shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else have a Domestic boyfriend?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
I''m just curious...does anyone have a boyfriend who seems more "domestic" then they are?

My boyfriend loves to cooks, keeps his apartment spotless, does his laundry on a schedule. He loves children, and says when the time is right he''d love to be a father. And, on top of that, he''s the one that wants us to be engaged, and I''m the one who wants to put it off.

Does anyone else have this role reversal? I have to admit, it''s pretty adorable.
1.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I do. Although I do most of the cooking (I think he just loves the way I cook) he does most everything else. Usually when he gets home he straightens the house and when I get home, Ill start dinner. Weekends, I do a heavy cleaning of the bathroom and he cleans the rest (windows, floors, fridge, etc). As for laundry, I don't mind doing laundry, actually its calming, in a weird way. However, he usually does it because he gets home earlier than I do, so he'll just start it. The only thing he hates to do is put the laundry away, so I do it
1.gif

With our puppy, my BF is the one who makes her food (we have her on the raw food diet)...which is okay with me, since I don't love cutting up chicken bones and what have you. To be honest, one of the reasons I knew he was going to be my husband was just seeing him with our dog. I joke that he'd take her over me any day...lol. Really, I just love watching them interact. He's supremely attentive, cautious, loving and loves to take her out and play. I know he'll be, at the very least, an attentive father with our future children.

I love having a BF more on the domesticated side. Beats having one like my brother who's a total pig and leaves everything everywhere! lol

ETA: I mean FI!!!! ((sorry))
12.gif
5.gif

KatM

Shiny_Rock
not at all, but i can see him trying. it''s cute actually, the way that he proudly shows off the newly scrubbed bathtub (he was especially proud that he figure out which products to use. Ajax is great!, lol) It''s how i can see his brain make the settlingdown=good transition.

CheshireSmile

Shiny_Rock
BF and I have a somewhat split personality of domesticity - I love to cook and do so nearly every day for us, and he's the cleaner; he's very neat and organized in a way that I will never be. He's always willing to cook, and I always help with the cleaning, but it just works better otherwise.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is! It''s funny, because I''m such a Martha Stewart type that I wouldn''t mind a non-domestic guy, but it''s nice when B decides to cook. He makes banana bread that''s better than my grandmother''s! He''s also cleaner than I am, which I didn''t realize was possible.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I do! FI does the bulk of the cooking around the house. I have to admit that I not a clean freak, but I am not a slob either. However, I AM extremely LAZY!

I''ve had a cleaning lady for a long, long time. When I moved in, FI took all of the cooking, but resisted the cleaning lady for about two months. I couldn''t stand it anymore and found another cleaning lady (closer to his house) on my dime. So, technically, I am responsible for maintaining the house clean.
2.gif

In between cleanings, I have no problem picking up the broom and dustpan, and we usually trade off doing laundry. I am not going to fight with him about the house and how messy it is (especially with 2 boys!), but I firmly believe that she is worth every penny since I don''t have to scrub the toilets or the bathtubs.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve always said that my BF is tidy and dirty and I''m messy and clean. He loves having everything in its place. His desk is spotless with things that can only in their specified drawers and file folders for everything! My home office is the exact opposite and my BF can''t even go in there because he says it stresses him out. I''m clean in the fact that I hate dust, crumbs on the counter, stains, smudges, etc. and will scrub constantly to get rid of it all. Half the time my BF doesn''t even notice what I''m scrubbing!!

We have two totally different cleaning styles. I am a daily maintenance kind of girl so you''ll see me doing some sort of cleaning everyday. He''s the type of guy who will clean EVERYTHING at once if he has to clean at all. If I ask him to do one thing (e.g. clean the bathroom), he''ll want to clean the entire condo...windows and everything. We''ve divvied up the chores pretty well...he does the dishes, vacuuming and hard scrubbing stuff. I cook, dust, clean the floors, empty the dishwasher and do the laundry. I''d like to think I''ve played a large part in his domestication!!!
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish! I''m more domestic, but barely. Neither of us are that great with cleaning (I''m great with cooking though, IMHO
2.gif
) so it''s a struggle to keep our apartment looking acceptable
3.gif

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I did, but he had teenagers instead of young children who go behind me and mess up the house. He was really good at keeping house, but couldn''t commit worth a crap!
9.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had a cleaning lady for a long, long time. When I moved in, FI took all of the cooking, but resisted the cleaning lady for about two months. I couldn''t stand it anymore and found another cleaning lady (closer to his house) on my dime. So, technically, I am responsible for maintaining the house clean.
2.gif
Haha I do too! When we bought our house it was "you do the outside ie: mowing grass, landscaping, etc and I get the inside" only I hired a cleaning lady lol. He says its cheating, but hey, if I''m paying for her, then im still "handling" it arent I???

