shape
carat
color
clarity

Nesting Decorating Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I thought it''d be fun to share ideas and photos if you''re decorating your new place or revamping the same place! This might be better for the home section usually, but I wanted to target it at people that are either moving in together/combing their things or just revamping things after getting married.

vintagecushion

Shiny_Rock
Yay! Is this a new subforum?

This is a great topic, SaraLovesJS. I''m somewhere between revamping and combining. My husband and I lived together for a very short time before getting married and last month we finally brought all our things out of storage and into our tiny, tiny apartment. To those combining households, how much did you have to throw away? And how can I convince my husband that he doesn''t need to keep all his cds (I mean, itunes!)??

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Yep, a new subform!!
36.gif
Same here..we moved to a new place and it''s actually bigger BUT I have more stuff now. So it''s not THAT much bigger, lol. I still have soooo much to throw away/donate it seems like. We already donated 3 boxes to Goodwill and I have 4 more bags of clothes to wash and donate..I realized I need to donate some of my clothes, too. I didn''t know I had so many clothes!
6.gif
I am seriously trying to declutter. Hmm..as for the CDs I say load them on the computer and a portable hard drive (Walmart has a great one on sale for $60..I paid $200 for it a few years ago) and then sell them on ebay as a lot, donate them, or freecycle them. Maybe the money/ebay option could entice him to part with them?
31.gif

vintagecushion

Shiny_Rock
Oh Sarah, you would think the portable hard drive and then goodbye cds would make the most sense. But when I suggested it he looked at me like I tried to throw out family photos! Of course this is a guy who collects albums.

So how did you decide what gets to stay and what has to go?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 6:50:08 PM
Author: vintagecushion
To those combining households, how much did you have to throw away? And how can I convince my husband that he doesn't need to keep all his cds (I mean, itunes!)??
A lot, but that's a good thing... I'd really rather live a more spartan lifestyle than comes naturally to me. We cut our wardrobes nearly in half (mine a lot more than his), and got rid of a lot of random stuff we were holding on to for no reason at all (old college notebooks?? um, buh-bye). Books and DVDs are still in the process of being cut down, too. We recently discovered a goodwill donation center SUPER close to our apartment, and the guy there is my new best friend
9.gif
lol!

Date: 7/20/2009 7:11:09 PM
So how did you decide what gets to stay and what has to go?
Getting rid of things = not worth an argument. If someone's attached enough to be genuinely sad over the thought of letting it go, it stays. We'll have more space someday and if holding on to special things means being a little cramped, it's okay - it's worth it.

vintagecushion

Shiny_Rock
Musey, I'm with you on the spartan thing. I am a minimalist at heart and love some unfilled space. My husband, on the other hand, is not exactly a hoarder but uh...sentimental. I liked what you said about it being worth it to hold onto special things because there will be more space later (oh when?) and will keep it in mind.

Of course, I suspect that my minimalism is a cover for my secret messiness. When you have fewer things the house always looks nice even when it's in disarray and I'm hopelessly messy--not dirty!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I envy you ladies who can get rid of the stuff they don''t need. I am, for some reason, totally unable to ever throw anything away. I''m such a packrat! I feel panicked when I see DH throw junk mail away. I''m super messy, too, which is bad news.

I know I''ll have to throw a bunch of stuff away when DH and I finally move into our "real house," but we still have to find and buy said house, so I''m keeping all my clothes, shoes, old papers, stuffed animals, 1240980953 pictures, old cards, etc., for the time being.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 7:51:29 PM
Author: kittybean
I envy you ladies who can get rid of the stuff they don''t need. I am, for some reason, totally unable to ever throw anything away. I''m such a packrat! I feel panicked when I see DH throw junk mail away. I''m super messy, too, which is bad news.

I know I''ll have to throw a bunch of stuff away when DH and I finally move into our ''real house,'' but we still have to find and buy said house, so I''m keeping all my clothes, shoes, old papers, stuffed animals, 1240980953 pictures, old cards, etc., for the time being.

KB believe me it is HARD for me, too! Not the junk mail so much
12.gif
, but everything else. I am so sentimental even on stupid little things like movie tickets, football game tickets, etc. I am working hard to try to get rid of some of it..it''s the memories that matter, right? The BIG thing for me to get rid of is going to be the stuffed animals. Going to be SO hard!!!
15.gif
39.gif
So many of them have memories attached and were given to me by people who passed away, etc. But I am telling myself some kid out there really wants/needs them, you know? We''ll be each other''s decluttering support group, lol.
19.gif
Hey are we anniversary twins now?
9.gif

And vintage sorry my ideas didn''t work, lol. Musey is right though not worth the argument. I asked DH to cut down some of his books and he looked at me like I asked him to murder someone or something. He did end up cleaning them out on his own though..at least kind of anyway.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 7:51:29 PM
Author: kittybean

I know I''ll have to throw a bunch of stuff away when DH and I finally move into our ''real house,'' but we still have to find and buy said house, so I''m keeping all my clothes, shoes, old papers, stuffed animals, 1240980953 pictures, old cards, etc., for the time being.

