shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
All you ladies have seriously inspired me with all of your beautiful cuppies!!
36.gif
I''ve stalked this thread for a long time and finally decided to jump in and try some cuppies myself. This was my first time and I was pleased with how they came out. I use a carrot cake recipe posted here recently (by Skippy?) and found a cream cheese icing recipe. The carrot cake was fab! The icing came out a tad too soft but I think I overmixed. Carrot cake is DH''s fave so he was a happy camper!! I look forward to making more. Hope you like and thanks so much for inspiring me!
9.gif

CarrotCuppies4.24.09-3.jpg

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Last one...thanks for looking!

CarrotCuppies4.24.09-1.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jas... re: NYC cupcakeries, I have heard the same thing. Do you know there are like 20 cupcakeries in NYC? It''s crazy the amt of places you can go.

Martha had Butter Lane and Sweet Revenge on her show recently. SR is a cupcake and wine bar!

My friend went to Magnolia and Buttercup when she was in NYC. They *are* different. She categorized Magnolia as having a ''cornbread'' texture more like a muffin and Buttercup was def more cupcakey. She brought me back some Buttercup halves, and I loved them, particularly the Lemon and the traditional Vanilla.

Try using Yelp.Com to figure out where you might want to go cupcaking while in NYC...people are typically pretty candid with reviews on sweets...!!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
InLuv- Seriously, that was your first try? WOW.

You ladies are so talented. I am so not a baker, or really even a sweets eater, but I love the pics on this thread.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 4:58:13 PM
Author: mia1181
dh97- Those are adorable!

MC- They do make lego candy, so you could just make cupcakes and put the candy that looks like legos on top. ETA- Oops just realized you probably meant the little lego men.... those would be so cute!
Mia - I have seen the lego-block-looking candy. Santa gave the boys some in their stockings and they loved it! Over the weekend, my son went to a b-day party and there was a Lego guy on top of his cupcake. He was thrilled!

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks China and LovesVintage! It was my first time and was sooo much fun! I''m planning on making more this weekend...DH says I''m trying to make him fat
27.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Mara--thanks for the tips--will def. check out yelp. If you like Buttercup i think i will go there--that''s a few good reviews i ''ve heard now and i know u have discerning tastebuddies
2.gif

Iluv--hmm, so want one of those cupcakes now! Your frosting looks like soft-serve icecream--yum!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Oh boy...I was avoiding this thread for a reason...and now I know why!
18.gif

I love cupcakes...I love eating cupcakes...I love chocolate cupcakes with white frosting...(not sure why, maybe the contrast?) But a dark chocolate cupcake with white frosting always makes my mouth water!...the only thing better than a cupcake, is another cupcake!

You ladies have a lot of talent!!! Keep up the good (yummy) work and thanks for sharing your pictures and recipes too!
35.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
InLuv- can''t believe those are your first cuppies! So pretty.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
InLuv,

Those look so yummy!!
9.gif
Excellent job, girl!!
36.gif

The penguins are adorable!!

skimmy

Rough_Rock
re: NYC cupcakeries...

magnolia was originally started by two women who had a falling out over franchising the business
(according to the rumors). one stayed on at magnolia and the other went on to create buttercup.
over time, magnolia was sold to new owners who kept the same recipe and yet, it doesn''t taste
quite the same any more. as far as i''ve read, buttercup is still owned by one of the original owners
and if you go on the sex and the city tour, they actually take you to magnolia''s but give you
buttercup''s cupcakes!

magnolia also begat billy''s...one of the guys who started it used to be a manager at magnolia.
the taste is very similar...

sweet revenge is good...very dense cake, not small and heavy on the icing (which tastes a lot like
traditional american buttercream). but they don''t have as much of a selection and they''re not as
fresh if you go later in ther afternoon.

sugar sweet sunshine is a pain to get to but their cupcakes are delish!!
great selection and all of the times i''ve made the trek, very fresh..try their lemon and pistachio.

i would also suggest batch...really interesting flavors, much more "adult" tastes. it just lacks in
presentation and customer service.

the other one that has really great reviews (that i have yet to try) is two little red hens.

(yes...i LOVE cupcakes.)
30.gif
HTH!

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Fisher, Jas and IceKid!

