shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with opinion on stone. PLEASE?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
Dear Stonefolks,

I am purchasing this stone from an internet dealer, but not someone huge on the net like BN, Superbcert, Abazias, WF, etc. The dealer is legit and has a return policy.

However, when I asked the dealer if the stone had hearts and arrows and what the brilliance scope report was he said that they don''t use those means to judge the cut of a diamond, they use the Sarin Report to judge cut. He said he fully expects the stone to display h & a, they however don''t use h & a viewers or use h & a to market. The company has thousands of diamonds, all diamonds sold are in stock with some available for brokering by other jewelers, and all have GIA and Sarin Reports. They don''t give you a h & a viewer, loup, free shipping, and lovely wood box like some dealers, but seem very reputable based on my converstations and Pricescope posts.

He said the diamond is top notch and feel free to take it to any appraiser I wish, that they do not recommend appraisers. No questions asked return policy, but only 7 days. The diamond is described as a Super Ideal Cut.

GIA
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Sym: VG
Pol: EX
Depth: 61.8
Table:56
$5000

Sarin Report on the way (email problem), which he says illustrates ''super ideal'' proportions.

I have been looking for some time and this seems to be an excellent find. What is your opinion from the more experienced folks??????

Thanks,
David

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"super ideal" usually means top H&A symmetry beyond "ideal" proportions.

There are two H&A rounds listed here starting at $5500 (THIS is one of them)... so, your seems to be a relatively good deal.

From what I read in your post, the stone is a GIA certified one within AGS0 proportions - which Sarin will likely prove. That AGS0 cut grade does imply top symmetry and polish too (better than GIA's "good" for what that matters) - like this 1.06 I,VS2 has (LINK).

THIS One did not make the house barnd og H&A... and got discounted to a tempting deal, IMO. I suspect your stone might be like this - if GIA also read Ex-Ex and the light return turns out just as nice, of course.
2.gif

On the aside, there is really no comparison between Abazias and BN (!) - one is a small venture, the other among the largest internet retailers. Aparently all PS related shops are farely small as far as I can tell - only that database if HUGE and intimidating
1.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
David,

It looks a pretty stone from what you supplied but it will be difficult to give a straight answer without seeing it. You're missing some critical data to do even a basic analysis. It won't count as an ideal because of the symmentry, much less as a super-ideal, whatever that is.

The description of the seller sounds fine although 7 days is a bit tight on the return period. Make sure you understand which 7 days will count because it's easy to eat up that much in shipping time between them and you. If you use an appraiser that isn't local, you may also lose too much time in the shipping and this may limit your options somewhat.

Not everyone likes h&a but it's easy enough to buy a viewer yourself and check it out if you want it. I think David Atlas sells them for pretty reasonable prices. I would suggest you order one immediately so that you have it in hand if and when you decide to bring in a stone to look at.

Don't let the slick websites fool you. The dealers here are pretty small potatoes. Costco, Amazon, Walmart, Home Shopping Network, these are the big boys. Our guys can run circles around them on price and quality but they don't hold a candle for total sales (yet).

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Apprraisals in Denver

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
I listed the table and depth. The jeweler states:

Sarin is attached. Please notice everything
on the stone is rated "0" or ideal. This is as perfect as it gets in terms
of cut quality.

SARIN INFO
Overall Sarin Cut Grade: 0
Crown: 34.3 degrees 15.2% 0
Pavillion 41.2 degrees 43.5% 0
Table 3.75mm 55.3% 0
Culet 1.0% 0
Girdle 1.5% 1.0% 1.9% 0

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
Also, I'm not sure whether to

1. send it to local appraiser (GIA certified)
2. send to Atlas
3. buy h & a viwer, ideal scope, and make my own decision.

Any ideas?

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Send it to Atlas and get a full work up before you buy. This may cost a little more but will give you that extra bit of confidence befor buying.

Don't fuss over H&A if it's a great cut. The viewer is only good for looking at an unset stone. Once the stone is set, it's a useless tool
twirl.gif

I bought an idealscope and it's a fun thing to have. However, i don't have the experience to really make use of it. An Atlas appraisal will tell you much more.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
it scored a 3.1 on the HCA...

i find this one a tad more tempting
1.gif
with the PS discount you're near $5K...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 9/16/2004 12:45:19 PM Blueman33 wrote:

Also, I'm not sure whether to

1. send it to local appraiser (GIA certified)
2. send to Atlas
3. buy h & a viwer, ideal scope, and make my own decision.

Any ideas?----------------

If you have a local independent appraiser, this will probably be easier, faster and cheaper than dealing with someone out of state. Check the link above for finding a local appraiser.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results