shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
oooh! I think the peep is my fav cuppie ever. It''s gorgeous, Mara. I love seeing your work.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 8:50:14 PM
Author: mia1181
Freke- All I have to say is that your handwriting looks like fancy calligraphy next to mine!
9.gif
Your handwriting is very feminine, mine is very scratchy like a man''s. The writing on the cupcakes was me trying very hard to make them look girly. I''m left-handed too which doesn''t help.
Well I was trying to write nicely since I was going to take a pic of it for you guys to try to read.
9.gif

I''ve had the same handwriting since I was in 5th grade...most of the time it''s illegible...

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Posting pics of cuppies *after* mara''s creations is NOT the most flattering light...but i ''ll do it
2.gif

These are the little creations i made for my son''s b-day. Let me warn all bakers to NEVER ice your cuppies even if they are a tad warm still (i was so rushed and even put the warm cake in the freezer for a min but it didn''t cool them down. My icing slid all around and they got beat up in the transportation since they were so soft...oh well, lesson learned. They were still very tasty

I tried the magnolia bakery recipe and it was yummy but i don''t know if it was that much better than my old stand-by. My old recipe uses oil and usually i much prefer butter, but for the added cost and work of mixing etc. i think i''ll stick with my oldie.

partycottage3.jpg

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Here are my other goodies
Home made creme eggs in various flavors, cinnamon snickerdoodle cookies with maple cream filling, choco chip cookies, mini espresso cuppies with choco frosting...

coparty4.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jas, those look sooooooooooooooooooo yummmmmmy
18.gif

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
jas12 YUMMY!!!! now we need a pic of Co digging into one of those yummy treats!

lili

Ideal_Rock
Jas12--
Are you kidding me?
Those cuppies are so professional looking.
All your treats look so delish!
18.gif
18.gif

Too bad I didn''t live closer, else I''d crash Co''s bday for those yummies
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great job Jas, I love the cupcakes even if the frosting slid....I hear ya on warm cupcakes... put them in the freezer for quick cooling if necessary.

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
Jas, they look so good, I''ll take one of the cupcake please
18.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
So, I made some carrot cake cuppies today and they didn''t turn out very well. I don''t think the recipe was conducive for cuppies.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mia I love your "eat me" cupcakes. LOL.

The Easter cupcakes are great.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jas, YUM!!!!
30.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 9:56:39 PM
Author: Jas12
Here are my other goodies
Home made creme eggs in various flavors, cinnamon snickerdoodle cookies with maple cream filling, choco chip cookies, mini espresso cuppies with choco frosting...
What a gorgeous spread of treats, Jas!

Is it sad that I am excited for a baby so I can have parties and make cupcakes?
3.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
icekid--nope, not sad, cute
1.gif
I was lamenting my (temp) loss of dinner parties with the new baby, cuz i love to entertain. But now i realize b-day parties, christening, halloween, easter etc. will give me plenty of reasons to bake/cook for a group
3.gif

But i gotta admit--it is SO much harder to get this stuff done when u have kids. I save it all for the evenings when i have free time, but it''s hard to motivate one''s self to cook and clean after a looooong day.
That spread of goodies was a major accomplishment-ha
3.gif

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t cook, but this are my favorites cupcakes Mmmm... Magnolias.... mmmm... so worth it, and oh so bad! Magnolias is a cupcake place on the west side, always a long line, but it''s worthy.

n723155267_6038074_1355255.jpg

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Well here are the final result of my cupcakes!
36.gif
I had my SIL write on them and I was much happier with her handwriting. The green ones came out a lot yellower than I planned. I colored the frosting in the morning when it was still dark out. When the sun came out I realized they weren't exactly the color I thought they were. Oh well, close enough. They coordinated with the cake just fine. I can't wait to make some more!

emcupmia1235.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mia they look absolutely fantastic, so professional!! I like the green!!
36.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,
I really need some help, i.e., decorating advice! First wanted to say: Beautiful cupcakes Mara, Jas and Mia!!!

