shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you use paper, plastic, or cloth grocery bags?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I heard a random fact today (sorry I don''t have the source, but I heard it from another teacher who used the fact in his speech/debate class) that I found really interesting.

So many people use plastic grocery bags. We all know it''s bad for the environment, but I''ve always justified using them by recycling the ones that don''t get reused in our house (we use them to pick up dog waste, as garbage can liners in small cans, etc.) in those bins they have at most stores. We today I heard whopping amount of money we save by recycling those plastic bags. Apparently, 1 TON of plastic bags is only worth $9! Can you imagine how many bags are needed for 1 ton?!?

It''s seriously enough to make me want to switch to those cloth bags, although it will be a bit rough since I only go to the store once every 2 weeks, so I''d need about 10 of them!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I heard that in China or Japan (can''t remember which), they finally banned plastic bags altogether.

I, and pretty much everyone I know re-uses plastic bags that come from any store. When I shopped at Trader Joe''s I had a few of their $.99 re-usable bags that I would bring with me, and I also re-used their awesome paper bags with handles.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
FI and I bought the reusable bags awhile ago, and have been using them. We love them because they carry a lot and makes the groceries easy to carry!

I do still keep plastic around (when all of our groceries don''t fit into our bags). I put them in small garbage cans, and when I scoop the cat box, the plastic bags come in handy.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I am in Ireland and a few years ago the Gov. introduced a 'plastic bag levy' it was 15cents at first but it is now 25cents I think (not sure).

We don't use plastic and bring baskets or reusable bags for shopping. It is second nature now. Actually if I forget the reusable bag I just carry the shopping out in the cart or by hand as I always have them in the boot of the car. [I bought lots of them and have a stash in both cars and at home too.*]

I think it is a great idea to reduce landfill and has certainly worked. My only gripe is that as usual our Gov. do not use the cash to further recycling or environmental issues.

* I keep one folded up in my LV also; as a just in case.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I typically use paper bags, although there are some stores that only have plastic, in which case I settle for that.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
About 70% of the time, I use the cloth grocery bags, HOWEVER, when I forget to bring them in the store, I almost always get plastic. All the plastic ones go into a paper bag and I reuse them when I clean my cat's liter box. When we're almost out of plastic bags, I will purposely ask for plastic so I can stock up.

ETA - regardless if I go to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods and get paper, or go to Top Foods and get plastic, all the bags are re-used.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 5:06:51 PM
Author: MC
About 70% of the time, I use the cloth grocery bags, HOWEVER, when I forget to bring them in the store, I almost always get plastic. All the plastic ones go into a paper bag and I reuse them when I clean my cat''s liter box. When we''re almost out of plastic bags, I will purposely ask for plastic so I can stock up.

That''s us to a T. We have about 10 reusable bags - 5 per vehicle so our entire grocery trip can be contained, but sometimes we forget them in the car, and sometimes the bags get stuck on our counter and don''t make it back to the car before they''re needed again.

For awhile, I carried a reusable target bag that zips up into a little packet for retail purchases. I really should start carrying it again.

I do wonder if reusable bags have increased shoplifting. I''d never thought about it when we first started using green bags, so at the grocery store, I had my bag and I just threw items in the bag instead of going to get a basket. Then I was stopped by an employee and asked not to put anything in the bag until the items had been paid for. I was really embarrassed. On the same vein, I''d like to use more bags like my unfoldable target one for non-grocery shopping but I''m afraid of making a scene if a store refuses to put an item in a green bag rather than one with the store logo or if I get looks like I''m trying to shoplift.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is a big sign inside a store by me that says not to put groceries into the bags until after shopping.

On a different note re: shoplifting, I believe someone shoplifted in the "self check" line. It wasn't until I was walking out of the store, I realized how someone could have done so. I walked up to the self checker and the woman who was supervising that whole section wasn't standing there. The spot I went to check my groceries had a bunch of items scanned ($43 in all) but the customer wasn't there and didn't come back. I pushed "cancel" and had to get the sales clerk's authorization once she got back (about a minute later). She clicked that and I rang up my groceries and paid. Then as I was walking out, it occured to me that if a person is ringing up their own groceries and the employee walks off, what would stop that person from grabbing their bags and walking out? Nobody would know! Kind of stupid on the store's part! (lol - I hope this doesn't sound like a weird observation. . .)

