shape
carat
color
clarity

Let''s play Pick a Pup!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t say enough about boxers. I''ve had 4 in my life (and a pit bull) and they all shared similar traits mentioned above: they are goofy, loving, loyal pets who''s sole purpose in life is to please their people. I think I was 5 when my parents got me my first boxer and she was my best friend in the world. My husband and I just adopted a new boxer and this is the first dog we''ve had together. It took me a while to convince him to get a dog and he is totally in love. They are short haired dogs who I think are very clean... my baby girl actually sulks when she gets dirty and hates getting her paws messy. She''s my little prissy girl!

R6.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the site, LV. There were only a few within a 60 mile radius, and those were hunting dogs (actual hunters). But, I did find a link from there that indicated there is an upstarting rescue group around 45 miles from here. I like the idea of rescuing a dog that needs a home more than getting a pup that is easily loved. So, maybe over the next few months as the shelter grows, they''ll have more dogs available.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2008 4:28:29 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Thanks for the site, LV. There were only a few within a 60 mile radius, and those were hunting dogs (actual hunters). But, I did find a link from there that indicated there is an upstarting rescue group around 45 miles from here. I like the idea of rescuing a dog that needs a home more than getting a pup that is easily loved. So, maybe over the next few months as the shelter grows, they'll have more dogs available.
Great! A lot of times rescue groups will pull dogs from other shelters too. My beagle mix (in my avatar) came from a high kill shelter in GA. A few volunteers at the GA shelter send out pleading e-mails each week, begging for a rescue group to take some of their dogs, and often momma dogs and puppies. I'm on their distribution list and saw her pic, so sent them an e-mail and they told me about a rescue group in my area that has "pullled" from their shelter before, and within a few weeks she was on transport up here. We paid her transport and vet costs. The GA shelter does not adopt direclty to individuals out of state, which is why we had to get the local rescue group to pull and arrange transport for us.

When you say working dogs, I think of lurchers, which are hunting dogs that are bred with greyhounds for speed. These are such gorgeous dogs and make great pets. At the end of the hunting season each year, there are thousands that get put down. Do you know if you have lurchers in your area? If yes, a greyhound rescue group might be able to help you adopt one of these dogs because they are often called to take these dogs in from shelters, but cannot because they are already at/above capacity with greyhounds.

At the risk of seeming stalker-ish, I noticed you are in IL from your other post. Here's a list of greyhound rescues in IL: http://www.easy-finder.com/ghound/illinois.htm Maybe there's one in your area, that's not necessarily listed as an organization on petfinder.

ETA: There's a pic of a lurcher pup in this link: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php? showtopic=210453&hl=lurcher

Greytalk.com is also a great forum for learning more about greyhounds. I do think that one might fit your lifestyle quite well, but I realize they are not for everyone.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
i would be careful around boxers and rodesions (no offense to owners on here) Both are highly active and could accidently hurt a small child. Rodessions aree actually said to not like really like children b/c they were breed to be big game hunters in africa and so same children are about the size of teh game that they were breed to hunt and chase. Please do not get offended....I"m the BIGGEST dog lover, and have known god and bad dogs of lots of breeds. Small dogs sound like good ideas with children, but often time children can accidently hurt them. PLus if the child scares the dog he may snap and nip more than a more secure bigger dog.

I''ve only met a few, but a golden doodle (cross between golden retreiver and poodle) may be a good breed for you. Goldens are known for a very laid back attitude generally and when crossed with a poodle helps cut down on the allergies and sheding problem. They are sturdy dogs without being huge, they are much smaller than you think under all that fluff.

You said you''ve had had different types of hunting dogs that were used for hunting, thats great...those breeds are happiest when they get to hunt and not as pets.

I love, love, my cavalier king charles spaniel, but they need a lot of attention, and while they can sleep in a crate, he would feel banished if made to sleep floors away from you.

Getting a dog with a child is great for both. Whatever you do make sure that the dog and the child have respect for each other. Don''t be afraid to scold/punish either for improper behaviors. I grew up with a pit bull that was sweet as pie, but she growled once when I jumped on her at like 3 years old while she was sleeping(neither of us knew any better) and we both got in a lot of trouble, which is the way it needs to be no matter what breed.

Good luck!
p.s. if you can go to a shelter and really play with a dog of a couple of weeks a rescue dog/mutt may be the best way to go...they are often the best most even tempered laid back dogs ever!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh, I see the link didn''t work. Here''s the pic I was referencing. Cutest little girl!

lurcher girl puppy.jpg

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2008 4:46:05 PM
Author: lala2332
i would be careful around boxers and rodesions (no offense to owners on here) Both are highly active and could accidently hurt a small child. Rodessions aree actually said to not like really like children b/c they were breed to be big game hunters in africa and so same children are about the size of teh game that they were breed to hunt and chase. Please do not get offended....I'm the BIGGEST dog lover, and have known god and bad dogs of lots of breeds. Small dogs sound like good ideas with children, but often time children can accidently hurt them. PLus if the child scares the dog he may snap and nip more than a more secure bigger dog.

