shape
carat
color
clarity

I''ve got 4 days to cover a farmer''s tan... any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Okay. Wedding on Sunday (I''m a bridesmaid). Just came to the horrible realization that I have a farmer''s tan, and a spaghetti strap dress....

I''m crazy pale, except for a tanned V at my neck and my forearms.

So. I see my options as:

1. Use bronzer/makeup to try and blend it.
2. Go tanning and hope that I don''t burn, and that it doesn''t just make the darker parts even darker.
3. Fake tanner. This strikes me as a bad idea.

Any suggestions?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
my hairdresser had tan in a can, it was a temp bronzer- similar to makeup - and you sprayed it on like hairspray. It washed off, was temporary, so would only be good for a sunny day. Totally covered up tanlines! I don''t remember the brand though.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 1:45:36 PM
Author: tlh
my hairdresser had tan in a can, it was a temp bronzer- similar to makeup - and you sprayed it on like hairspray. It washed off, was temporary, so would only be good for a sunny day. Totally covered up tanlines! I don''t remember the brand though.
I was looking at the Sally Hansen spray on nylons, LOL, and wondered if they would work on arms/chest.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Don't burn. Point one.

You can't fix the imbalance by Sunday but getting a bit of color on the pale areas will help it look not so bad. Put sunblock on the tan areas and then go tanning today if you can. Be conservative, as there's no way to get all over even color by Sunday and so many ways to mess up.

If it goes OK, I think you could repeat on Friday for a teensy bit more color. Be sure to moisturize and not overdo.

Since you have a farmer's tan, I am assuming your are someone that CAN tan. And also, that you are not one of those people who only gets tan after a burn and peel phase. If that's standard for you, then I think tanning is probably off the table
7.gif

Then you are out of my expertise. If you can find someone skilled and confident in the ways of fake tan or makeup, they might be able to help take you all the way to even color, but I think getting rid of (or at least making some progress on) the ghostly pale part of the contrast will help. At least that would be my goal! Good luck!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 1:47:41 PM
Author: cara
Don't burn. Point one.

You can't fix the imbalance by Sunday but getting a bit of color on the pale areas will help it look not so bad. Put sunblock on the tan areas and then go tanning today if you can. Be conservative, as there's no way to get all over even color by Sunday and so many ways to mess up.

If it goes OK, I think you could repeat on Friday for a teensy bit more color. Be sure to moisturize and not overdo.

Since you have a farmer's tan, I am assuming your are someone that CAN tan. And also, that you are not one of those people who only gets tan after a burn and peel phase. If that's standard for you, then I think tanning is probably off the table
7.gif

Then you are out of my expertise. If you can find someone skilled and confident in the ways of fake tan or makeup, they might be able to help take you all the way to even color, but I think getting rid of (or at least making some progress on) the ghostly pale part of the contrast will help. Good luck!
I am one of those people that can tan, and the last time I peeled it was after a 2nd degree burn, so I'm not too worried about peeling. I think I'll try a quick tan session (I can't do more than 5 minutes or I fry on the first run). I agree that getting the Casper portions a little darker would probably help, LOL. I'll give it a shot and hope for the best I suppose!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you will get very tan with a tanning salon but I think it''s your best shot. Apply SPF to your tan and use a tanning lotion on the rest of your body. These usually run around $5 for sample packets at a tanning salon. You can go every 24 hours. Most of the tanning lotions do have a self bronzing agent in them so in essence you''ll be doing fake tan and tanning at the same time. After that if you still notice a huge difference, I''d try to blend with makeup rather than risk going orange with tan in a can.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
that''s where me and the girls put it...didn''t cover it 100% but it made it 60% better.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
here is a pic... 2 out of the 3 wore it. It didn''t turn me or the bridesmaid orange at all. You can definately still see a tan line, but it isn''t as obvious as the girl who didn''t wear it.