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I have some bags called Envirosax and I love them. They fold up to about the size of a prescription pill bottle, so they're super-easy to stash in my purse or pocket and I try to always have at least one with me. I also have a thermal bag from Trader Joe's for frozen stuff, when I remember to bring it. I've been really bad the past couple weeks and have used more plastic bags than I'd like, but I'm generally diligent about my reusable bags.

I do use them in some retail stores, but the clerks often give me weird looks -- more often in chain stores than boutique stores, since they probably have more codified loss-control policies. Also, if I'm only buying one or two things in a retail store and I have a large handbag, I usually tell the clerk I'll just put it in there and they're generally cool with that.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
We use plastic and recycle and reuse them.

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
in SF, they have banned plastic bags in all MAJOR grocery stores so it''s either paper or bring your own bag. some non-major stores have their own better for the environment plastic bags.
but we always bring our own bag.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I try to remember to bring my cloth ones - you kind of get dirty looks if you don''t have them in San Francisco LOL
20.gif
3.gif

I do recycle both plastic and paper when I get them in stores - the paper ones especially are popular as Ragdoll kitty toys in our house
2.gif

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
We have a bunch of the reusable bags and are getting much better at remembering to bring them into the store! If we don''t remember we always ask for paper.

However, sometimes they don''t HAVE paper, which is annoying. And then other times when I ask for paper and there is an employee bagging I''ll be busy paying for the items and not realize until they''re done that they have bagged all of the groceries in plastic... and then put them into paper bags.
33.gif
33.gif

I don''t understand people sometimes.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Wishful, geez! That''s horrible. My biggest complaint is that I''ll bring my bags and the bagger will fill all the reusable bags half way and then put one item per plastic bag and give me six of those. People seem to be getting a LOT better about that around here, though.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I use cloth now. I''ve noticed that about 60-70% of the community has switched to the re-usable cloth bags now (just my observation while standing in line). It took about 2 years, but i think ppl get it. I feel so guilty when i forget my bags. It does take a bit of time to get into the habit--for the first few months i would forget them in the car--but something has clicked now and i rarely forget.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 9:48:18 PM
Author: Elmorton
Wishful, geez! That''s horrible. My biggest complaint is that I''ll bring my bags and the bagger will fill all the reusable bags half way and then put one item per plastic bag and give me six of those. People seem to be getting a LOT better about that around here, though.
I was more than a little confused. I always do my own bagging because I can''t stand how the baggers fill them. Like you said, it''s always half full! The reusable bags are pretty hardy and can hold a loooot more than that.

It took us awhile to catch on to using the reusable bags, but I''ve noticed a lot of people around here do use them, which is nice. Plus, they''re great for toting my school books around in when I''ve got nothing else handy.
31.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t do much grocery shopping but when I do I kind of mix it up between paper or plastic. (We reuse both so I don''t just throw them away, at least!) I just can never seem to remember to bring one of the cloth bags with me. However, a lot of times if I just get a few things I skip the bag altogether and carry it to my car by hand.

My fiance does most of the shopping for us and he uses these nice cloth bags from Whole Foods. He was so excited when he got them because they''re a lot bigger and nicer than the cloth bags from the other local grocery stores. One time I took one to carry some packages to the post office and when I brought it back in the house he was like "There it is!!!" like I stole it or something! It was really funny...to me, at least!
3.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock

great thread. I have been feeling soooooo guilty about this!!!!!

We use paper bags and recycle them. BUT! We have a dog and live in an apartment. We have to pick up his poo each time and we usually reuse plastic bags to do so. We keep a drawer stocked with plastic bags for picking up poo. When the drawer gets low, we ask for plastic. But I realize that we shouldn''t be doing this! We really should be using paper towels.

I have been thinking we are going to make a change soon....

