shape
carat
color
clarity

Parents and old age

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
So my parents are in their mid 60's and are starting to have all kinds of health problems. My dad's had a heart attack and has been in and out of the hospital for stress, cholesterol, etc. I just got an email saying they went to the doctors and his kidneys are only functioning at about 30-40%. Is this something I should be too worried about or is this pretty treatable? Anyone else experiencing parents easing into old age?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, so far my oldies on both sides are holding their own... hope smeone can chime in with some more specific info for you - I just wanted to give you my support!
Kidneys, I do know, have incredible generational powers, and although a change in lifestyle might be in order (eg no alcohol), there is no reason to think your dad might not live to a healthy old age.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
well my parents hardly drink ever. my mom has wine once in a while at xmas but my dad doesnt drink at all. i do know they had to cut sugar and sodium almost completely out of their diets though. might make their dinner dates on saturdays a lot tougher for them :) should be interesting to see how they deal with that

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
oh, I hope they can find a sense of humour about it, to be honest age-related illnesses really sound just foul.

My mum, who has always been as healthy as an ox, has just been diagnosed with a kind of rheumatoid arthritis (sp?) and it is so debilitating that she can''t lift her bedclothes off herself! She has to struggle to the edge of the bed and throw her feet over like a worm!!
7.gif

I''m not going to enjoy getting old, methinks! No wonder young people think old people are always grumpy!
7.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
lol im gonna try my hardest not to be a grumpy old lady!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
*bump*
7.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Smurfs. There is a thread just for this, caring for the Elderly. Ellen started it. I will bump it for you. HUGS!!!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Funny how we really begin to worry about our parents as they get older. I always had to remind my mom about her mammograms and would check to make sure she went for them. I guess she was tired of me always bugging her so she said that she went. It wasn''t until I noticed my mom not looking right that I went to the doctor''s with her and found out that she never had a mammogram and unfortunately she knew something was wrong but decided to ignore it and it was too late for her.

My dad always had superb blood pressure, but in the past few years it has been quite high and he thought he could treat it by changing his diet, exercising more, etc (he''s 80). At least my dad listens to me and knows that taking a pill isn''t the end of the world, it is just prolonging his well being and life.

Parents can be stubborn and as you get older it is hard to comes to terms that you are aging and that what used to work doesn''t anymore. Lifestyle changes are necessary, better diet, exercising and yes, medication. It sound like you dad''s low kidney function could be due to high blood pressure and maybe all that is needed is to beter control his blood pressure through a different medication, exercise, reduction in stress, and a change in diet. There are certain things we can control and other things that are beyond our control.

Hang in there, it does get tougher as our parents get older, but I am sure that it is a blessing to them to know that you care so much about them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results