My SO is great when it comes to being domestic, and I had no idea how great he would be until we moved in together. He does his only laundry, cleans up after himself, and has since he gets home from work before I do....he has dinner ready when I get home. All I need to do is the dishes.

I have so many friends that live with their bf''s and are constantly complaining about him making a mess, taking care of everything themselves, etc. that I have quickly realized how lucky I am! :) So even though he may be a little more domestic than you, I wouldnt worry about it!
1.gif

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Um yes.. definitely.

He''s totally obsessed with cleaning and clearing "clutter" to the point where I sometimes tell him he has a sickness.

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
I definitely don''t have a "domestic" boy... he''s an everyday slob... I however can get him to do "domestic" stuff! Like last night we put away all the Christmas stuff and he vacuumed the floor :) I don''t really have difficultly with it as I love to do everything... except laundry...yuck... so he does most of that, but doesn''t fold so it ends up sitting on top of the dryer until we wear it... yeah yeah... I know... I should make a new years resolution to fix that... and our place is so small that you can get behind in just a day if nothing is done...

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm I did, he was incredible! ask me now...it all changed [50%] after the ''I do''
38.gif

chocolatefudge

Shiny_Rock
My SO is very domesticated! I''ve come home from work tonight and our whole house is spotless and sparkly! Everything had been cleaned and tidied away (including a pile of my clothes from side of bed) and the washing machine had a load in. He had gone out to football training when I got home but just wanted to give him a hug!
Oh- just to add, it was his day off work today which is how he had time to do all this.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
My BF isn''t a slob any means, but unfortunately, I am a super-neat freak. I get it from my mom, who totally understands me on this, since my dad is the same (you know...get home, take off shoes - house rule in my house and my parents'' house - then take off socks and throw them somewhere...).

Usually it''s okay, but the worst is during exam period. I''m the type where if the house is messy or the desk is cluttered, I can''t study. Seriously, I think my mind can''t be organized if my surroundings aren''t either. He, on the other hand, hates dealing with cleaning up when he''s studying... We split the dining table during exams, and his side is covered in paper, books, etc. and mine is neat and the books and papers are in stacks.

We need a bigger apartment, or a separate exam-study-room I think!
3.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
He likes to keep his place clean. He tells me once married, he will do his own laundry (which he does now as well) Sometimes he likes to make little meals but that's what I usually always do. Though, he will help me from time to time. He thinks daily chores should be shared equally. That's about it...

I think he's better at cleaning than I am. However, he takes forever to clean because it has to be done 'just right.' I HATE cleaning with a passion but I'm not messy at all. I just hate doing it.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 6:02:13 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
My BF isn''t a slob any means, but unfortunately, I am a super-neat freak. I get it from my mom, who totally understands me on this, since my dad is the same (you know...get home, take off shoes - house rule in my house and my parents'' house - then take off socks and throw them somewhere...).

Usually it''s okay, but the worst is during exam period. I''m the type where if the house is messy or the desk is cluttered, I can''t study. Seriously, I think my mind can''t be organized if my surroundings aren''t either. He, on the other hand, hates dealing with cleaning up when he''s studying... We split the dining table during exams, and his side is covered in paper, books, etc. and mine is neat and the books and papers are in stacks.

We need a bigger apartment, or a separate exam-study-room I think!
3.gif

I''m the exact same way! I can''t study when it''s messy! If I sit down and try, I immediately get back up and clean for 2 hours. I just CAN''T put it aside.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
My husband is, he does most of the cooking, washes up, does the laundry and the hoovering. He''s a gem.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes! I''m not at all domestic but he is, I come home every night to dinner on the table I love it!

Prinny

Rough_Rock
Mine is definitley domestic!

He loves to cook for me, although I cook most of the time because I don''t work.

He was raised doing chores and cleaning up after himself so he''s very neat and tidy and does most of the cleaning.
36.gif

I was raised with my mom doing absolutely everything for me, so I''m lazy and not very neat at all.
27.gif

We have lived together for about 4 years and I can honestly say I think in those 4 years I''ve done laundry maybe 3 times!!!