KB--Repeat after me: "When in doubt, throw it out!"

It works. Of course, "donate it" is more like it, but it doesn''t rhyme. :)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 2:38:31 AM
Author: Haven

KB--Repeat after me: ''When in doubt, throw it out!''

It works. Of course, ''donate it'' is more like it, but it doesn''t rhyme. :)
ROFL - it''s good advice. I''m stull training DH that he doesn''t HAVE to keep EVERYTHING. We''ll get there. Here are some pics from our new apt (moved in Feb). Here''s the full saga: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-best-part-about-moving-to-a-new-apartment-new-stuff.105333/page-3

I HATE the white walls, but we''re not going to be here long enough to make painting worth the effort.

Bedroom:

gdbed1.jpg

gddressers.jpg

Master Bath:

gdmasbath.jpg

Kitchen:

gdkitchen1.jpg

gdkitckenmartha.jpg

Office/Gamer Haven:

gdoffice1.jpg

gdoffice2.jpg

Living Room:

gdlivingroom1.jpg

gdlivingroom2.jpg

livingroomgd3.jpg

Dining Room (getting ready for a party in this pic. We don''t keep gobs of chips there all the time).

gddining.jpg

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
We combined two apartments in our new house, and after years of college and living alone, we had duplicates of nearly everything. He''s fine with throwing things out. I, on the other hand, am oddly sentimental about a lot of things. I have lots of (ahem, useless) presents from over the years and I figure if I can still remember the giver and the occasion, I should keep it - what if Great Aunt Nellie asks me where my elephant candlestick is?! What works for me is when I get really overwhelmed with the clutter, I know I have to do something. I''ll open a bottle of wine and just dive in. It''s amazing how much less sentimental you get when you''re... relaxed.

I have yet to miss anything I''ve thrown away/given away that way. It just lets me get detached just enough to be able to sort out what I will really miss if it''s gone versus what I''m keeping around just because I don''t want to hurt someones feelings if they ever ask where it is (15 years after I got it in the first place!)

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
gecko - that''s a lot of clocks! I really like that look! are they set at specific times or just whatever they happen to be on at the time? :)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 8:56:01 AM
Author: cammy85
gecko - that''s a lot of clocks! I really like that look! are they set at specific times or just whatever they happen to be on at the time? :)
The big one is set to local time. The rest of them are off. I had them all set to fun times when I first put them up... and the constant multiple clocks ticking drove me slightly crazy!

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 9:16:47 AM
Author: geckodani

The big one is set to local time. The rest of them are off. I had them all set to fun times when I first put them up... and the constant multiple clocks ticking drove me slightly crazy!

I didn''t even think of that. I now picture my grandparents'' house where they had all the chiming clocks set for every 15 minutes and each one was off by a couple seconds. The clocks would be ticking and chiming all day!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 9:19:27 AM

Date: 7/21/2009 9:16:47 AM

I didn''t even think of that. I now picture my grandparents'' house where they had all the chiming clocks set for every 15 minutes and each one was off by a couple seconds. The clocks would be ticking and chiming all day!
Hee hee.

I get my clocks.

He gets his swords. Compromise is a good thing.
9.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 9:24:10 AM
Hee hee.

I get my clocks.

9.gif

I''m going to have to remind myself of this when I want to plaster our office with all New England sports stuff- Red Sox and Patriots mostly. DH is from Philly and we clearly follow different teams. I just know that I am the one that is more likely to go out and purchase or make stuff to put up relating to my teams.

I like the clocks too! Neat decorating idea. I''ve never seen that before.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Since we have owned our house for a year (married a month) we now finally feel comfortable dropping some money on nicer furniture. Our bedroom is next! At the moment I have my super low to the ground IKEA bed with an oak veneer, a hand-me-down IKEA tall and skinny dresser (sort of a useless dimension of you ask me) with a fake wood look coating on it, a hand-me-down little chest that doubles as my night stand (probably will keep this though), and a cheesy unfinished pine IKEA nigh stand for DH.