Ok, I''m making cupcakes for a birthday party. The woman is approx. 65. I can''t decide on decorations. I thought about doing Happy Birthday w/fondant cutouts, each letter on one cupcake but not sure and as of yet, I don''t have letter cutouts (but can get some). I thought about just doing something pretty and simple but can''t think of what. I want it to be special and am blanking out on ideas.

Please help!!! The party is SUNDAY!

Thank you for any ideas!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Dixie--hmm, at my local supply shop they sell the pre-made roses that go on cakes. Normally i think these look a little tacky/old school --but on a cuppie, different story. I''ve been eyeing them up b/c I recently saw some used in a magazine. The icing was a very pale pastel (can''t remember what, but i think a pale yellow or lavender would be nice for spring) topped with a single rose (you could use a contrast color like off white or keep it simple and go with the same color rose) --you could also add some of those pearl candies if you want to go a bit fancier.

i''ll try to find a pic so u have some idea....

hopefully other''s will chime in for some ideas for ya...

cuppiesrose12.jpg

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
mia--those ''eat me''s'' turned out great! The frosting looks nice and creamy. Yum, i want one now!

Gaby--I am going to NYC in august and hope to make it to Magnolias. Those look delish!

I have heard conflicting opinions on magnolias. Someone told me the name sells the cuppies at Mag''s but there are many better places to go. I was told to hit up Buttercream. Anyone care to weigh in? I would love to sample a few places in NYC, but i don''t think my waistline would be too pleased (esp since we plan to get pizza in little italy, dumplings in china town...)

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Jas those rose cuppies are adorable, great idea!

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 9:43:12 AM
Author: Jas12
mia--those ''eat me''s'' turned out great! The frosting looks nice and creamy. Yum, i want one now!

Gaby--I am going to NYC in august and hope to make it to Magnolias. Those look delish!

I have heard conflicting opinions on magnolias. Someone told me the name sells the cuppies at Mag''s but there are many better places to go. I was told to hit up Buttercream. Anyone care to weigh in? I would love to sample a few places in NYC, but i don''t think my waistline would be too pleased (esp since we plan to get pizza in little italy, dumplings in china town...)

I''ve never heard of Buttercream, do you mean Buttercup? If so, the cupcakes there are very similar to Magnolia because the owner of Buttercup used to co-own Magnolia. I’m not such a fan of either place…I always end up disappointed because they are both just so sickeningly sweet…I can never manage to finish even one of their cupcakes (and believe me, I can finish a cupcake!).
There is a new-ish cupcake shop in the East Village called Butter Lane—it’s my new favorite by far. They use natural, organic ingredients and are just simple and yummy, and they aren’t as rot-your-teeth sweet as many other cupcake shops. They have both American buttercream frosting and French buttercream…try the French- you’ll never go back!!
18.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
ice-queen--oh maybe that''s the name (must have heard it wrong) So too sweet you say? I have a major sweet tooth so i''ll try some and let u know.
I''ll also try to find Butterlane--sounds divine
18.gif

dh97

Shiny_Rock
1st time try to make cupcake. I made 6 dozens mini cupcakes. The green frosting was green tea. The children loved them.

Does anyone know that Costco ( phoenix ) has Vanilla beans on sale?( I think 50% off ) only $5.89/10 beans.

mini-cupcakes.JPG

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara and Jas - beautiful. Can you make ones with Lego figures on them?
9.gif
My kids would love those! Maybe I should call around for the next birthday party and see if someone can do that.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
dh97- Those are adorable!

MC- They do make lego candy, so you could just make cupcakes and put the candy that looks like legos on top. ETA- Oops just realized you probably meant the little lego men.... those would be so cute!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
trying to post.....

Hmmm I guess it won't let me copy a link.....

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Found these on Flickr:

spaceballmia1234.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
well I guess there is no way to take a pic from flickr or post a link, so if you google "lego men flickr" you''ll find some cute cupcakes.

lili

Ideal_Rock
mia--
the "eat me" cuppies came out really nice.
i love how the medallion turn out.

dh97--
adorable cuppies!!
very impressed that these were your first try!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results