shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this ruby ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I''ve been looking for a ruby ring. I was wondering what people think of this one. I found it on Etsy.

14K WHITE GOLD, 5.02CTW CUSHION RUBY WITH ROUND CUT DIAMONDS, ART-DECO PRONG & PAVE SET STYLE RING!!!
A STUNNING DESIGN, WITH A BEAUTIFUL TOP QUALITY FINE NATURAL CUSHION SHAPED FACETED CUT RUBY WITH SUPERB LUSTER COLOR AND LIFE. THIS BEAUTIFUL & HUGE (JUST LOOK AT THE PICS) 4.67 CT CUSHION CUT RUBY IS SET ON A HIGHLY DETAILED FILIGREE SETTING!

Total weight is 5.02ct.

DIAMONDS SPECIFICATIONS

Metal : 14K White Gold
Center Stone Weight: 4.67CT
Center Stone Shape: Cushion Center Stone Clarity: Clean
Center Stone Color: Red
Side Stones Weight: 0.35CT
Side Stone Shape: Round
Side Stone Clarity: VS2/SI1
Side Stone Color: G/H
Certificate/Appraisal: Included
Retail Appraisal Value:
$6,500.00

Doesn''t this seem inexpensive for a 4.67 CT ruby? I''m looking to spend around $3,000.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19533311

On the fourth pic on the Etsy listing the stone looks a little dark. Thoughts?

il_430xN.52244342.jpg

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Another:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19485722

Both are about $1600

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Seems like one of those "too good to be true"

I am not sure about the color, it seems like of flat. I am wondering if it was a heavily treated stone. If I were to get a stone like that, I would get an independent appraisal during the period I could return it.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I suspect some pretty heavy treatment. Note that while there is a line saying that the diamonds are not enhanced, there is nothing about the central stone.

By the way, $65 to ship to Canada?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks photoshopped to me, and not a in a good way.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yah, I was thinking the exact same thing. Do you know a good place to buy loose rubies? Or good quality ruby rings?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, while the ring is beautiful, I suspect that the ruby is heavily treated as well. Do you mind the treatments? A fine top colour natural untreated ruby in this size would easily carry a 7 digit price tag.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/11/2009 3:57:28 PM
Author: simplysplendid
Hello, while the ring is beautiful, I suspect that the ruby is heavily treated as well. Do you mind the treatments? A natural untreated ruby of this size would easily carry a 7 digit price tag.

Agreed. I would prefer that it was not treated, but it doesn''t really matter that much to me. I don''t need that big of a ruby either, I just thought the setting was very pretty. 1-2CT would be beautiful. I''ve been looking at the natural sapphire company. They have a pretty selection of rubies.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I would accept low heat for a ruby, but nothing more than that. I have a feeling this ruby got a lot more than just low heat.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree with everyone else - for that $ I''m pretty sure that''s a heavily treated stone. The other thing to watch out for is lead or glass filling - unfortunately quite common now.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2009 4:16:40 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I would agree with everyone else - for that $ I'm pretty sure that's a heavily treated stone. The other thing to watch out for is lead or glass filling - unfortunately quite common now.
Agreed!! I would never buy a ruby for any significant cost without a major gem lab certification which also indicates the type of treatment.

Large lead glass filled rubies are all over ebay for next to nothing. In fact, I bought one on ebay for around $10 (the treatment was disclosed). I wanted to see how it looked out of curiosity. I was floored at how clean and what a nice red it was. Had it not been treated, I would have set it in a piece of jewelry. These treatements are very disturbing and can make a gem look like it's worth several thousands. Buyer beware!!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
absolutely TL, and they chip and crack easy. i went to the local gem and mineral show and a seller was pushing what he called "glass" filled rubies that looked great, but under the microscope the tell was told. scary what they think they can get away with.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
May be photoshopped to add a reddish due or may be clicked under yellowish light.
It is not very clear one to me and surely heat treated-those natural blood red Rubies are rare now.Yesterday I searched for it to many dealers(at Kolkata,India),many of them export to your country,sadly,they could not gave me such.One young man (I know him personally),showed me a red one,like yours,but round,mentioning it is heavily treated-under magnification gas bubbles were readily visible.Be careful.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The price is about right for high temperature heat treated corundum diffused with the light element beryllium to create the (orangey) red hue.

That's a pretty misleading ad, referring to it as "top quality fine natural ruby".

They ought to just sell those things for what they are. They're pretty nice looking actually, and dirt cheap. Why lie about it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Way too cheap and there is no disclosure about treatment on the ruby. Too suspicious for me to bite.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results