I hope this helps... sorry I don''t have a brand name for you.

tan in a can.JPG

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 1:51:37 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I don''t think you will get very tan with a tanning salon but I think it''s your best shot. Apply SPF to your tan and use a tanning lotion on the rest of your body. These usually run around $5 for sample packets at a tanning salon. You can go every 24 hours. Most of the tanning lotions do have a self bronzing agent in them so in essence you''ll be doing fake tan and tanning at the same time. After that if you still notice a huge difference, I''d try to blend with makeup rather than risk going orange with tan in a can.
I agree with Shiny. Good luck!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 1:51:37 PM
Author: somethingshiny

Luckily it''s not a horrendously huge difference; only a few shades darker. Okay, dumb question about the lotion. How on earth do you spread the lotion evenly on your back? And do you use it on your face?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 1:56:39 PM
Author: tlh
here is a pic... 2 out of the 3 wore it. It didn't turn me or the bridesmaid orange at all. You can definately still see a tan line, but it isn't as obvious as the girl who didn't wear it.

I hope this helps... sorry I don't have a brand name for you.
That does help! I think there is going to be a makeup artist there for the bride - if all else fails I can always ask for help I suppose!

ETA: Did you have problems with it rubbing off on the dresses?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Oh - okay, if I''m tanning, what about regular bed vs high pressure?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Okay, this is the best picture I can find to show what I'm dealing with - my face is paler too because my foundation has SPF in it, LOL. I'm on the left with the funky hair. You can't see the extent of it, because I'm in a T-shirt, but the color difference is about the same as the difference from my face to my chest. Maybe slightly lighter. It's pretty noticeable in the spaghetti straps, because the V is pretty defined.
14.gif

happyladies.jpg

tlh

Ideal_Rock
nope/ me and the girls didn''t... and you would have seen it on the white dress. (And I sweated a lot. DANCING!)

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
Go get a professional spray tan at a salon. It will even out your skin tone and make you glow! You need to exfoliate really well before you go and it lasts for about 4-8 days depending on how moisturized you keep your skin.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 2:22:06 PM
Author: ms.halo
Go get a professional spray tan at a salon. It will even out your skin tone and make you glow! You need to exfoliate really well before you go and it lasts for about 4-8 days depending on how moisturized you keep your skin.
This option frightens me - I''ve seen too many orange people! :razz:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
good luck Dani- do you think you can layout in the sun a bit, cover the your lower self (where you don''t want to tan) with a towel (of course use sunblock as well ) and bake for a little bit? just a thought

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 3:02:05 PM
Author: D&T
good luck Dani- do you think you can layout in the sun a bit, cover the your lower self (where you don''t want to tan) with a towel (of course use sunblock as well ) and bake for a little bit? just a thought
Hee hee - I just watched the clouds roll in... LOL!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2009 3:14:08 PM
Author: geckodani

dang it!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 3:17:34 PM

Date: 7/8/2009 3:14:08 PM

dang it!
Eh, I''ll figure it out.

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 2:25:57 PM

Really? They must have been from a bad/cheap salon. You get what you pay for KWIM?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 2:25:57 PM

This is a good option - get it done one or two days before the wedding so you can "soften" it a bit and not look so orange!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
If you put the tanning lotion on your face, kind of tap it on with the left over product after applying it to the rest of your body. You definitely don''t want your face to get weird, you can always do a full make-up if you have to.

As far as the back. I can reach the top of my back down to my bra going over my shoulder, then I can come up and get the rest. If you are nervous have a friend help you.

The super beds are usually 10 minute beds and have a different percentage of UVA/UVB than a 20 minute bed. Personally, I''ve found that the 20 minute beds (even at a much lower time) tan more than the super beds. The super beds seem to tan deeper and last longer, but for immediate color the 20 minute beds are best for me.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Okay, went for five minutes last night. Can definitely see a softening of the lines, which is good! Going again briefly tonight as well. It's not going to totally get rid of it, but looks like it will at least cut down on the appearance of a giant V of tanned skin, LOL, and I should be able to blend further with makeup.

The dress is a light brown, and actually looks better on the pale skin, which is why I'm trying to be subtle about the whole thing.
14.gif

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results