shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS vs GIA vs EGL Certs - Novice seeking advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CB1106

Rough_Rock
Hi there! I''ve been reading for awhile and I''m a little confused. I noticed that a lot of the diamonds that are discussed here in the forum have AGS certs and sometimes both GIA and AGS.

My boyfriend and I have been looking at diamonds for a few months. We found that most of the GIA certs don''t include the pavillion and crown %''s. How would you know, from that alone, what you are looking at? Is there some way to calculate it out?

This is too confusing!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 12/28/2003 10:00:07 AM CB1106 wrote:

(Hi there! I've been reading for awhile and I'm a little confused. I noticed that a lot of the diamonds that are discussed here in the forum have AGS certs and sometimes both GIA and AGS.)

GIA & AGS are both reliable labs. AGS graded diamonds tend to fetch little more of a premium because in grading they publish the proportions of the stone.

GIA does not list all the measurements, rather the Depth and Table.

My boyfriend and I have been looking at diamonds for a few months. We found that most of the GIA certs don't include the pavillion and crown %'s. How would you know, from that alone, what you are looking at? Is there some way to calculate it out?

This is too confusing!

You can get a sarin report run on your diamond which will list this for you. Some vendors provide this information for you and you should be able to request a report if one is not provided.. Another idea is to have the stone appraised before purchase and the appraiser can run your diamond and also give you an un-biased 2nd paty opinion on your purchase....

----------------

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
---------------------------------------
On 12/28/2003 10:00:07 AM CB1106 wrote: We found that most of the GIA certs don't include the pavilion and crown %'s. How would you know, from that alone, what you are looking at? Is there some way to calculate it out?
---------------------------------------

No GIA certs include these extra measures. And I have no idea whether your seller can provide a Sarin report. But,

I guess you can still ask at least for the crown and pavilion as %: these can be measured (or rather estimated) with far less technology. However, if light return is what you are after, than there may be an even easier way to get a better look at a certain stone. How about getting a H&A viewer and/or Ideal Scope image of the diamond? This can even be a better indication of the optical performance of the stone given that the piece may not fall within H&A parameters at all or the crown/pavilion data may not represent the stone accurately (measurement errors and bias and symmetry defects coming into play).

These being said: yes a Sarin report will provide the most numbers. In my humble opinion, it is safer to rely on direct light return evaluation when judging a certain stone (rather than shifting though lists). What all these tests are? Surely you have seen the endless diamond analysis available on Jonathan's (Good Old Gold) site...
2.gif

Hope this helps a bit... best of luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My opinion is that I would not buy a stone without the angles, or a Sarin....why..when there are so many stones that have them (e.g. AGS certs) or vendors that are willing to get them for you. Shop smart!
1.gif
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results