be interestd in startin my training when we get back from our honeymoon in September. Its just a partt ime job, but its awesome and totally fits in with my background and experiences. We can totally live off FI''s salary with a part time job for me. My job search was so frustrating though. I applied to everyplace I could think of and no one even contacted me back. Its just an awful time to find a job. Good luck!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cocolaw, sorry to hear you''re bummed out. This is an incredibly difficult job market; it''s sucked since 2002/2003, and seems to have gotten worse in the past couple of years for new lawyers.

My friend graduated in 2003, and ended up opening her own practice with a business partner because they couldn''t get jobs. I know other people who have done the same. That is one option, although it''s a lot of work and can be very daunting. Some people seem to jump in just fine.

I graduated in 2004, was licensed at the end of that year, but didn''t land my first firm job until the beginning of 2006. I did a lot of document review jobs, and had to suck up some really crappy jobs before getting my current position. A lot of friends were in the same boat.

Key things: network, network, network. Have friends or acquaintances keep their ears open. Since law firms aren''t really advertising, or get too many resumes when they post a listing, it''s a lot easier if someone knows and can vouch for you. Attend CLEs or bar events and meet attorneys at functions. You''ve got to stand out to be noticed.

Be willing to volunteer or do pro bono work. You can look into the State Bar and sign up for some pro bono programs. Most are willing to provide some training, and you''ll likely have an experienced attorney to guide you through working on the case. It''ll give you practical job skills that you can put on your resume.

Be prepared to send out a lot of resumes, but not to get a lot of responses. With the digital age, firms are getting hundreds of applicants via e-mail and faxes.

Don''t give up. Even if you interview, but it doesn''t pan out, write a thank you and keep their info at hand. Although I didn''t get my job the first time I interviewed with the firm (it went to another person who knew someone at the firm - networking), it was clear I qualified for the job. 6 months later, another position opened up, and I contacted them again. This time, I got the job.

It totally sucks, so you have to remember to stick with it. I remember feeling really discouraged at times, so I totally feel. Best of luck!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
thank you for the encouragement! it certainly does help to know that other people are feeling the same way. i''m going to start over tomorrow and hopefully have better luck :)

yimmers: i have really considered that-once i am barred, i am considering starting a dui defense practice. it seems like a very manageable practice. i never did trials in law school, so this would be VERY new to me. it seems doable though.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
cocolaw, i feel ya girl!

FI and i both just finished grad school. i''m a teacher & could probably find a job but feel a little stiffled because FI will probably relocate when he finds a job (which means i will too!) so, i felt/feel really reluctant to get a classroom & have to leave whenever he gets a job. it seems unfair to my students and to me. i need to go apply to substitute until we figure out our situation but you''re right, being unemployed just gets you down. some days i just feel like i''m in a funk
7.gif

but i know i need to do something, even if it''s just volunteering--i''ve got to find something to do to get out of the house! good luck to you on your search & keep me posted with how it goes!!! it''s so tough right now!

p.s. taco bell & beer always helps!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Aw geez coco, I sooooo feel you on this.

I lost my day job in April, and my restaurant job in June... and I am DESPERATE not to go back to working in a restaurant... my heart just isn''t in it anymore.

Of course I will if I have to, but I have been desperately searching for a day job in administration/accounting and I hope something pans out once the wedding is behind us and I don''t have that vacation time looming.

Good luck and plenty of dust from someone who knows all too well how you feel!!

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
My Hubby was laid off last month. This is the 3rd time in 6 years and the toughest yet. Its only been a month and we are already feeling like we did at the end of the 8 month long job search the last time. stressed, beaten down, annoyed, angry, pi**ed. the only thing I think that is keeping him from feeling depressed is that this time there are so many people in his situation. It is happening to everyone everywhere and there are just so few jobs right now. It is difficult and we try not to think about down the road too much. I am working a good job, not a job that would support him and I and our 3 daughters after unemployment runs out though. I hope that time does not come.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
I am currently looking for work after losing my job in June. I am in the final stage for one position after completing a final assesment today, I am waiting to hear back today or Monday- it is the waiting that kills me
15.gif

I wish you the best of luck in finding something soon..

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to come through and dust this whole thread. Good luck to all of you!

I feel that I might join the ranks next year. I am looking for an academic position starting 2010-2011, and so far, in my field, there at 55 posted jobs for 800 (expected) PhDs. It is very stressful and it make all the work associated with applying (and finishing my dissertation) disheartening.