It''s crazy I know, my friends always tease me but I feel pretty lucky
30.gif

He used to compare us to Nick and Jessica from Newlyweds because Jessica was a slob and Nick was a neat freak....but we''ve lasted longer than them
9.gif

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
That''s fun that other people''s boyfriends are like that...talking to my friends, they seem to think its the weirdest thing ever. They''ve suggested everything from metrosexual, beyond (but I do know for a fact he is not gay
3.gif
It seems I''ve really lucked out, and I''m glad other people have to!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
My dad is very domestic! He loves kids (was a pediatrician), loves Oprah and HGtv, loves to garden and shop and decorate, and he sends his kids care packages with candy and stickers! He''s super adorable! He did my hair and my sister''s hair when we were growing up, and we got constant compliments. He is also a very good cook.

SO, not so much.

I sometimes wonder how some men function without mothers or wives.
20.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 7:48:38 AM
Author: AllieGator
That''s fun that other people''s boyfriends are like that...talking to my friends, they seem to think its the weirdest thing ever. They''ve suggested everything from metrosexual, beyond (but I do know for a fact he is not gay
3.gif
It seems I''ve really lucked out, and I''m glad other people have to!
Nah, I don''t see that as being metrosexual...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Yes, my boyfriend is the domestic one and keeps the household running. He cooks all our meals (I am a horrible cook), does our laundry, and cleans the house. He actually loves cooking so much that he took a cooking course and really enjoyed it. My role was to buy him the nicest cookware I could get my hands on :) I don't know what I would do without him. I would probably starve to death and live in a dump.

I think it was mentioned above. This has to do a lot with upbringing. My boyfriend was bought up with a very domesticated mom who made sure he played a part in cooking and cleaning the house. I was bought up as a lazy spoiled brat where there was always someone cleaning and cooking.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
No, but he is trying so, so hard to help out around the apartment (doing the dishes, the laundry, picking up groceries we need, and sometimes cooking too), which is just too cute. I'm training him well.
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been married a long, long time, but I am very fortunate to have a husband who likes to cook and also cleans the kitchen. He is a little OCD..if there is a glass sitting in the sink, he immediately puts it in the dishwasher. He goes grocery shopping on Saturday and cooks on the weekend. I cook more during the week because I get home much earlier than he does. He also takes care of the outside, cars, etc. I have always had a maid every other week to do the heavy cleaning because I hate cleaning. I do most of the laundry. I think it works really well. I can''t imagine having a husband who did nothing domestically. Of course, my Dad was that way. He couldn''t boil water!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
FFI is great around the house. He is always getting in my way cleaning up things after me even when I am in the middle of doing them. It does get irritating. He is a neatfreak (no pun intended).

He does not cook however, lets say civilization is much better for it!!
2.gif
He knows he cannot cook so I don''t feel bad for writing it out on here. :)

I cook and do laundry, its actually pretty even....if we have something in the washer he will throw it in the dryer..etc...

i cook, he cleans up. Its a sweet deal. :)

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My husband cooks, cleans, does his own laundry, grocery shops, pays the bills. I cook, clean, join him on an occasional grocery store trip, do my laundry. He works from home, which means he has the time and flexibility to maintain the house during the day, I''d have to do it all after work, so we have found a good balance for us. He''s as far from feminine, or metrosexual, as one could imagine. He''s just an extremely self-sufficient, responsible person. Lucky me!

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
Yes and no.

Mine is certainly pickier about the cleanliness of the house.... but if he cleans the house, he CHEATS. HE THROWS EVERYTHING UNDER THE BED or in a closet!
29.gif
Cleaning together goes like this:

Husband: *walks through the house cleaning; floor looks spotless*
Me: *walks back through and pulls everything out from under the bed and opens all of the closets; tons of old papers, broken appliances, and miscellaneous items that were on the floor when he went through pour out* ....
29.gif
THIS. IS NOT. HOW YOU CLEAN. A HOUSE! THIS IS CHEATING.
Husband: NOW THE HOUSE IS DIRTY AGAIN!
Me: It was dirty even when you "cleaned" it because all you did was shove everything in a closet!!
Husband: BUT IT LOOKED BETTER!
Me: JUST! GO OUT IN THE GARAGE OR SOMETHING AND LET ME DO THIS.
29.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yes, he wants the house clean. But he can't be trusted to do it. And he tries to do laundry but he really does not understand the rules to washing clothes. No, you don't put those in hot water. No, those can't go together. No, you can't use that setting. Nooo that is way too much soap. No, you don't fold towels that way.

9.gif
Oh, but... I can't help but love him anyway. And he does cook wonderfully.
1.gif
[He's my personal trainer and health-food chef.]

PrincessLily2009

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend likes to cook, and he irons ALL his clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results