clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 9:24:52 AM
Author: *~*Danielle*~*
Date: 2/3/2009 10:22:04 AM

Author: Jas12

Hi gang--anyone have a really good chocolate cuppie recipe ? I am looking for something moist and with an even rise (i want to put a chocolate ganache on it) my recipe, although good tasting, bakes with some cracking on the surface of the cake. this would be fine if i were piping on buttercream, but i would like to find a recipe that bakes nice and smooth.

Any suggestions?

Hi Jas,

There is a recent post on the blog smittenkitchen that has cupcakes made out of a guiness cake recipe (I think originally found on epicurious). I have only made the cake form, but it''s a moist firm cake with a great even rise. Smittenkitchen''s cupcakes also look awesome.

Hope that helps!

Hey, I''ve made that recipe too! It has a pretty good texture and turns out about the color of a glass of stout, but our take on it was that it wasn''t very chocolatey. It didn''t have that luscious richness of a dense chocolate. That said, I will be making them again for a St. Paddy''s Day gathering we''re having, but IMO they don''t fit the classic chocolate bill. They''re definitely less sweet, and not the type of cupcake kids will crave. Jas, if I might offer a suggestion, perhaps make a test batch first in advance to evaluate for yourself?

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Fleur--thanks for the heads up--judging by the pic, the rise is exactly what i am looking for, but i do also want chocolatey
I am trying a raspberry creme filling and a ganache topping --so i don''t need a super sweet cuppie, but since it will be a v-day treat i still want decadence. I doubt the flavor of the beer will really come thru, but to be on the safe side i may save that recipe for st. patty''s --it is very unique!!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Helllllp, ladies!! One of the nurses at work has asked me to make a cupcake tree for her daughter's 18th. She is a pink FREAK. I have this cuppie tree...

CupcakeStand.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It holds 38 cuppies. I have these gorgeous hot pink foil patty tins, and was thinking about doing half vanilla with strawberry cream cheese frosting, and half chocolate with cream cheese mint frosting either coloured pale green or the same pink as the strawberry ones. Thoughts? Too much pink? Keep in mind this girl is a pink nut
9.gif
I was going to go with the all pink frosting idea, but I figure I''d better ask advice first!

Mara? Dixie? Freke?

Ahhhhhh cupcake stress!
41.gif

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 12:45:22 AM
Author: DandiAndi
It holds 38 cuppies. I have these gorgeous hot pink foil patty tins, and was thinking about doing half vanilla with strawberry cream cheese frosting, and half chocolate with cream cheese mint frosting either coloured pale green or the same pink as the strawberry ones. Thoughts? Too much pink? Keep in mind this girl is a pink nut
9.gif
I was going to go with the all pink frosting idea, but I figure I'd better ask advice first!

Mara? Dixie? Freke?

Ahhhhhh cupcake stress!
41.gif

I am not an expert at cupcakes like the above mentioned ladies, but I am an expert in being a pink nut!
2.gif
. I would have to say you can never have too much pink, but on the other hand complimentary colours can make the pink stand out and can be more visually appealing. I personally would do the two different colours. But that is just me. Good Luck! and come back and post a picture of them when you are done. I can't wait to see them!
4.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh Missjaxon I was hoping a pink nut would chime in!
9.gif
So you think the green frosting on the chocolate ones instead of pink, you mean?

Thanks lovely!
35.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Dand-- i would do all pink for visual impact--a pale pink icing with a bright pink topper (i once did pink icing with half a piece of pink/white old fashioned stick swirl candy sticking into the icing -off to the side--they were adorable) but if you hit a bulk store there should be lots of things for topper inspiration

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 5:39:52 AM
Oooh Missjaxon I was hoping a pink nut would chime in!
9.gif
So you think the green frosting on the chocolate ones instead of pink, you mean?

Thanks lovely!
35.gif

Yes, I think the green would look beautiful with pink! You are making me want pink cupcakes now! haha I really hope you post pictures of whatever you decide to do, I would love to see some pretty pink cupcakes!!
9.gif
18.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love pink! I am no cupcake expert (okay maybe I qualify in eating cupcakes
9.gif
) but I agree you can''t have too much pink. I like the green frosting idea on the chocolate cupcakes but maybe put a little pink flower or pattern on them to tie in the pink to the other cupcakes.

I hope to post some photos soon on this thread. I started a cake decorating class last week. I am in WAY over my head but I spent a fair amount of $$ getting everything I need for the class so I am going to stick to it for awhile. I will see how I do on my first cake in class on Wednesday. The cake is baked and in the freezer.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks heaps for your opinions, ladies, I really really appreciate it!

