shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitty psychologist/kitty lover question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
I currently have a 4 year old female kitty and would like to get another kitty. My issue is that my current kitty isnt too fond of
other cats. If another cat comes in the drive way, she chases after them and gives them a swat. Shes not looking for a real
fight...I think she is just trying to set a pecking order or let them know that this is her territory.

Anyways, if I were to get another cat what do you think would be the best option (of hopefully them getting along in the future)?
A male or a female, baby or adult cat, big teddy bear towards other cats or a cat that could stand their own against her?

If anyone has any advice or experience in this area I would love to hear it!
Thanks,
Tyty

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A young kitten would probably be your best bet, usually older cats will take to them more readily than another adult as they don''t see them as a threat so much as an adult. You need to keep your nerve and introduce them very gradually, initially keep them separate and swap around cushions, blankets and so forth which has each cat''s scent so they can get used to this first before actually letting them meet. Then once you do make sure you supervise and if your other cat goes out keep both inside. This is especially important with a newcomer as you are probably aware.

Expect hissing, wailing and swatting until territorial rights have been established. Most of this is bluff but you do need to keep an eye on them to make sure.

If you do this right things should settle down and they will make great company for each other, but do take it very slowly and expect that there will be a bit of fuss initially especially from your existing cat.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
When we introduced our kittens to our cat we had a tense few days. When we bought the kittens home, we kept them in the spare room for a day- the cat became aware that they were there and kind of got to recognise their smell. On the second day we let her in with them. There was a lot of hissing and she onlu managed a few minutes before we had to send her out. We gradually increased the amount of supervised time, allowing each of them to get used to each other. It took about a week til we felt comfortable to let them all sleep in one room. For the first few days I was almost in tears as I thought they''d never got on and we''d made a stupid mistake getting kittens. Now I come home from work and find the three of them rolled up in a giant ball, purring their little socks off.

We also used a feliway, which is a plug in pheremone release thing (might be called something else out of the UK). They are meant to calm stressed cats out. The vet and some other pet care forums raved about it. We can''t prove that it made a difference, but they do love each other!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I've spent a lot of time talking to the cat behaviorists at the shelter where I volunteer, and this is based on what I've learned from them. First, its important to know that cats almost never get along with other cats they don't know right away. Its not like dogs, where you can introduce them and they are likely to be fine. Cats you really need to take it slow. Try keeping the new kitty isolated in his/her own room for at least the first few days, and supervise introductions carefully after that time.

As Lorelei said, some hissing/swatting/growling is to be expected, that's just the kitties working things out in their own way. Cause for concern is if one cat is constantly "stalking" the other cat and/or attacking them to the point that its causing them to stop doing normal behaviors (i.e. intimidating them away from food or the litter box, or causing them to stress groom and pull out chunks of hair).

The good news is that with gradual introductions, most cats can co-exist well together. And more important than a specific gender or age for the new kitty is a personality match - you'll want to make sure that if your current cat, for example, is very outgoing and playful, that you don't get a super shy and fearful kitty as a companion, or vice versa. Any good shelter or rescue group should be able to help provide guidance on this.

Finally, please don't take this the wrong way, but if your kitty is out in the driveway getting into spats with other neighborhood cats, she is at SERIOUS risk of contracting FIV (feline AIDS) or FeLV (feline leukemia - almost always fatal), not to mention getting hit by a car, attacked by a dog or other larger animal, or tortured by cruel people (trust me, you don't want to know the things we've seen at our shelter - its horrible
39.gif
39.gif
). If its at all possible, it would be so much safer for your current kitty and any future kitties to stay inside - I promise you won't be depriving them, they will be perfectly happy and content, they just need a decent selection of toys and climbing posts.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2009 2:45:45 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
I''ve spent a lot of time talking to the cat behaviorists at the shelter where I volunteer, and this is based on what I''ve learned from them. First, its important to know that cats almost never get along with other cats they don''t know right away. Its not like dogs, where you can introduce them and they are likely to be fine. Cats you really need to take it slow. Try keeping the new kitty isolated in his/her own room for at least the first few days, and supervise introductions carefully after that time.

As Lorelei said, some hissing/swatting/growling is to be expected, that''s just the kitties working things out in their own way. Cause for concern is if one cat is constantly ''stalking'' the other cat and/or attacking them to the point that its causing them to stop doing normal behaviors (i.e. intimidating them away from food or the litter box, or causing them to stress groom and pull out chunks of hair).

The good news is that with gradual introductions, most cats can co-exist well together. And more important than a specific gender or age for the new kitty is a personality match - you''ll want to make sure that if your current cat, for example, is very outgoing and playful, that you don''t get a super shy and fearful kitty as a companion, or vice versa. Any good shelter or rescue group should be able to help provide guidance on this.

Finally, please don''t take this the wrong way, but if your kitty is out in the driveway getting into spats with other neighborhood cats, she is at SERIOUS risk of contracting FIV (feline AIDS) or FeLV (feline leukemia - almost always fatal), not to mention getting hit by a car, attacked by a dog or other larger animal, or tortured by cruel people (trust me, you don''t want to know the things we''ve seen at our shelter - its horrible
39.gif
39.gif
). If its at all possible, it would be so much safer for your current kitty and any future kitties to stay inside - I promise you won''t be depriving them, they will be perfectly happy and content, they just need a decent selection of toys and climbing posts.
Ditto.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t read the other responses, but your best bet would be a male kitten. You need to introduce the two cats very slowly. Too many people make the mistake of bringing a new cat (or kitten) home and immediately "throwing" it together with their existing cat. Cats are VERY territorial and do not take kindly to usurpers!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Good responses to the above. I have herd getting a male is best when you already have a female. The important thing is slow introductions, and making sure their time is supervised.

Also, if your old cat is outdoors, and not up to date on immunizations, I would test her for those diseases before I brought a new cat in. I would also make a vet appointment before you brought you new cat home and get that cat tested and immunized.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
When I was married, I had a purebred cat (a Devon Rex) that had a litter of kittens. When my ex and I split up, he kept two of the offspring and I kept the mother. After a few years, he decided he couldn''t keep them anymore and asked me to take them back. When I brought the two cats to my home, not only did their mother not remember them, she freaked out. I had them in another room for a few days to try to transition them. Well I came home one day to find that the mother had taken a gigantic PEE smack dab in the middle of my bed! LOL! I had to throw the mattress out and find another home for the two offspring because I just couldn''t deal with what I''d have to do to get them all together (or if she did it again to a new mattress).

So just watch out for territorial markings like this from your cat while they are getting used to the new arrival! She had NEVER done anything like this before in her life and didn''t do it again after they left......

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies for all the invaluable information. I think I want to get a grown kitty (so we know its personality) and get it from
one of the foster homes around here so I know that it is a happy indoor kitty. I''m also thinking male might be the way to go.
I will definitly do the the long/slow introduction because I dont want to traumatize my current kitty.

Amber and lorelei - I totally get what you are saying about outdoor kittys. I wanted Riley (current cat) to be an indoor cat but
she drove us nuts meowing til we finally let her out. We got her from the pound and they didnt really know her personality
(thats why I''m thinking one of the Cat fostering places would be a good place to start because their foster parents would
know if their cats were happy indoor cats).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results