shape
carat
color
clarity

If you moved recently..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
how long did it take you to finish unpacking?
6.gif
6.gif
The only moving I''ve done prior to this was from a rental home to our actual home when I was like 3..and then to college and to our old apartment (but that doesn''t really count since 80% of my stuff was still at my parent''s house). So needless to say this is my first move..and it feels like it''s taking forever to unpack! Is this normal?
14.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um, we moved 1.5 years ago and still have boxes. Plus we got the moving itch again recently, so we may never fully unpack in this apartment
3.gif

To be fair, it''s a 500 sf apt. for two people, with only two closets, so... fitting all our stuff is quite a chore!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
5.gif
Okay I feel a bit better now, but I totally understand not unpacking some of it. We''re going to go through the boxes, but some of our books are staying in boxes. I am thinking 3 bookcases will not be enough..
40.gif
I praise y''all for fitting everything though!!! And oooh keep us updated if/when you find a new place!
31.gif

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm let''s see... we moved in February so that was over 5 months ago....

I''ll let you know when we finish
9.gif

It just seems like it''ll never end! We haven''t even bought all the furniture yet (I was so consumed with school and DH has been so busy at work the last few months) so we''re just now trying to complete the furniture in our apartment. And as for the rest of the stuff? We''re hoping once we have the furniture all in we can find a permanent home for everything. I can''t wait to hang pictures up but I feel like I need to wait for the bookcases/desk/etc to be in before I know where I want to hang everything.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 10:04:40 PM
Author: Lilac
Hmm let's see... we moved in February so that was over 5 months ago....

I'll let you know when we finish
9.gif

It just seems like it'll never end! We haven't even bought all the furniture yet (I was so consumed with school and DH has been so busy at work the last few months) so we're just now trying to complete the furniture in our apartment. And as for the rest of the stuff? We're hoping once we have the furniture all in we can find a permanent home for everything. I can't wait to hang pictures up but I feel like I need to wait for the bookcases/desk/etc to be in before I know where I want to hang everything.

Yes! I am so feeling you especially on the furniture part because we still need to get the rest of our bookcases...and we need to hang pictures. We did get drapes hung in 2/3 rooms so far. That's a step, right? There's blinds in the other room, but no drapes. We also need to frame our diplomas..his is still in the tube 2 years later.
20.gif
And mine is sitting in the university registrar's office..need to pick that up A.S.A.P! P.S. I think I commented on your pics thread, but not sure so one more time your photos were beautiful!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 10:27:35 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS

9.gif

It just seems like it''ll never end! We haven''t even bought all the furniture yet (I was so consumed with school and DH has been so busy at work the last few months) so we''re just now trying to complete the furniture in our apartment. And as for the rest of the stuff? We''re hoping once we have the furniture all in we can find a permanent home for everything. I can''t wait to hang pictures up but I feel like I need to wait for the bookcases/desk/etc to be in before I know where I want to hang everything.

Yes! I am so feeling you especially on the furniture part because we still need to get the rest of our bookcases...and we need to hang pictures. We did get drapes hung in 2/3 rooms so far. That''s a step, right? There''s blinds in the other room, but no drapes. We also need to frame our diplomas..his is still in the tube 2 years later.
20.gif
And mine is sitting in the university registrar''s office..need to pick that up A.S.A.P! P.S. I think I commented on your pics thread, but not sure so one more time your photos were beautiful!

Thanks so much!

And about the furniture - that bothers me a lot, but I think I would feel MUCH better if I had some pictures up! I feel like that will make it feel so much more like our home.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 11:26:55 PM
Thanks so much!

And about the furniture - that bothers me a lot, but I think I would feel MUCH better if I had some pictures up! I feel like that will make it feel so much more like our home.

I agree! I also want to be able to entertain. One of my girlfriends came over today for like 10 minutes and I had to speed clean to even make it look decent (read: move all the unpacked boxes into the guest bedroom and close guest bedroom door). Sigh. Just trying to be patient!
2.gif

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 11:30:53 PM

Thanks so much!

I agree! I also want to be able to entertain. One of my girlfriends came over today for like 10 minutes and I had to speed clean to even make it look decent (read: move all the unpacked boxes into the guest bedroom and close guest bedroom door). Sigh. Just trying to be patient!
2.gif

I''m actually entertaining this weekend for the first time (I''m having 6 people plus DH and myself for a "formal" type of dinner - Sabbath Friday night dinner), which is crazy to think about because I''m TOTALLY not ready! So many people have invited us since we moved in and I feel like I need to have them all back quickly because they were so sweet to invite us to them! I''m cooking sooo much food but the one thing I keep thinking about is how much I need to organize and clean to make the apartment look ready for company and just to look NICE in the next few days!

