shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help setting new spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aquasea

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone,

I finally recieved my very first coloured stone! Yipee! It''s a gorgeous round blue spinel. I was sort of hoping that I wouldn''t like it too much so that this rapidly developing addiction could be stopped in it''s tracks but no such luck! I love it. It is so sparkly and unlike anything I have ever seen in jewellery stores.

Anyway, the only problem is that it''s little, 5.7mm. I think it needs a halo but I would like a very delicate one so as not to overpower the stone. I also don''t want to spend loads of money on it as the stone itself wasn''t very expensive. Do any of you know where I might find a setting like this?

Thanks!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First things first, pics of the spinel please!!

LOGR has some halo's for smaller stones. I'll see what I can find.
Halo

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
If you''re talking about the stone in your avatar....it certainly IS gorgeous!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

How about something like this halo on Ebay: Round halo

aquasea

Rough_Rock
Trade
Oh wow, thanks!! I have been trawling the internet for ages and haven''t found anything and within minutes you guys come up with two brilliant options!

MTG - I know I need to take pics of my stone but I have to look for my camera charger! I will try to get on to it tonight. This is all very new to me so hopefully I will be able to get good pictures.

DianaBanana - it is indeed the stone in my avatar
9.gif
In real life it is a bit darker than it looks in that picture.

Sorry if this is a silly question but in both of those settings would the stone sit above the halo or inside it?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
May I just chime in and suggest that if you''d like a more delicate halo you should get the one DB posted(?). The other one would probably work nice with some stone of a bolder color, but when talking about yours I see it in this one.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi aquasea,
I would be very keen to see pics of your new spinel - the colour looks awesome in dan's pic.
Would you say it is maybe one shade darker in real life? more?

And does it have any purple/violet in it or is it that real blue colour it looks in Dan's pic?

Please excuse all the questions, if you haven't guessed already I am looking to maybe purchase one, lol..

Get onto that charger love! In the meantime, here is a slightly larger pic of aqua's spinel:

spinel blue aqaus.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I think a delicate diamond halo will be a great idea.
We know for a fact it works really well..because here''s a pic of Bling Addict''s
gorgeous ring, a blue spinel cut by Dan in a diamond halo
5.gif
One of my faves!

BA spinel halo 2.22.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous blue spinel! I can''t wait to see more pictures.
36.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful first stone! It''s going to look gorgeous in any setting I think.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
goorgeous stone and ditto the halo look

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would look great if you can find a halo with the right size melees. Too large and it will make the spinel look smaller. Too small and it would not do anything for the spinel.

aquasea

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for all the replies guys! Sorry I still don''t have photos for you. My camera is having issues and (as much as I hate to say it) I am going to have to wait for my lovely husband to take a look at it for me.

arjunajane - In answer to your question, it''s hard to say. It certainly is darker than it appears in Dan''s pic (but I was expecting that from my research on here) but it depends on the lighting. Sometimes it looks like it does in the pic but inside away from direct light it goes almost a denimy blue. Still loads of sparkle though! It doesn''t have any purple/violet in it that I have detected so far. It seems to stay fairly constantly blue. I also LOVE Bling Addicts ring and I would shamelessly copy it but I think her spinel must be bigger than mine. I think that setting would probably overpower my stone.

Chrono - I know, your comment is exactly my worry but I think I am going to just have to bite the bullet and see what happens as I don''t have the budget to go custom with this little guy! I think I am more worried about the melee being too big and clunky rather than too small. In fact, I think probably the smaller and daintier the better.

Right, I have to race out the door but if anyone happenes along any other settings they think might work please please let me know!

Thanks!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
pretty stone! I agree that it would look lovely in a petite halo setting.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 8:08:24 PM
Author: aquasea

arjunajane - In answer to your question, it''s hard to say. It certainly is darker than it appears in Dan''s pic (but I was expecting that from my research on here) but it depends on the lighting. Sometimes it looks like it does in the pic but inside away from direct light it goes almost a denimy blue. Still loads of sparkle though! It doesn''t have any purple/violet in it that I have detected so far. It seems to stay fairly constantly blue. I also LOVE Bling Addicts ring and I would shamelessly copy it but I think her spinel must be bigger than mine. I think that setting would probably overpower my stone.
Hey aqua
thanks for replying to my questions! It sounds like a very pretty stone.

re the highlighted, I realized this - I was just posting it as an example of how lovely the combo of blue spinel
and diamond halo can look - of course the size of the melee, design etc would need to be modified for your stone
5.gif

(plus BA''s was made by a jeweller in Australia)
2.gif

Good luck with your search!

aquasea

Rough_Rock
Trade
"plus BA''s was made by a jeweller in Australia"
6.gif
Was it?! How strange - I am in Oz too! I should find out who she used. Not that I am going to go custom with thihs project but it''s handy to know about good people for the future.

