shape
carat
color
clarity

Best time of year to buy a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jechow

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a .8 to .85 cart diamond (ideal cut,F-G color, VS2-SI1). When is it best to look for a diamond with these characteristics?

1. Best time of the year when there are lots of diamonds of this quality, independent of price?

2. Best time of the year to get the lowest cost, independent of selection?

Thanks

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
October thru Valentine's Day diamond Vendors have their largest inventories. Right now, if you don't find a diamond you are interested in, wait until January. Vendor's have been very busy during the time leading up to Christmas. Inventories are not anything near what they were the first of December.

You might find some "sale" pricing between Christmas and New Year's. All businesses need to reduce inventory for tax purposes. Generally speaking tho, the best time to buy is as soon as you can afford to. Diamond prices continue to rise. I have noticed price increases on diamonds similar to the 3/4 carat I bought last spring.
1.gif

Toska

Shiny_Rock
I did not know that diamonds were seasonal.

Could an expert chime in and let us know when diamonds are ripe for the buying?

Which months of the year are diamond growing season, wouldn't it be logical to buy the diamonds when they are stale?

Any help for this fellow would be appreciated.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Someone else posed the question quite some time ago. Several of the Vendors commented on the October thru Valentine's timing. Not that diamonds are seasonal, just that Vendors have on hand their largest inventories during that time period. I searched past threads and couldn't find the one I remembered reading that info in.

I did find this thread that might be of interest.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricing-trends-in-the-diamond-industry.9626/

Edit,copy/Edit,paste.
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I've read that the majority of engagements in North American occur during Q4. It would make sense for vendors to have sufficient stock before and during this time frame.

I agree with PQ - wait until the Christmas rush is over, and set your sights on January/February.
1.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
All the time, and when you find a well cut diamond in the 0.80 - 0.99 carat range you should purchase it because they aren't that easy to find! On-line dealers aren't as affected by season as traditional brick and mortar retailers, we don't play the price game dependent on seasonal demand... Annual sales volume is the name of the game here on-line... There were a few months this year where we found very few eighty pointers that met our selection criteria, we finally found four or five and they sold very fast... Picked up a few over the past week or so, they're selling off just as quickly... It is a difficult weight category to find ideal cut diamonds in to begin with, finding ones that aren't cut too steep or which don't have a myriad of feathers along the edge can be quite challenging. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results