We recently bought some tall black-brown bookcases for our office and we both like the dark look. Its not full out black and there is enough contrast to see the wood grain. Its from IKEA again but its certainly nicer than most of their assemble-it-yourself furniture. We have talked about upgrading our bedroom furniture to a dark wood as well. The room itself is bright and open- 17''x11'' with 2 HUGE windows in the front and 2 regular sized ones on the side (shaded by trees though, no light coming from there). The wall color is a pale green. I think dark wood furniture, of the right style, will look nice in there. Much better than the "we just finished college and couldn''t afford nicer stuff" look we have going on now. I have nice bedding and I would love to have a nice bed to accent it.

The last piece I am looking forward to upgrading is our dining room table and chairs. The one we have now is a nicely maintained hand-me-down from his parents. They ate from it for many years. It is sturdy, plenty big for 6 people, and in great condition. Its just not my style. Almost every dining room table I have every drooled over has either been in Pottery Barn or William Sonoma Home (pretty much the same store, right?). I have recovered the chairs though. Before they were this sorta nasty tweed that was sort of gooey from years of use and now they are a pretty blue upholstery fabric that I found in the remnants pile at JoAnn''s. Cost me less then $3 a chair to recover! They really changed the look of the set.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 11:58:38 AM
Author: Clairitek

Date: 7/21/2009 9:24:10 AM
Hee hee.

I get my clocks.

9.gif

I''m going to have to remind myself of this when I want to plaster our office with all New England sports stuff- Red Sox and Patriots mostly. DH is from Philly and we clearly follow different teams. I just know that I am the one that is more likely to go out and purchase or make stuff to put up relating to my teams.

I like the clocks too! Neat decorating idea. I''ve never seen that before.
Thanks. I can never get them 100% where I want them, LOL.

Maybe you can have one wall to cover with your Red Sox stuff and you DH can have another? Separate rooms? LOL

My Mom has designated the entire upstairs as my Step-Tom''s area to paper with Red Wings stuff. She objects when it starts to spill downstairs.
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 12:07:27 PM
Since we have owned our house for a year (married a month) we now finally feel comfortable dropping some money on nicer furniture. Our bedroom is next! At the moment I have my super low to the ground IKEA bed with an oak veneer, a hand-me-down IKEA tall and skinny dresser (sort of a useless dimension of you ask me) with a fake wood look coating on it, a hand-me-down little chest that doubles as my night stand (probably will keep this though), and a cheesy unfinished pine IKEA nigh stand for DH.

We recently bought some tall black-brown bookcases for our office and we both like the dark look. Its not full out black and there is enough contrast to see the wood grain. Its from IKEA again but its certainly nicer than most of their assemble-it-yourself furniture. We have talked about upgrading our bedroom furniture to a dark wood as well. The room itself is bright and open- 17'x11' with 2 HUGE windows in the front and 2 regular sized ones on the side (shaded by trees though, no light coming from there). The wall color is a pale green. I think dark wood furniture, of the right style, will look nice in there. Much better than the 'we just finished college and couldn't afford nicer stuff' look we have going on now. I have nice bedding and I would love to have a nice bed to accent it.
All of the dark bedroom furniture in my pics is the IKEA Malm line in the Black-Brown. Our desks and the bookshelf in the office are IKEA too, in the black brown.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha! Geckodani, we have a lot of the same stuff in our apartments! Including, but not limited to, swords on the walls and WoW desktop wallpapers.
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 12:34:46 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Ha! Geckodani, we have a lot of the same stuff in our apartments! Including, but not limited to, swords on the walls and WoW desktop wallpapers.
9.gif
ROFL - It's Warhammer, and soon to be Aion, but close enough.
2.gif

ETA: I was out of town a few weeks back, and one of our friends and her 2 year old came over. The first thing I asked Adam was if he'd moved the axe off the floor.
20.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 12:14:19 PM
Date: 7/21/2009 12:07:27 PM

We recently bought some tall black-brown bookcases for our office and we both like the dark look. Its not full out black and there is enough contrast to see the wood grain. Its from IKEA again but its certainly nicer than most of their assemble-it-yourself furniture. We have talked about upgrading our bedroom furniture to a dark wood as well. The room itself is bright and open- 17''x11'' with 2 HUGE windows in the front and 2 regular sized ones on the side (shaded by trees though, no light coming from there). The wall color is a pale green. I think dark wood furniture, of the right style, will look nice in there. Much better than the ''we just finished college and couldn''t afford nicer stuff'' look we have going on now. I have nice bedding and I would love to have a nice bed to accent it.

All of the dark bedroom furniture in my pics is the IKEA Malm line in the Black-Brown. Our desks and the bookshelf in the office are IKEA too, in the black brown.

Ah, I recognize those dressers! The tall skinny one I have is also Malm but its an awkward size and shape for our room. I would love to have a little more surface area to put out my jewelry box and toiletries I keep in the room. I have the Malm bed right now. Yours doesn''t look like the Malm. Is it and you just got a new headboard? It also looks higher than my bed. The thing I like the least about it is the fact that its about 6" off of the ground. Makes me feel old when it hurts to get out of bed in the morning!