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I''d say 99.9% of my community uses plastic bags at the grocery store... us included. We re-use the bags in our small bathroom trashcans though. We''d have to use plastic bags for the trashcan either way and at least this way they are free and better for the environment. Those of you who have re-usable cloth bags for groceries... do you still buy plastic bags for your trashcans? Or is there a more environemntally friendly option? Paper is out since it leaks.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a few plastic, reusable bags and a couple of hemp ones that the stores charge £1 for. We usually remember to bring them when shopping and keep a couple in the car. When we don't remember them we either just carry stuff, if it's a very small shopping, or we stuff as much into one of the plastic grocery stores bags as we can. Paper isn't readily available in my grocery store. I wish the groceries would start charging for bags like they do in other parts of Europe. Then people really would just buy reusable ones.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Frankfurt is a really green city so they charge you for plastic bags if you forget your reusable one. I have yet to forget one- they have trained me well and when I move back to NY I intend on using my canvas ones still

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use paper and plastic because they get re-used for the trash.

I am bothered by clerks who double bag, though, or don''t fill them up enough. Guess you can''t make everyone happy.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the cloth bags. We have several for every store we go to. We have so many they are breeding I think.
41.gif
I don''t know why, but I always try to match the bags with the store I''m visiting, which is stupid really. When I take my daughter grocery shopping, she tells the cashier not to bag, she does it herself, she''s a real quick whiz at packing. They''re easier to carry and don''t roll around the back of my SUV. They hold a lot more too, so you don''t need to bring as many to the store. If we do get plastic bags, we take them back for recycling. Our garbage goes in biodegradable bags now. We recycle a lot since where we live, they only take household garbage once every two weeks, but recycling every week. Bit of a pain but it''s really reduced garbage going to landfills.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
We use both plastic and cloth, depending on what car we''re in when we buy. If we go to Target or something like that and only purchase a couple of things, I tell them I don''t need a bag. Sometimes I''ll get some odd looks, but I don''t need a bag if I can carry it without needing a handle.

Oobie,

Love your new avatar!
9.gif
Or maybe it''s not new, but it''s been a while since I''ve seen any of your posts!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I bought the cute grocery bags from our store for .99 and that''s what we use. I end up having to wash it all the time because it gets stinky but I can wash by hand and air-dry.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I use the cloth ones most of the time. I got two large insulated canvas bags for $1.99 each at the grocery store, and they are quite durable so far. I wish I could say that I was environmentally conscious, but mostly I''m just lazy. Putting a big heavy bag on my shoulder is easier for me than 6 small little plastic bags which dig into my arm, and it''s always such a pain to throw them out or recycle them cause they take up a lot of space, especially the paper ones. I forget often enough to have enough plastic ones leftover to line my bathroom trashcan and to pack up the chicken bones or whatever so they don''t cut the regular trash bag.

tenfour

Shiny_Rock
always cloth. if i am out and need to stop for something and forget my bag, i will carry an item out in my hands instead. no plastic ever!!

the only plastic i use is for dog poop. the bags are small, biodegradable, vanilla scented, and $1 for 48 of them at the dollar store.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
he does the grocery shopping and always comes home with plastic. we reuse them though. i use 3 bags all inside each other per litter box cleaning (so the trash guys dont gag).

we dont get paper because they dont do a recycle pick up here and the nearest place to take it is 40 minutes away so they pile up and never get taken

the store doesnt even offer the cloth ones. i guess going green hasnt made it to this area yet

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
We use the cloth bags, unless we forget them at home
40.gif
, and then we use plastic (which we save and re-use for other things). I love the cloth bags and they actually cut down on the number of bags you need. We might use 6-8 plastic bags for the same amount of groceries that fit in 3 cloth bags, so it also has the advantage of making it faster/easier to get groceries out to the car and into the house. I think paper has the same advantage, but without handles I find it nearly impossible to carry more than one at a time if I need to open any doors on the way into the house.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Wishful, I worked in a grocery store when I was 15 and you have no idea how many people would ask for paper and plastic together
20.gif
. Of course, I couldn''t say anything to them about it, but I sure wanted to!
14.gif
Many would also get double paper bags, which was not only extremely annoying for the cashier/bagger, but not all that environmentally friendly.

We always do the self-checkout and bag things ourselves because, thanks to my year of bagging experience, I think I use many less bags and am much more efficient than the people who work in our grocery store
2.gif
They don''t pack nearly as much stuff in the cloth bags and always run over into plastic ones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results