shape
carat
color
clarity

Heirloom Rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
So my FF''s sister accidentally dropped a hint to me that my FF might be using his mother''s ring to propose to me! His mother unfortunately passed away 3 years ago this Sunday (yeah, she passed on Father''s Day...it was very sad
7.gif
) and he and his mother were very close. She found out she had cancer a few years before that, and since my FF was the youngest and only one still in the house, they spent alot of time together, and she really made the last few years of her life count.

I''ve never had any huge restrictions on the ring I want, except that I want a white gold band and a solitaire. I''m much more about the proposal, and as long as I think it''s purty, I know I''ll be happy. I''m so touched that he would have gone through the steps to get his mother''s engagement ring for me, it really speaks to what he feels about me and I love the idea. I really hope it''s what''s going to happen, I''m suuuuper sentimental and I would just...I would love it
16.gif
But we''ll see!!!

What would you ladies think of getting a ring that''s been passed down?

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
M loves his mother and grandmother so very much and has done his best to take care of them both for a long time now (not that his mom is in bad health, but he wants her to be happy, same with his grandma). with how much he loves and respects those two, i''d be floored (in a very good way) if he gave me an heirloom ring, and i''d be so scared of hurting or breaking the thing cause of just how much it''d mean.
i''d probably be speechless, it''d touch me that much.

although him proposing in general will most likely have that effect.
30.gif

i have all these answers worked out that i know i won''t even have a chance to say cause i''ll just squeak. ah well.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Most heirloom rings, I''d probably be a little iffy. I''m kind of a control freak and I like the idea of picking my stone.

That said, if his grandmother (that I just saw last weekend) had a ring that she offered to him to use, I wouldn''t hesitate. I don''t care size, specs, whatever. His grandparents had a long, wonderful marriage, and I would be honoured to use a symbol of their commitment to start ours.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
In general, i love the idea of heirloom rings! Especially when they are accompanied with such sentimental value.

But in bf and my situation, it wouldn't work..
Both bfs and my parents are divorced, as well as all of our grandparents! And I don't like the idea of wearing the ering of someone who got divorced.. "bad luck" or something? Coming from families with that much divorce, we need all of the "good luck" we can get!
so the heirloom ring was just not an option for us lol.

None of the rings in our family are the style i wanted either... so him buying my *dream* ring ended up being the best option for us.

Bjedifish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ooh thats a good question. I have seen some that are beautiful, however I know for me it wouldn''t be what I really wanted.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
He thinks you are incredibly special and you are being paid a huge compliment.

I hope you don''t think this is too blunt, but with the divorce statistics being what they are, and people breaking up after they get engaged and the stories about throwing the rings in the trash, off bridges and this and that, a guy being willing to give you the ring from his dead mother that he loved a lot or an heirloom that''s been in the family a long time, means there''s a huge amount of trust in you and in the relationship.

He is also paying you the compliment of believing that you would appreciate his very tender feelings, instead of being the type who wouldn''t even try to understand and who would prefer to have the latest ring showcased by the latest divorced-in-two-minutes-and-married-five-times superficial movie star or celeb, to one that actually has a real meaning.

Enjoy your ring and best wishes for your future marriage.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I have an heirloom ring! It was FI''s great grandmother''s engagement ring and later his grandmother''s engagement ring as well. It''s a very simple white gold solitaire and I LOVE it! We even have the original box circa 1911!

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
Awww, thanks to all of you ladies!

I also think it''s a huge compliment, and I really really hope that what I heard is true! He''s such a sweet sweet man, and giving me a ring that belonged to his mother would be SUCH a touching moment- I know I''m going to cry when he proposes (I''m a leaky faucet, I swear!) but I''ll definitely cry doubly if he proposes with his mom''s ring!

I just hope he remembers that we *may* not have the same ring size, and will hopefully get it re-sized before he does the proposing!!! I definitely want to be able to wear it right away

1.gif

fingers crossed!!!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
That is so sweet!
36.gif

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
So today was the three year anniversary of when FF''s mom passed away, and on our way home from work (our 11 hour shift!!!) we were just talking about her, and FF was reflecting and he said, "you know, I think she would be happy with me", and I said, "For what you''ve done?"

And he said, "Well, yes...and for what I''m going to do"

When I tried to press him for more info, he just shot me his ''I''m hiding something terrific!'' look and left me pondering...

gah!

it needs to be the fourth already!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, this is sweet. I hope the ring works out for you. I hope to pass my rings down to my kids, and grandkids, luckily my taste is very simple and so the ring should stand the test of times and through all the trend.. you know the good old solitaire and eternity band.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results