Well I asked the birthday girl, and she isn''t a fan of chocolate *gasp* and wants pink pink PINK. So, all vanilla and strawberry in hot pink foils it is! Thanks for the gorgeous idea of the candy Jas, that sounds just adorable!! I''ll have to peruse my local cake supplies shop
9.gif

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 5:31:24 AM

Well I asked the birthday girl, and she isn''t a fan of chocolate *gasp* and wants pink pink PINK. So, all vanilla and strawberry in hot pink foils it is! Thanks for the gorgeous idea of the candy Jas, that sounds just adorable!! I''ll have to peruse my local cake supplies shop
9.gif

Well you can''t argue with the birthday girl! How can she not like chocolate? That is just crazy talk! lol At least now you know what she wants. Don''t forget to come back and show off those beauties.
21.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Jas, getting an old fridge is a great idea! I like the idea of only plugging it in when I need it. As orders increase, I might just have to do that!
Jas, I''m sure your cupcakes are great and you would make a wonderful assortment of desserts for your friend''s wedding. What are you thinking of making? No great choc. recipe at the moment but if I find one I really like, I''ll let you know. Surprisingly, I don''t get a lot of orders for chocolate.

Mara, I have started to frost in the morning now too. It just means getting up a little earlier than planned on days when I''m working. Unfortunately, it doesn''t really get very cold here (well, that is a good thing for all other purposes!) so I can''t leave anything out. I don''t even really like to leave the cupcakes out but I do depending on the flavor. What did you decide to do for Vday?

SDL, sorry you were disappointed in your cupcake! It is amazing how much is charged for a single cupcake these days. I am definitely underpriced!!

Amandine, thanks for sharing that! I really like those.

DandiAndi, I like the idea of doing half pink and half something else. But honestly, I don''t think *all* pink is terrible if she really likes pink. You could do variations in the pink coloring to change it a bit.

Something to keep in mind with strawberry is that it''s messy. I''ve found that I can''t frost them the way I regular do (w/a pastry bag and tip) b/c the frosting doesn''t hold the firmer consistency. If you''re going to top them with a slice of fresh strawberry and/or red sugar (both look really pretty!), top them at the actual event. Otherwise, the sugar gets a little soft and the juice from the strawberry gets on the frosting and doesn''t look quite as pretty. I hope that makes sense!

As for the mint, I''d make sure that they like mint before going with that. I only ask b/c I don''t think that mint is a very kid-friendly flavor. Now, she''s 18 so she and her friends might really like it but it''s one of those things that not everyone likes.

Marcy, have fun at the cake decorating class!! I am taking a cupcake decorating class this weekend and am really excited!

**Sorry DandiAndi, I just saw your more recent posts! One thing you might want to do is have some strawberry cupcakes as well as some vanilla cupcakes and have strawberry frosting on both. Or you could do 1/2 vanilla cake and vanilla frosting but decorate with pink sugar or other toppers for those that might not like strawberry. I found some stencils today at a local store that I''m hoping will work for Vday. I''m going to use pink and red sugars and try to make hearts on the cupcakes. Sorry I wrote so much that doesn''t apply!!

Well, tonight I made an Apple Spice cupcake (not yet frosted). It was good!!! I recently made a Brown Sugar Choc. Chip cupcake which turned out great.

chocchipsml.JPG

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 2:17:59 PM
Author: missjaxon

Date: 2/9/2009 5:31:24 AM

9.gif

Well you can''t argue with the birthday girl! How can she not like chocolate? That is just crazy talk! lol At least now you know what she wants. Don''t forget to come back and show off those beauties.
21.gif
HA! I know!!!!!
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif

dixie I hadn''t thought of varying the shades of pink, that''s a fantastic idea!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dixie, your cupcakes look delicious.
3.gif

I frosted my cake today and pulled up crumbs pretty bad. I didn''t watch my time for how long it was out of the freezer; maybe I should just frost it right away. I was just going to leave the cake as it was but my OCD got the best of me and I mixed up more frosting to put a second layer on it. The second batch of frosting turned out a nicer shade of blue. I frosted it again and it looks better now but the frosting is not smooth. Aak. I left well enough alone though. Tips from all of you experts would be appreciated. Do I brush off crumbs? Do I frost it when it''s completely frozen? Thanks.

I also mixed up the assorted colors we need for class tomorrow night. This week I bought the big tub of icing already made instead of mixing up my own. I wil see how it works out. For the roses we are going to try tomorrow I bought the can that says it''s stiff frosting. I see they have tubes of colored icing already that your tips work on; do any of you use them? I have dye all over my hands from mixing up the different colors today so I need to pick up some gloves for that problem.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Marcy, the Cake Decorating Novice.
9.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Marcy, thanks! As to your questions, I have no idea, sorry! I no nothing about frosting cakes but I''m sure one of these ladies does. I know I''ve seen that there are tips regarding the crumbs but obviously, my memory isn''t good enough for me to repeat them to you. As for frosting, I make my own so I''m not sure about the pre-made stuff. As for using it to learn about decorating, I''m sure that''s fine. You can always make your own later, if it turns out you don''t like the taste and/or consistency of the pre-made. Good luck and post some pics if you feel like it!

DandiAndi, I found some hot pink sugar at the cake decorating store which would be really cute for your cupcakes. Take pics when you''re done!!