I've only met a few, but a golden doodle (cross between golden retreiver and poodle) may be a good breed for you. Goldens are known for a very laid back attitude generally and when crossed with a poodle helps cut down on the allergies and sheding problem. They are sturdy dogs without being huge, they are much smaller than you think under all that fluff.

You said you've had had different types of hunting dogs that were used for hunting, thats great...those breeds are happiest when they get to hunt and not as pets.

I love, love, my cavalier king charles spaniel, but they need a lot of attention, and while they can sleep in a crate, he would feel banished if made to sleep floors away from you.

Getting a dog with a child is great for both. Whatever you do make sure that the dog and the child have respect for each other. Don't be afraid to scold/punish either for improper behaviors. I grew up with a pit bull that was sweet as pie, but she growled once when I jumped on her at like 3 years old while she was sleeping(neither of us knew any better) and we both got in a lot of trouble, which is the way it needs to be no matter what breed.

Good luck!
p.s. if you can go to a shelter and really play with a dog of a couple of weeks a rescue dog/mutt may be the best way to go...they are often the best most even tempered laid back dogs ever!
I have to disagree with that statement. Greyhounds (Galgos) are used in Spain for hunting, and I could not imagine a dog that enjoys being a pet more than a greyhound. Beagles and many, many other breeds of dog are also used for hunting, and although they may require a lot of exercise, they no less enjoy being pets than any other dog. "Hunting" dogs are typically discarded by hunters after their usefulness ceases, but that doesn't mean they would not make a great pet to someone else.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Shiny...I totally get it. I understand and think it's great that you're trying to get advice on types of dogs that would suit you. I do think that's great. What I'm responding to is just more of a general vibe that I picked up from your thread and some statements you made. You of course know yourself more than what I could from a single post, but again, I'm just not feeling like you actually want a pet...not just a dog, a pet. (the whole facial laceration thing, the whole concrete floor thing in an unfinished room thing, the whole manage on its own thing, the whole accident thing).

I guess I'm the only one who picked up on that by the looks of the thread so maybe it's just my own perception. I have been around dogs too and had a dog back in high school, but that's not going to make me a good candidate for a dog no matter what type of dog it is. Working with animals is also a lot different than welcoming one into your home as a beloved pet.... Just my 2 cents, so take them for what they're worth...For the record, I don't want a stinky dog or acciddents either, and that's why I am sticking to cats
41.gif

Love the doggies all! I have to say that I have a soft spot for greyhounds!!!! I hear they make the best lap dogs and couch cuddlers and are actually lazy! What beautiful bling she is sporting too!

My neighbor just got a rottie and I have to say I'm scared of that thing!!!

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
sorry...I've been raised around american hunting dogs, like setters, pointers, and large spaniels, and the few people I know that have them as just pets are often worn out by them. My family hunts with these types of dogs and they run and run and run and want to run some more. I can't imagine someone with a small child would have the energy and time to keep a dog that needs so much physical activity happy. And when a dog has too much contained energy they become destructive and that leaves everyone unhappy.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
MMM~ I do appreciate your input. Like I said in my first post, " trying to figure out IF" we are ready for a dog. As far as the "facial laceration" thing, that was my attempt at humor
38.gif
. When you have a hunting dog, obviously they're trained to go after game. And, as someone else mentioned, children are generally the same size. Also, when you have a hunter, you usually don't feed him the day he hunts (kind of a way to hone his senses) so if a child has a cookie, obviously the dog is going to want that. The concrete floor in an unfinished room-it's actually a family room that has a large rug, chairs, TV, toys, etc. The floor is concrete and there isn't a "ceiling" but I don't think that has any ill-bearing on an animal. Managing on his own and not having an accident was meant for when I have to go get groceries or visit my mom or something. I don't want a dog that will whine and pee all over the house when I have to leave. Cats are definitely out for us. I'm more allergic to them!

LV~ I don't know if there are "lurchers" in my area. That's the first time I've heard that term. And, you're right about work dogs getting put down when they're not useful. I've seen many of my own put down for those reasons. But, I don't know that those dogs would be happy if they weren't working. And, I don't know how you'd take the "hunter" out of them to be around kids.

I think if we decide to get a dog, our best bet would be to get an adult dog that has proven to be good around children and that we get along well with.

Cute pics btw!

eta~ lala, thanks for your experience with hunters as pets. That's what I was afraid would be the case.