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Hi Cocolaw,

I totally know how you feel. I got out of law school and don''t have a position either. Its been quite hard knowing that I want to work, but am unable to find any positions.... Have you ever thought of doing some pro bono work while you wait? I''m currently working wth an immigration organization volunteering as a pro bono attorney while I wait for something to come up. Perhaps it might be something for you to also try?

miss_flo

Shiny_Rock
I''m right there with all of you. I spent three years as a journalist and was laid off in February. I am hitting seven months of unemployment next month. I haven''t done any wedding planning because it feels so wrong to spend money when I''m not making any. I''m not depressed by any means, I just want to find a job before I think about getting married. It doesn''t help that FI loooooves his job, gets to travel every other week, and has perfect job security since he''s in the military. I will admit that I''m both jealous and happy for him. The only thing keeping me sane right now is grad school. Thank goodness for that.

oct2009

Rough_Rock
I can completely understand. I was laid off from a firm in December and didn''t land another job until May. It was tough sometimes, but just focus on casting your net wider than you think you need to. I found my job because an acquaintance tipped me off about an opportunity while I was applying to his firm. It''s hard not to feel like (or come off as) a total zombie in your first interviews (I totally did), but keep your head up. Focus on what you want to do. And take a look at the federal government - some agencies are hiring like mad right now. Best of luck!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
ugh! all of these unemployed attorneys. how sad! i think what is most upsetting is that i paid over $100k for my legal education because it was supposed to ensure me a rewarding career. now all i have is debt-my degree is not even respected! it just feels like so much work, and lost time, AND MONEY for nothing!!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
i always wanted to be a decorator, but i felt like it wasn''t practical or good enough for my parents. arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!! so i went to law school! the best advice that i never got: do what you love and the money will follow.

ok sorry enough negativity. i will be back with my job search plans for next week!

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Coco, I''m there too. My job ends next month and although I have a heads up not a lot seems to be panning out in the job category. My FI and I are fortunate that we have family support and so we are moving forward with the wedding for next June. It''s the other stuff that comes along with it, honeymoon, etc that we may not have. It''ll be okay, I guess. But the job search is starting to affect me, knowing that I''ve spent 8 years honing my craft in a particular (changing) field and that now I''m not getting many responses. I''m basically preparing to go on unemployment which is something I never thought I''d have to do. But I''m finding that many people are in the same boat these days and for me there will be no shame in getting a job in retail if I have to. My (supportive) fiance tells me this is my transition period. This is the chance to be open to other opportunities and explore. I''m trying to concentrate on the positive, but also we have what many people don''t have - a loving partner/spouse to help us go through this, so we''re not alone.

This too shall pass is what I tell myself and I will be better for it. All the best to you too.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Aww Cocolaw, just wanted to offer my sympathies and commiseration!

I''m a newbie to the board, but just finished taking my second state''s bar exam when you took CT, after taking Illinois 3 years ago. I didn''t end up getting a job after July 2006''s bar until December with a start date of January 1 and consider myself VERY fortunate to have done so! A lot of my friends didn''t end up with jobs until May, June, or later. And that was 3 years ago... so sadly the market was better, although still not great.

Just hang in there and try not to get too down on yourself. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. as I''m sure you know! You''re getting yourself out there, meeting attorneys for informational interviews, etc. Try contacting some alums from you law school as well (if you haven''t already). I always thought that was odd, but then a bunch of attorneys I worked at in my firm in Chicago had law school alums contact them and they would go out of their way to help if they could!

I''m back in the same boat as you, unemployed attorney (or so I hope I''ll become an atty in this state as I felt horrible about this bar exam, mostly in part because I had to hand write it, whereas I took the first on laptop!). Now I''m stuck wondering whether to waste too much of my time looking for lawyer jobs in lieu of spending time looking for other temporary jobs, such as contract work, law clerk jobs, serving/hostessing, etc.!

