shape
carat
color
clarity

Alternate title for "junior bridesmaid? Suggestions needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hi girls,

I feel like I have been a hit&run PSer lately...have had so little time to post since we got engaged. Congrats to all the recent brides!

SO. I will gain three young nieces when we get married, and we definitely want to include them in the wedding party....but don''t know what to call them. My nephews and niece will be at a very clear flower girl/page/ring-bearer age next Spring, so that''s easy. However, my nieces-to-be will be 9 (twins) and 11 when we get married: too old to be flower girls.

And I just don''t like the term "junior bridesmaid."

Any ideas?

Does it even matter? Can everyone just be "bridal party" with the exception of MOH and BM?

We''d love suggestions.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Mini-bridesmaids! Er, Bridesmaids-in-training! Super Flower Girls!
3.gif
9.gif

Um, no, f''real, I don''t know. Given they are much, much younger (presumably) than the rest of your bridesmaids, people will probably refer to them as junior bridesmaids anyway, even if you did think up a fun title for them. They won''t be called flower girls if they have bridesmaids dresses and do bridesmaid-y things, so is this question basically about what to put on the program? (Assuming you don''t just list them as proper bridesmaids anyway, which is probably what I''d do in your place--it''d probably make them feel very grown-up and special.)

For what it''s worth, I was asked if my two nieces-to-be (ages 3 and 5) would be my bridesmaids--we''re here in the UK, so that''s maybe a cultural thing, or maybe it just shows that the age doesn''t/shouldn''t really matter?
1.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
What don''t you like about "junior bridesmaids"? Is it calling then junior or bridesmaid? I think it''s a sweet term and I love when little girls are asked to be in weddings. They really "get it" so much more than toddler flower girls.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
mini-maids :)

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I was a junior bridesmaid at the age of 11. My sister was 16 at the time and called a bridesmaid and my brother was 13 and called a groomsman. It honestly didn''t bother me at all to be the only person in the wedding party to be a "junior." No one made a big deal about it anyways, I guess this might have been because I looked 16 at the time instead of 11. Anyways, I was only referred to as a junior bridesmaid twice, the rest of the time I was just a member of the wedding party. It''s not a big deal at all, I''m sure they''re super excited to be in your wedding party and being a junior won''t bother them.
1.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would just refer to them as bridesmaids if it was me. They''ll feel more grown-up that way and I don''t see why they need a different title!

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 8:14:49 AM
Author: thing2of2
I would just refer to them as bridesmaids if it was me. They''ll feel more grown-up that way and I don''t see why they need a different title!
I agree, If it''s the junior part that bothers you, just name them regular bridesmaids...

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback, girls!

They really are little girls, so I don't feel comfortable calling them bridesmaids. (I mean--my youngest bridesmaid will be 33. I think my future BIL would have a mild heart-attack thinking of his 3rd and 5th graders as grown-up bridesmaids!) But I do agree that just not differentiating might be the best approach.
Something like:
Bridal Attendants
Matron of Honor
everyone else

Groom's Attendants
Best Man
everyone else

OR
"Wedding Party" at the top
Then listed separately:
Matron of Honor
Bride's Attendants

Best Man
Groom's Attendants.

Hmmm.

I don't actually mind flower girl in the least--they'll be dressed closer to my toddler niece to the bridemaids in terms of color and probably style too...it's just that everything I've read shows something like 8 and up being too old for that.

It's the "Junior" party I'm reticent to use...I don't know, it sounds like a sports team line-up, you know? It's JUST me and I don't mean to disparage others' use of it...it just sounds hokey to me.

It's really just a silly semantic thing, their duties (such as they are) won't change one bit.

I'll keep pondering. I really appreciate the thoughts!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to reply to myself.

I''m starting to like the idea of not differentiating ANYONE by title except for MOH/BM. Everyone is going to call the bridesmaids and groomsmen what they are. People will probably call FI''s groomsgals bridesmaids too.

I mean--if I''m going to get all silly and semantic, then my niece won''t REALLY be a flower girl: our church won''t let us scatter petals. (She''ll probably have a pomander or little basket.) Nephews won''t REALLY be the ring-bearers...they won''t bear the real rings, and I''d rather not do decoys. I did read about a cute Celtic tradition where little pages come up the aisle ringing bells and calling, "The bride is coming, the bride is coming!" which I find totally adorable and ridiculous.

So...maybe this is much ado about I should find something else to worry about. Like, I don''t know, packing us both to go out of town for two weeks so I can meet said non-junior-bridesmaids for the first time!

thanks ladies--would love any other insight.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 12:26:04 PM
Author: wannaBMrsH
Date: 7/31/2009 8:14:49 AM

Author: thing2of2

I agree, If it''s the junior part that bothers you, just name them regular bridesmaids...

Thritto. Although, I don''t get too caught up in titles so this sort of thing wouldn''t bother me, anyway.

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
i agree on calling them bridesmaids too (sorry I haven''t figured out how to copy someone''s post in my post to say ditto to!). It''d make her feel more grown up.

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
Agree with everything said about Junior Bridesmaids above. I was one when I was 13 and I thought it was cool.

But if you want to have something else, what about keeping the MOH and Bridesmaids titles and adding "Bridal Attendants" or "Bride''s Attendants" for the younger gals?

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
I had the same problem, my fiance has three nieces(2, 6, 8) and I have two younger cousins that I''m close with (8,10) the two year old will be three so perfect flower girl age, but the older girls are just too big to be flower girls. I didn''t want to hurt their feelings by not having them in the wedding, and they are just too young to wear jr. bridesmaid dresses. So we decided to give them their own responsibility and made them "bubble girls" the four older girls are wearing matching dresses that are the wedding colors and they will have baskets filled with bubbles to give out to guests. They love their job and are already practicing...so far its going well!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
My daughter will be 9 nearly 10 when we get married and she is busting to be my flower girl. Yes she will be too big to be a flower girl but i don''t think too old. I''m not ready to turn her into a bridesmaid yet!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results