I have been doing more trawling for settings... What do you guys think of this one?

11111aab.jpg

aquasea

Rough_Rock
Trade
I like how delicate it looks and how it looks like it would let a lot of light in to the stone (oh, I had a side shot to show what I meant but I can''t upload it for some reason. Anyway, I am sure you get the idea from the pic above) but it might completely overpower my little guy with the split shank and everything. I would love your expert opinions!!

aquasea

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hmmmm, double prongs too? I think that really would be overkill!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2009 1:23:23 AM
Author: aquasea
Hmmmm, double prongs too? I think that really would be overkill!
Double prongs were the first thing I noticed there and I think they''re too much for a stone of less than 6 mm. Regarding melee, it might not overpower the stone if diamonds are not larger than 1 point (.01 ct) each, but then they might not do much for it anyway (don''t expect much sparkle from half pointers, unless they''re of very good clarity).

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have anything to say here, except that the stone looks gorgeous, and I''m looking forward to seeing real life pictures of it!

I''m now pondering the plum pinkish purple spinel on Dan''s site...maybe even in a halo, seeing as they look so nice...
1.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK now. Where are the pictures of this lovely stone????

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking the double prongs might be too much for the spinel and make it appear smaller instead.

aquasea

Rough_Rock
Trade
I know I have been terrible with the pictures. I can''t take any tonight as I have friends coming over but I will really try to get some tomorrow.

I have ordered the split shank double prong setting despite the good advice on here (and my own thoughts that the double prong and split shank will overpower my little guy!). Oh well, I thought I can get it and see what it looks like. You never know, it might work and if I don''t like it for my spinel I can keep it for a future project (I have a 6.3mm green tourmaline winging it''s way to me from Barry as I type and I am sure these won''t be my last coloured stones
31.gif
). If I don''t like it at all I can always send it back. I just got so sick of trawling the internet and not finding exactly what I had in my head. I suppose you have to compromise if you don''t have the budget to go custom.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I promise to post pics as soon as I possibly can.

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
aquasea, do you mind posting where that setting is from? It''s pretty!

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Aquasea, it is a beautiful spinel - I absolutely love blue stones, they are luscious! I think it will make a lovely ring, especially with a delicate halo
1.gif

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
I love the colour
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I can''t wait to see your photos
36.gif
36.gif

aquasea

Rough_Rock
Trade
Firstly, I am so sorry I have been so lame about getting photos. I really tried to get good pics of the stone but none of them came out right (maybe it''s time for a new camera!!). Anyway I just picked it up from the jewellers and finally...here it is!! (sorry about the terrible picture, it was taken with my phone but I wanted to at least give you an idea of what it looks like)
I am thrilled. This is my first little coloured stone project and it''s turned out so much better than I thought it would. I love it!

spinel ring625.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOWOWOWOW aquasea it turned out absolutely stunning!!!
30.gif
The colour looks amazing in that pic. Where did you get the setting from?!

Great job!!!
36.gif

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! You did an amazing job! I love it
9.gif

aquasea

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much DandiAndi and akmiss. I am really thrilled with it. This definitely won''t be my last project!

I got the setting from ebay from a seller called oxforddiamondco. It is very delicate and I am sure it''s not the best quality but for the price I am so happy with it. The teeny little diamonds sparkle like crazy and it really sets off my gorgeous spinel.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Even on your phone camera, your ring looks gorgeous, and the color is fantastic on the spinel - very vibrant! I love the setting - it doesn''t overwhelm the stone at all, but adds just the right amount of sparkly. I know you''re having issues with your camera, but we''d love to see more pics if you''re able. Enjoy your pretty ring - you did a terrific job. So......what gemstone are you looking at next?
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results