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
I am a bit distressed. Dogs want nothing more than to be loved by their human families. I have serious concerns about a dog confined to a basement. To me that defeats the purpose of having a dog. A dog is a loving, giving creature who needs to be a part of the family. I have knowb dogs who needed tobe crated for safety or training for short peirods of time but I can assure you that while some dogs may get used to it, no dog would be happy spending most of his time in a box in your basement.

I think others'' advice to think about this commitment is sage.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
apsara~ I didn''t mean to imply that the dog would be confined to the basement. The only time the dog would be in the basement (without us) would be for sleeping.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 94.05%; HEIGHT: 373px">Date: 12/9/2008 5:26:21 PM
MMM~ I do appreciate your input. Like I said in my first post, '' trying to figure out IF'' we are ready for a dog. As far as the ''facial laceration'' thing, that was my attempt at humor
38.gif
. When you have a hunting dog, obviously they''re trained to go after game. And, as someone else mentioned, children are generally the same size. Also, when you have a hunter, you usually don''t feed him the day he hunts (kind of a way to hone his senses) so if a child has a cookie, obviously the dog is going to want that. The concrete floor in an unfinished room-it''s actually a family room that has a large rug, chairs, TV, toys, etc. The floor is concrete and there isn''t a ''ceiling'' but I don''t think that has any ill-bearing on an animal. Managing on his own and not having an was meant for when I have to go get groceries or visit my mom or something. I don''t want a dog that will whine and pee all over the house when I have to leave. Cats are definitely out for us. I''m more allergic to them!

LV~ I don''t know if there are ''lurchers'' in my area. That''s the first time I''ve heard that term. And, you''re right about work dogs getting put down when they''re not useful. I''ve seen many of my own put down for those reasons. But, I don''t know that those dogs would be happy if they weren''t working. And, I don''t know how you''d take the ''hunter'' out of them to be around kids.

I think if we decide to get a dog, our best bet would be to get an dog that has proven to be good around children and that we get along well with.

Cute pics btw!

eta~ lala, thanks for your experience with hunters as pets. That''s what I was afraid would be the case.
you should def. crate train your dog, it makes them so much happier when you have to leave b/c they fell safe and secure in their "house" (thats what we call Winston''s crate) We always give him treats when he goes in when we leave and their are even times when he kicks us out of the house by getting in his crate and givig us a look that says go already.

Crate training also helps with potty training b/c dogs do not want to soil their sleeping area. If you decide to get a dog look into Petsmart or similar training classes, they meet once a week for ten weeks and are about $100. They really help not only help you to bond with the dog, but to socialize and interact with other dogs and strangers. PLus knowing other new dog owners are going through the same things you are is nice.
Winston passed puppy class with flying colors and now we are going to do teh intermediate training b/c we love teaching him new things and working on a new skill keeps the dog alert thinking.

A three year old may still be young for a dog, maybe wait until he is 5 and in kindergarten so that he can partake in training classes and taking care of the dog...refilling his water dish or something small. This will also give you lots of time to decide breed and which breeder.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
lala~ thanks for the advice. Both dogs I''ve had (as an adult) were crate trained. But, there crates were next to my bed. The dog training I''ve done was either for "working" purposes or for 4-H (assorted commands and running to be performed), so I''m glad to see there may be other options.

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 5:28:59 PM
apsara~ I didn''t mean to imply that the dog would be confined to the basement. The only time the dog would be in the basement (without us) would be for sleeping.
Still not an optimum situation. Why can''t the dog sleep on a dog bed in someone''s bedroom or in the living quarters?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 4:46:05 PM
Author: lala2332
i would be careful around boxers and rodesions (no offense to owners on here) Both are highly active and could accidently hurt a small child. Rodessions aree actually said to not like really like children b/c they were breed to be big game hunters in africa and so same children are about the size of teh game that they were breed to hunt and chase. Please do not get offended....I''m the BIGGEST dog lover, and have known god and bad dogs of lots of breeds. Small dogs sound like good ideas with children, but often time children can accidently hurt them. PLus if the child scares the dog he may snap and nip more than a more secure bigger dog.

I''ve only met a few, but a golden doodle (cross between golden retreiver and poodle) may be a good breed for you. Goldens are known for a very laid back attitude generally and when crossed with a poodle helps cut down on the allergies and sheding problem. They are sturdy dogs without being huge, they are much smaller than you think under all that fluff.

You said you''ve had had different types of hunting dogs that were used for hunting, thats great...those breeds are happiest when they get to hunt and not as pets.

Getting a dog with a child is great for both. Whatever you do make sure that the dog and the child have respect for each other. Don''t be afraid to scold/punish either for improper behaviors. I grew up with a pit bull that was sweet as pie, but she growled once when I jumped on her at like 3 years old while she was sleeping(neither of us knew any better) and we both got in a lot of trouble, which is the way it needs to be no matter what breed.