I don''t have a ton of other advice to offer, but just wanted to offer my support. If you ever need someone to complain to, I''m all yours!
2.gif

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 4:06:18 PM
Author:cocolaw
i called my single unemployed friend and she was some help, but i do not feel finished complaining. i would never burden my employed friends with this!

background: i worked as a recruiter in ny for a year, i was layed off in february, i took the ct bar exam in july, and now i''m looking for a job. i spent a really long time editing my resume, writing individual cover letters for local firms and mentally preparing myself to visit firms. you would not believe what kind of a toll being layed off takes on your ego---even though i was the last recruiter remaining and the only one to make a placement during the really rough times, i still felt totally worthless when i was let go. so i printed everything off and put on my professional clothes for the first time since being layed off, and i nervously walked into a law firm. i happily waited for an hour to speak with an attorney, and he blew me off within 3 minutes. i went back to my car and just broke down crying!! it''s not that he was particularly mean, it''s how impossible my job search feels. is anybody else dealing with a really frustrating job search???

i went to taco bell because i was already in the dumps, got 3 tacos, and came home and ate them and drank a newcastle. i feel better after the tacos and the beer, but i still feel like i have no idea what i am going to do. i am a major planner--i have always planned everything, and i always know what is going to happen next. i always registered for classes, tests, everything early. i feel most comfortable when i am a step ahead....i feel so lost right now!!
Coco I am so sorry. I totally feel you. I just completed my Master''s Degree and quit my job right before I got married. That was three months ago. I didn''t think it would be that hard for me to find something. I am finding I am over qualified to do anything part time and under qualified to be in any kind of management role. It is extemely hard for me to find something mediocre just so that I can pay my student loans back. I had my first phone interview on Friday and the guy didn''t even sound like he wanted to give the interview. He just sounded and acted like an ass the whole time. I felt like such an idiot, I prepared by researching the company and rehearsing my answers. All he asked me were yes and no questions. It was obvious to me that I could handle the position but he didn''t schedule me for a face to face interview which was a devastating blow. After I hung up, I almost started bawling in my car. I ended up going to McDonalds later that night and scarfed a hot fudge sundae and two apple pies so I can totally relate. :) I guess we just need to brush ourselves off and keep trying. I like to think that things happen for a reason so if that lawyer was an ass to you then there is something much better for you out there. Good luck with your job search.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 7:04:37 AM
Author: museikchik
Date: 8/20/2009 4:06:18 PM

Author:cocolaw

Coco I am so sorry. I totally feel you. I just completed my Master''s Degree and quit my job right before I got married. That was three months ago. I didn''t think it would be that hard for me to find something. I am finding I am over qualified to do anything part time and under qualified to be in any kind of management role. It is extemely hard for me to find something mediocre just so that I can pay my student loans back. I had my first phone interview on Friday and the guy didn''t even sound like he wanted to give the interview. He just sounded and acted like an ass the whole time. I felt like such an idiot, I prepared by researching the company and rehearsing my answers. All he asked me were yes and no questions. It was obvious to me that I could handle the position but he didn''t schedule me for a face to face interview which was a devastating blow. After I hung up, I almost started bawling in my car. I ended up going to McDonalds later that night and scarfed a hot fudge sundae and two apple pies so I can totally relate. :) I guess we just need to brush ourselves off and keep trying. I like to think that things happen for a reason so if that lawyer was an ass to you then there is something much better for you out there. Good luck with your job search.

thank you!!! that story really made me smile. no offense, but it makes me feel great to hear that somebody else was treated like an ass, wanted to break down, and then looked to fast food for comfort.
1.gif

museikchik

Shiny_Rock
None taken. I thought it was funny how that happened to me and then a few days later I read your post. That made me feel a little better too.
2.gif
If I wasn''t married I would''ve probably felt guilty about the scarfing incident but I don''t. It has been a LONG time since I turned to food for comfort, it was semi-liberating.
36.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Good luck with finding new and challenging work ladies.
Just a thought, if you are interested in looking into the nonprofit sector, idealist.org has all kinds of interesting, perhaps more intrinsicly than extrinsically rewarding...but very interesting stuff. I get the daily update for my interests in a few different parts of the US where we might want to move...some very prestigious companies list here: link to search.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
swimmer: THANK YOU. i have a degree in public administration (heavy non-profit management focus) and some of this looks right up my ally. i see some great things to apply for. thank you again! this is going to keep me busy today!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
swimmer: OMG. i stumbled across a PERFECT job for me that was posted yesterday. they want very specific, weird experience that i have. this is really unbelievable. thank you again!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
So so glad to help! and sorry about my typo! intrinsically! gah, pre-coffee brainfart.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results