Question for you ladies...

I want to bake more cupcakes in the future but DH and I won''t/can''t eat them all. I''ll probably bring some to work or send some with DH for his students and/or co-workers. Are you guys using cupcake carriers to transport your cupcakes? Any recommendations on a good sturdy one I should purchase? I''d appreciate any suggestions!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I take cupcakes and cookies to work about twice/three times a month because of the same thing, InLuv. I love to bake them... but we certainly don''t need to eat them! (Not a batch at a time, anyway!)

I have a hand-me down from my mom with a cute cover that has pink handles. I don''t even think it has a brand name on it, though... it''s from the 80s, I think. Retro.
9.gif

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2009 8:38:54 PM
Author: fisherofmengirly
I take cupcakes and cookies to work about twice/three times a month because of the same thing, InLuv. I love to bake them... but we certainly don't need to eat them! (Not a batch at a time, anyway!)

I have a hand-me down from my mom with a cute cover that has pink handles. I don't even think it has a brand name on it, though... it's from the 80s, I think. Retro.
9.gif
And why have I not seen any pics of your cuppies on this thread?!
2.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Ok, creative cupcake ladies....I need your help! I am making some cupcakes for a friend''s shower on Sat. She wants mini cupcakes in chocolate, vanilla, and coconut. The shower is for a baby girl. Any suggestions for toppings? I looked at the baby chocolate molds they had, but they were way too huge for minis. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh my--- those picture sure doesn''t say you''re a first timer
36.gif
pictures looks delicious
18.gif

Date: 4/25/2009 2:03:14 PM
Author: InLuv101
Last one...thanks for looking!

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks D&T!
16.gif
It was so much fun and I can''t wait to get in the kitchen and bake more this weekend.

I read back through this thread and saw the suggestion for cake/pasty boxes for transporting them, so I will look into those when I go shopping tomorrow.

Steph -- I haven''t made any minis yet nor have I really explored fondant and toppers yet, but when I go shopping tomorrow, I''ll keep my eyes peeled for any good ideas for you!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Yea! Finally have some to add. Did an order for a baby girl shower for tomorrow.

showercuppies1b.jpg

lili

Ideal_Rock
steph--
i always like how your coconut ones turn out
5.gif

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Love those coconut cupcakes Steph! What are the toppers made of? It''s hard to tell from the pic. Do you have a recipe or are they just vanilla cupcakes with coconut topping?

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Jas, thanks for your ideas! I''ve never seen those pre-made roses and one of these days, want to try my own. I think the rose looks pretty on that cupcake.

Dh97, your cupcakes look great! What did you use to make the flowers? I''ve never seen vanilla beans at Costco before so I will have to check that out.

InLuv101, your carrot cake cupcakes turned out great! I don''t know if the recipe you used has nuts but you can add them to the recipe and they turn out even better! I add about 1/3 cup to my recipe which makes over 1dz. Yes, I use a cupcake carrier. I have one that you can get at BB&B and various other stores which has a holder for 12 cupcakes and the other side is plain to carry a cake. I generally don''t use the holder and can fit more cupcakes in it. It is white and has a plastic, clear cover.
The other one I have has 3 levels, holds 12 cupcakes on each level and comes in different colors. I can''t remember the name for either. I like them both! When I''m only taking a few cupcakes somewhere, I use cake pans to transport them.

Loves Vintage, those penguins are cute! People are so talented!

Hi Ara Ann, yes, this thread makes me want cupcakes too!!

Fisher, I second the request for pictures and a pic of your carrier. Sounds cute!

Steph, I''m too late to give ideas but yours turned out great! Did you use chocolate melts for the molds? I just bought some more molds so that I can try out a few things. I also bought some stamps to try out.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s some for the bday party I did: These are Chocolate Brownie and Vanilla cake with Vanilla frosting.

vanillafrostsml.JPG

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
More from the party:

happybdaysml.JPG

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 4:12:18 PM
Author: HollyS
Chocolate cake, chocolate buttercream in the middle, green mint buttercream (or cream cheese?) on top, with a dollop of vanilla buttercream, Oreo sprinkles, and semi-sweet chocolate morsels.

I swear, I nearly licked the paper!

They sound amazing!!
18.gif
18.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results