Can you guys believe that we lived in our house for a YEAR before having a mirror bigger than the one on the bathroom medicine cabinet? I used to have to stand on the edge of the tub, gripping the shower curtain rod overhead, to get a look at myself past my chest!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 1:47:36 PM

Date: 7/21/2009 12:14:19 PM

Ah, I recognize those dressers! The tall skinny one I have is also Malm but its an awkward size and shape for our room. I would love to have a little more surface area to put out my jewelry box and toiletries I keep in the room. I have the Malm bed right now. Yours doesn''t look like the Malm. Is it and you just got a new headboard? It also looks higher than my bed. The thing I like the least about it is the fact that its about 6'' off of the ground. Makes me feel old when it hurts to get out of bed in the morning!

Can you guys believe that we lived in our house for a YEAR before having a mirror bigger than the one on the bathroom medicine cabinet? I used to have to stand on the edge of the tub, gripping the shower curtain rod overhead, to get a look at myself past my chest!
The bed is just a normal mattress and box spring - we made the headboard. And it''s funny, because I would LOVE to have the lower bed, LOL!

Too funny on the mirror!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I moved to his apartment when we got married, a year ago, and this may we moved to our first place together.
36.gif
36.gif
I loved it, we don''t have so many things yet, but we are getting new stuff every month. We need a dinner table very badly since for the last 2 month we had been eating in the living room
37.gif

vintagecushion

Shiny_Rock
Things I'm learning from this thread so far:

Everyone's got a Malm dresser somewhere.
Most couples = neat person and one hoarder.
And Geckodani, your place looks so FINISHED! Envy!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 3:42:30 PM
Things I''m learning from this thread so far:

Everyone''s got a Malm dresser somewhere.
Thank you! Now if only I could keep it clean, LOL!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 3:42:30 PM
Things I''m learning from this thread so far:

Everyone''s got a Malm dresser somewhere.

Yup! I agree with you. Malms all around! DH is the neat one... or so he thinks! I think we both have strengths and weakneses when it comes to house stuff.

For example, he is good at getting his dishes into the dishwasher immediately. While I normally put them in the sink and then eventually into the dishwasher. However, he STINKS at putting the bathmat up to dry after a shower! We have the TINIEST bathroom and you can''t go in there to use the sink or toilet without stepping on the bathmat. Personally, I want a clean bathmat (as clean as it can be) for when I step out of the shower. He just doesn''t seem to care if there is dirt all over it from our shoes and the cats.
33.gif

But I digress... back to nest decorating.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Geckodani I love your place, especially the nerd touches!! I will post some pics soon hopefully..want to get some finishing touches this weekend.
1.gif
That's the goal anyway...
17.gif

ETA: P.S. DH is lacking in the nerd gear..he really wants the "Pally in the Bubble" that they sell for WoW at BlizzCon. I don't how to explain that that won't fit with decor. Also we LOOOVE IKEA..I just discovered it and we got our TV stand there. Maybe I can post some pics this weekend of that at least. We want to get the matching bookcases.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gecko -- I love your pictures! You''ve posted them before, haven''t you? I feel like I''ve seen them before.

As far as figuring out what goes and what stays, we have a plan. My husband and I just moved to a new state recently and we''re moving again (to a bigger condo) in a few weeks. We have the bare minimum here with us in this tiny apartment and the rest of our things are in storage. When we move, we''re putting everything from our storage unit into the new garage and only the things that we have with us now will be allowed in the new place until we absolutely need them. We''re hoping that it helps us live a somewhat more spartan lifestyle.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2009 8:11:28 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
Gecko -- I love your pictures! You''ve posted them before, haven''t you? I feel like I''ve seen them before.

As far as figuring out what goes and what stays, we have a plan. My husband and I just moved to a new state recently and we''re moving again (to a bigger condo) in a few weeks. We have the bare minimum here with us in this tiny apartment and the rest of our things are in storage. When we move, we''re putting everything from our storage unit into the new garage and only the things that we have with us now will be allowed in the new place until we absolutely need them. We''re hoping that it helps us live a somewhat more spartan lifestyle.
Yes, I posted them over in shopping (I linked to the thread in the post).
5.gif

SarahLovesJS: Thanks for the compliment! Nerd gear is fun... to a point. I try to keep it to things that are reasonably decorative.
41.gif

Thanks for all the love for the nerddom.
9.gif

Now what happens when you''re both packrats?
39.gif
I love it clean... but soon give up because DH manages to clutter it up so freaking fast!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results