And I totally know what you mean about speed cleaning for people to come over... My parents each came to see our apartment and each time it was sort of a spur of the moment thing (we invited them so we knew they were coming, but it was last minute) so we spent about 15 minutes each time RUSHING trying to organize everything as quickly as possible (which is difficult when things are still packed and there''s nowhere to put all the boxes!)

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
I'm STILL trying to adjust to being in this new space and I've been here since mid-June. Granted: I took most of the beginning of June to pack up all my stuff at my old apartment and bring it here. Then finally move in. Then I took the remainder of June to take care of wedding stuff. Then I had my wedding July 3 and then just came back from our honeymoon July 12. THEN I managed to come down with the flu that I'm STILL battling....

So, yeah...I'm still not totally unpacked or even situated. And DH still has a ton of his stuff in his old apt (his (old) roommate hasn't gotten a new one yet, so he's cool with that. Plus, it's DHs huge flat-screen tv that's still over there...so he can't complain too loudly ;-) ). He didn't 'move in' until after we were married. (Which basically means, he didn't sleep over, but he was here whenever he wasn't sleeping or at work ;-) ).

We're in a funny stage, too, in that we don't have all of our furniture and stuff either. I mean, we do have quite a bit, but like, we went from me living in an 700 sq ft apt (at MOST) and him sharing that same amt of space with someone else...to a 1700 sq ft place!! To us, that's just insane! We have SO MUCH space and don't have enough to fill it up with! (Not that I'm saying EVERY inch needs to be filled up ;-) ) It was just so funny to see ALL these boxes packed in my apartment's kitchen taking up ALL the space, then bring them over to our new place, and they take up like a CORNER of the basement. LOL!!

And I hear you guys on hanging pictures and everything. I sort of feel like I can't do that until we've designated a 'use' for every space. I mean, right now, our dining room is just 'box city' between stuff from the move and wedding gifts. And the spare room has become "MY" room (because of the flu, I've been quarantined...LOL), and OUR bedroom is still a sad state because our bed ended up getting back-ordered and will FINALLY be here this Thursday. So we've had our boxspring and mattress on the floor. And then we don't have a dresser yet that we can share. I still have my old one from my apt, but it's in the spare room and still jam-packed with clothes that I don't necessarily use, but just wanted to get MOVED from the old place. Even our DECK is suffering!! We only have 3 chairs out there, but the sun gets so BRUTAL in the afternoons/evenings, that we have to get an umbrella for the table that we have....and that table is still at his old apartment! LOL So, needless to say, NOTHING feels 'comfortable' yet.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We moved in on June 1st, and I had to leave for Greece on June 5th, so I finished all unpacking our entire kitchen and all of my things in those four days. I don''t have a lot of stuff, though, in general. Three quarters of my boxes were books, and those are easy to unpack.

I''ll let you know when DH finishes unpacking his things. Thank goodness he has an entire spare bedroom to himself.

(And when I say June 1st, I''m talking about 2008--we''ve been here for over a year! Everyone moves at their own pace, I guess.)

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
FI and I moved in together in October, and it took about 1 12 hour days to unpack all of the essentials (toiletries, linens, non-perishables, kitchen items, etc). It probably took 3 full weekends to find a place for everything, though. But, we do still have a box or two laying around.
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock

9.gif
Whistle2.gif

We moved in Feb too. We''re unpacked.... honest.... just don''t look in the storage closet....
9.gif

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
We''re still unpacking... We bought the house in late march, did renovations, moved in late june and are still getting everything sorted and situated. it''s taking us forever because we''re also doing our giant purging of unecessary items at the same time, so it''s taking us forever to go through everything.

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
We moved a week and a half ago and most everything is in it''s place that we need right now. Kitchen, bedroom, office, living room, bathroom... But, we have a HUGE attic, so what I didn''t want to deal with is up there right now!
2.gif

We''ll be bringing over all the shower gifts and wedding gifts to unpack and put away, which will require additional organizing and more stuff to store in the attic. But, I''m so excited to get all my new stuff! It''s been held hostage at MIL''s house because we couldn''t use it until we were married.... the good thing is that it will be like new gifts all over again!

For me, moving into a house instead of our apartment made a big difference as far as feeling "married". Anyone else?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
How long is one considered a newlywed? We''re a year out as of July 12th.

My husband and I just moved to NC from New England (he moved in May and I came down in June). We still haven''t unpacked much because we''re moving again in mid-August to a bigger apartment. Our goal is to put most things in the garage of our new place and only take the essential things into the apartment. We''re going to try to stick to that and see if we can live in a fairly clutter-free environment. I''m hoping it doesn''t take too long to unpack if we tick to our guns.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 9:13:16 AM
Author: ZoeBartlett
How long is one considered a newlywed? We''re a year out as of July 12th.

