shape
carat
color
clarity

BF: "I would get a ring from a place with pretty ones, like Zale''s"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
emsmileo.gif

Oh man, I have so much work to do.

Also, he was making fun of my BFF''s FH for getting her ring online (from Blue Nile).

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I would have a heart attack. Heck, I have a mini heart attack when BF says that, and I *know* he''s kidding!

Lots and lots of learning to do. At least take him to Jared so he can see an AGS0 stone. The one near me has them, and that really made an impression on BF. Then I told him stories of getting them for cheaper online.

Then I convinced him to let me help design it. Seems like a better option than dying from a heart attack when your SO starts humming, "Every kiss begins with Kay..."

b.anna

Shiny_Rock
hmm maybe get him to peruse PS and help him realize that stones and ring''s from places like Zales and Kay is way overpriced and not worth the value. hopefully after, you can both look back and laugh?

elation

Rough_Rock
I also have this problem! I''m a bit worried I''m too late though.. (I really have no idea)

Maybe the next time you guys are in a mall and see Zales, just wonder aloud at why mall-based jewelers are so ridiculously priced and poor choices in comparison to their online counterparts.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
When FI and I were looking for rings, I wrote down the specs and price of a ring at Zales, and then found a similar ring and ridiculously better stone at Whiteflash, and showed FI the difference in quality, price and caliber. Usually mall jewelers sell I colored stones with I1-I2 inclusions. My stone is an F with VS2(eyeclean), AGS0 princess.
Needless to say, after that, he was sold on online.
We have a friend who works at Kay who said that if we bought a ring like mine at their store, we would''ve paid over $8,000. My ctw is .97ct, so $8,000 for an under 1 ctw ring!!!!!! FI was shocked at the markup!!!!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
maybe you could go in together to look at rings (Maul stores LOVE to woo couples!), then that same day, look up comps online and bring it to his attention. "Wow, I had no idea how overpriced Mall store were!" "Gosh, I feel like they were really trying to rip us off... and in this economy! I would be really upset right now if we had made a purchase, because our money could go a lot farther!" "Have you heard of (Insert online retailer", they have some fantastic pieces at great prices, blah blah blah"

then send him links to online stores or PS and leave him alone.

:)

inloveinpa

Rough_Rock
Just say no [to ZALES]! (and most other B&M stores!)..they are so insanely marked up in price and the quality you get in their work is sometimes lacking. I have heard so many horror stories about diamonds falling out, prongs breaking, having to take rings back multiple times, etc., that it is worth researching for better quality and definitely better price!!

Maybe you could be on your computer and pull up pricescope...then say something like, "Wow hunny! Look at this amazing site I just came across! It has so much information about rings, vendors, and diamonds. Want to take a look?" Just bring it up non-chalantly! hehe!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
oh man, i knew you girls would understand my horror. i know exactly what i want, and i will find a way to tell him, i just have to make sure he doesn''t go off half-cocked and home home with a maul ring before then! *shudders*

i seriously thought i had headed off this particular concern! i was helping a close friend e-ring shop and telling my boyfriend about the friend''s experiences and near-mistakes, but apparently he was not listening, lol! let that be a lesson to us all: subtlety does not always work with men.

rialaine

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness!

Yeah my FF had the same thought process until I started saying things like "So & so''s ring came from a mall store. Have you ever seen how over priced those stores are? And the quality is usually horrible too." I''d drop hints like that. Especially when a commercial from Zales, Kays etc etc came on the TV.

Then he caught on & started asking me "So what stores are good stores? How do you know what makes a quality diamond?" etc etc & then I started teaching him. It really started clicking after we went ring shopping & now he wants to learn even more.

I told him "You wouldn''t pay sticker price for a car would you? You wouldn''t just got to a random car lot & pick out a car without knowing anything about it or what its bluebook price is, would you?.... Its the same thing with a diamond." Now he''s all excited about the hunt & getting the bargain.

Bjedifish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
EEEEWWW!! That is terrible!! quickly get him on here so he can learn a thing or two!!
3.gif

killerqueen17

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 3:16:06 PM
Author: rialaine
Oh my goodness!

Yeah my FF had the same thought process until I started saying things like 'So & so's ring came from a mall store. Have you ever seen how over priced those stores are? And the quality is usually horrible too.' I'd drop hints like that. Especially when a commercial from Zales, Kays etc etc came on the TV.

Then he caught on & started asking me 'So what stores are good stores? How do you know what makes a quality diamond?' etc etc & then I started teaching him. It really started clicking after we went ring shopping & now he wants to learn even more.

I told him 'You wouldn't pay sticker price for a car would you? You wouldn't just got to a random car lot & pick out a car without knowing anything about it or what its bluebook price is, would you?.... Its the same thing with a diamond.' Now he's all excited about the hunt & getting the bargain.

Yes... get him involved in the "hunt." Guys love a challenge
2.gif

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
For your sake....please encourage him to do his research!!!!

I know for a fact that behind my FI''s back, some friends were talking negatively about his decision to buy at Whiteflash, since its an online vendor. You better believe they got dead silent when they finally saw the ring on my hand...three girls have told me that it is the "sparkliest diamond they have ever seen." One girl even said it was more sparkly than her best friend''s Tiffany diamond :)

Oh, forgot to mention, it''s an AGS0 princess.

PLEASE tell him what sort of quality is out there!!!

pluck15

Shiny_Rock
Good call on comparing it to car shopping! That kind of bargaining is something a guy can understand. I''m sure you will get him to come around as long as you keep at it ;-)

Reading this post makes me feel lucky! My bf is all about researching stuff to death before he''ll buy anything thats over 20 dollars! So all I had to do was let him know I was googly eyed over a certain ring...and now I''m pretty sure thats the only one he''s considering ( or at least designing one just like it) He took me into a zales once, and kinda came out laughing at the quality of the e-rings in there.

Just make sure he gets how in love with a particular brand or designer you are, and hopefully he''ll realize, that''s what he wants to get you to make sure you''re 100% happy with your ring forever!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
BF has actually been really good about the future shopping process - he knows that he''ll be going to one of the online vendors, and then to Leon for the setting. But lately he''s told me that when it comes near time for him to start looking, I get to be a part of the process (yay!) because he''s afraid I''ll be too picky for him to do the shopping secretly
3.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hahaha aww. Guys can be so cute.

rialaine

Shiny_Rock
That book is soooo cute!!! LOVE it!!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 6:44:31 PM
Author: laughwithme
For your sake....please encourage him to do his research!!!!

I know for a fact that behind my FI''s back, some friends were talking negatively about his decision to buy at Whiteflash, since its an online vendor. You better believe they got dead silent when they finally saw the ring on my hand...three girls have told me that it is the ''sparkliest diamond they have ever seen.'' One girl even said it was more sparkly than her best friend''s Tiffany diamond :)

Oh, forgot to mention, it''s an AGS0 princess.

PLEASE tell him what sort of quality is out there!!!
I don''t know where the online diamond stigma came from, but it''s hugely annoying. We buy everything else online, y''know??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results