I''m excited about my Vday orders! I''m sure I will end up spending a lot of time experimenting with designs but it should be fun. Jas, did you make any more fondant toppers? I still haven''t tried that yet. I think I will buy some fondant after my class b/c they provide a small discount. I haven''t found any stamps or cutters to use yet b/c the ones at the store are too expensive for me!
Steph, made any cupcakes lately?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Dixie. There is no reason I can''t make my own frosting I just thought I''d try the tub of icing since I had a 40% off coupon. I don''t want to try the icing taste wise - I have a sweet tooth I don''t want to start feeding. LOL!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
...I don''t like chocolate either...

And I have had somewhere around 3-4 hours of sleep, and less than 150 calories today, otherwise I''d answer your questions Marcy. I''ll be back later if that''s ok?

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 6:48:49 PM
Author: dixie94
I no nothing about frosting cakes but I''m sure one of these ladies does.

Just wanted to say, excuse my spelling error above!!!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
40% off coupon.. that''s great! I would''ve bought the tub of icing too!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke, no worries. Eat and get some sleep. I am just beginning this so I have a LOT to learn. Whenever you get time I'd appreciate your help and tips.

Dixie, our local Micheals and Hobby Lobby have 40% off one item coupons all the time. The HL you can print out and buy something every day with them.
36.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 6:30:31 PM
Author: marcyc
3.gif

I frosted my cake today and pulled up crumbs pretty bad. I didn''t watch my time for how long it was out of the freezer; maybe I should just frost it right away. I was just going to leave the cake as it was but my OCD got the best of me and I mixed up more frosting to put a second layer on it. The second batch of frosting turned out a nicer shade of blue. I frosted it again and it looks better now but the frosting is not smooth. Aak. I left well enough alone though. Tips from all of you experts would be appreciated. Do I brush off crumbs? Do I frost it when it''s completely frozen? Thanks.
9.gif

Hi Marcyc,

I was taught to take a small portion of the frosting and *lightly* frost the cake with a thin layer. Putting frosting on cake pulls up some cake bits, so don''t fight it and allow what little crumbs pull up and stick, well, pull up and stick in this prep layer. (Obviously try keeping it to a minimum, but you know what I mean!) Then, put the scantly frosted cakes in the fridge for an hour to harden/solidify the thin layer of "protecting, crumb-sealing" of frosting; it will also cement the errant crumbs in this, err, "undergarment of frosting". Remove after an hour and frost properly with the remaining (bulk of) frosting. Voila! A frosted cake without crumbs!

f-d-l

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2009 9:18:22 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis

Date: 2/10/2009 6:30:31 PM
3.gif

9.gif

Hi Marcyc,

I was taught to take a small portion of the frosting and *lightly* frost the cake with a thin layer. Putting frosting on cake pulls up some cake bits, so don''t fight it and allow what little crumbs pull up and stick, well, pull up and stick in this prep layer. (Obviously try keeping it to a minimum, but you know what I mean!) Then, put the scantly frosted cakes in the fridge for an hour to harden/solidify the thin layer of ''protecting, crumb-sealing'' of frosting; it will also cement the errant crumbs in this, err, ''undergarment of frosting''. Remove after an hour and frost properly with the remaining (bulk of) frosting. Voila! A frosted cake without crumbs!

f-d-l
F-D-L that makes perfect sense. I will try that next time. I was looking ahead to lesson 3 and we have our choice of cupcakes or a round cake. I might try cupcakes next week. I teach a science class for a local community college. I think I am doing more homework for my cake class than they have to do for mine. LOL! Thanks for the suggestion.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
San diego --damn, i need to try one of those snickerdoodle cuppies--they are ledgendary
1.gif
maybe u can top them with a little cinnamon heart for some festive cheer

Dixie--can''t wait to see your v-day creations--i am doing heart shaped cuppies (with a dense almost brownie like consistency) and a ganache topping with white chocolate swirl . I''ll post pics later this week, i am making a new batch tonight once the baby is in bed.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, here is my first cake. My last "O" got messed up.

mccake.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy, that''s your first cake EVER?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 1:34:15 AM
Author: JulieN
marcy, that''s your first cake EVER?
Yes as far as decorating. I have baked cakes and cookies forever but have never tried to decorate something before.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 12:59:59 AM
Okay, here is my first cake. My last 'O' got messed up.
Oh wow, love it; it looks fabulous!!!
36.gif
36.gif
Looks like you are having a great time at your cake decorating class
9.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Marcy it looks great!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Marcy--that is an awesome job for your first time--heck, it is awesome even if it was your 20th time--bravo!

So, i am kinda lazy lately--i usually LUV baking but for some reason i''ve been xtra tired at night so i only finished my v-day stuff out of guilt for buying all the stuff. I am going to visit my class tomorrow ( i teach but i am on mat leave) and i promised a treat--so i was planning to do these pretty ganache brownie hearts but they were taking toooo long so i just whipped up an icing.
Here''s a pic of some of the pretty hearts which i am going to reserve for friends and some brownie/cupcakes....

heartbrownie3.jpg

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
....and the cuppies i did for the 30th b-day i went too--unfortunately i forgot to take a good picture, you can''t really see the embossed "30" but they were cute. I think they looked better in person
2.gif

30cuppie.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results