My husband and I just moved to NC from New England (he moved in May and I came down in June). We still haven''t unpacked much because we''re moving again in mid-August to a bigger apartment. Our goal is to put most things in the garage of our new place and only take the essential things into the apartment. We''re going to try to stick to that and see if we can live in a fairly clutter-free environment. I''m hoping it doesn''t take too long to unpack if we tick to our guns.
I asked the same thing in the new forum thread. I think the general consensus is as long as you want. LOL! (3 years for me August). I like it here. It''s a better fit than some of the other forums.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 9:07:49 AM
Author: sweetjettagirl04
We moved a week and a half ago and most everything is in it''s place that we need right now. Kitchen, bedroom, office, living room, bathroom... But, we have a HUGE attic, so what I didn''t want to deal with is up there right now!
2.gif

We''ll be bringing over all the shower gifts and wedding gifts to unpack and put away, which will require additional organizing and more stuff to store in the attic. But, I''m so excited to get all my new stuff! It''s been held hostage at MIL''s house because we couldn''t use it until we were married.... the good thing is that it will be like new gifts all over again!

For me, moving into a house instead of our apartment made a big difference as far as feeling ''married''. Anyone else?

The house is a HUGE thing for me. After we were married, I moved out of my apartment and we lived in his 1 BR apartment until the closing on the house. The house feels permanent - we can paint, decorate, rip out floors, countertops, do anything we want. And we don''t lose a security deposit! Not to mention the SPACE is amazing. We went from 780 sf in the apartment to over 2400 in our house.

And amazingly, we''re already feeling like we''re filling up the house.

Where did that stuff come from??

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh this topic makes me feel so much better! We''ve been in the moving-in process now for about a month now. We were doing pretty well, but then we got wedding presents! So now it looks like we''ve done absolutely nothing. I would really like to be finished soon so we can start thinking about buying furniture. It''s too hard right now! I think the biggest problem is that my husband and I didn''t live together before, so we''re trying to figure out what to get rid of, and how to share our space.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I moved in with DH two years ago and I still have boxes in the basement. Most of the stuff is either books or things we have duplicates of like pots and pans, etc, so there hasn''t been a huge need to unpack them. Our office (where they are) is now an even bigger mess because we replaced the hot water heater which is in there a few months ago and we still have the tools etc scattered all over the room. Hmmm...maybe that will be a project for this weekend.... We have a 1600 sq ft house (3200 if you count our finished basement) and it''s filled to the gills. We had a yard sale earlier this year which helped us get rid of a lot of stuff (a lot of stuff from those boxes too!) but DH is such a packrat...

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I moved to his apartment a year ago. Since the apartment had furniture already, i just brought my TV
3.gif
, DH is not a fan of TV
38.gif
. I still have my books in a box, there is not any empty space to put them on the bookcases
39.gif
. We had been buying some new furniture, but we had not bought the bookcases yet.
41.gif
Still waiting
12.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 11:36:25 PM
Date: 7/20/2009 11:30:53 PM

Thanks so much!

2.gif

I''m actually entertaining this weekend for the first time (I''m having 6 people plus DH and myself for a ''formal'' type of dinner - Sabbath Friday night dinner), which is crazy to think about because I''m TOTALLY not ready! So many people have invited us since we moved in and I feel like I need to have them all back quickly because they were so sweet to invite us to them! I''m cooking sooo much food but the one thing I keep thinking about is how much I need to organize and clean to make the apartment look ready for company and just to look NICE in the next few days!

And I totally know what you mean about speed cleaning for people to come over... My parents each came to see our apartment and each time it was sort of a spur of the moment thing (we invited them so we knew they were coming, but it was last minute) so we spent about 15 minutes each time RUSHING trying to organize everything as quickly as possible (which is difficult when things are still packed and there''s nowhere to put all the boxes!)

Just wanted to say hope your planning is going well for the weekend and tell you we finally got those diplomas framed!! We had a diploma framing party yesterday.
9.gif
So yay one thing down!
12.gif

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
I moved in with now DH 3 years ago. I finished unpacking the stuff not in storage last month.
3.gif

julabean

Shiny_Rock
We moved 3 months ago into our new house. We still have two or three boxes of stuff that moved with us we haven''t unpacked, but I probably have about 15 boxes of stuff from my parents'' house that they have been moving into my house we haven''t gone through! And let''s not talk about the garage. :)

honey22

Ideal_Rock
We still have boxes in our spare rooms from four and a half year ago, so I reckon some things you will never unpack!
40.gif

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I''m still getting everything "set"...my bedroom furniture for our guest room is still at my parent''s house. Thank GOD we have a basement, I have no idea what I would do with some stuff!

I feel like I will never be done, but I am really hoping I will be done unpacking and setting everything up before 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results