Good luck!
Highly active!? I had to snort at that! Haha - nothing could be further from the truth for my dog or any of the hundreds of Rhodesians I know. Heehee! I''ve got to disagree with pretty much everything you said here about Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I certainly am not taking offense since most of your information is false.
28.gif
Where did you get your information - I''m curious? About the only thing you have correct is that the breed was *originally* bred for big game (i.e. lion) hunting. My feline hunter lets the cat eat out of his dinner dish first! If you''ll do some research, you''ll see that everything you find about them says that they''re ideal for families with children...As long as they have proper training. Just like with any dog...Small or large. Also, just some fyi, lala - the breed is spelled Rhodesian.

Somethingshiny - here are a few links that might help. They not only talk about the Rhodesian, but, also decisions to make before getting any dog.

http://www.ridgebackrescue.org/what_is_an_rr.html

http://www.rrcus.org/

Here''s a fun dog breed selector at Animal Planet. http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do Maybe you can find out what kind of dog can fit into your family! IF, you get one!
28.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Because I don't believe in having a child with a dog in an unmonitored situation. Our little guy would love to go cuddle up to the dog in the morning before we're awake. Also, we have a really small house, there would be no room in the living quarters.

I understand what your opinion is. But, please try to understand mine. We want a dog. I'm allergic and a little leary due to our past instances. That doesn't mean that we won't provide a good home and family for a dog, just not the home or family you would provide.

eta~ Miranda, thanks for the links. I'm off to peruse....

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
On the animal planet site, the top matches were shepherds, corgis, and Rhodesian, closely followed by dalmation, pointer, and setter.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 8:47:07 PM
On the animal planet site, the top matches were shepherds, corgis, and Rhodesian, closely followed by dalmation, pointer, and setter.
Isn''t that site fun? I don''t know how accurate it is, but, my kids love it!

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Something
I get where you want to crate your dog at night (if my little love bug has a nightmare he has the tendency to pee on the bed or on any furniture he is on). However the crate is right by my bed just incase of an emergency. It is not a place to put the dog until you want to play with them.
I have had in the past Bloodhound, Pit Bull Mastiff mix, beagles and a German Sheppard. I have to say I am dumfounded by what you and Lala says about working dogs. My husband is a cop and our best friend is decorated K-9 officer. Cato is the ideal working dog (a Belgian Malinios), but when at home is a wonderful dog with the kids (3, 9 and 12).
Also the other breeds I stated above where rescues and between 2-9 years old, each one a working breed and abused (starving until a hunt, beat if it had not preformed well). Each one became the happiest couch loving butt there ever was.
I currently have a 1 year old 30 pound malti-poo mix mutt. His name is Darby and is a rescue. He is wonderful with my 5 year old son, and is very smart. None shedding and no smell to him (unless he has found something to roll in). I drove 2 ½ hours to work with the rescue to adopt him.
I have to back up the others and say that Boxers and Ridgebacks are wonderful dogs also!!!

dadada.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Macie~ thanks for the info. I honestly don''t know the first thing about K-9 dogs. I understand that they (along with sight helpers etc) are working dogs and are also pets. But, from my experience, the working dogs were only working dogs. That may just be the way it is for hunters or something. I hadn''t considered a malti-poo, but the happy gentle nature would suit us.

Gullfoss

Rough_Rock
We have two dogs and one is a pointer. She is the sweetest thing and loves kids. She is also very laid back. This is the second pointer I've had. We had one when I was a kid and she was just the sweetest thing too. Pointers do make good family pets and have a good disposition. She is also easy to groom and low maintainace.

Our dogs are uber spoiled though. We let them sleep in our bed.
9.gif

Edited to add that both of the Pointers have been afraid of guns and other loud noises. Our first one was missing for a week because my dad shot a gun and she was so spooked she ran. She was found and turned into the local animal shelter.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Something shiney, I''m not sure if they are as popular in the US, but we had a boarder collie cross the whole time I was growing up.
She was fantastic - as was short hair, not much shedding at all. Very smart and quick to train, friendly, not too over protective, but still barked at intruders etc.
She was great with my two sisters and I when we were little - and man she put up with alot, lol. Some of the photos I could show you of us man-handling her
5.gif

I completely *get* what you''re saying about working dogs and independence - as you''re probably aware, Australia is home to working dogs of all sorts, and boarder collies are used as sheep dogs.
I don''t recall her being needy much at all - of course she loved affection and all, but she also knew her place - which I think is important.
FWIW, she was also an outside/laundry/garage dog for most of her life - my dad would never let a dog sleep in the house, let alone our beds ! And she did just fine, lived a happy and healthy life to 12/13 yrs old.

Here is a pic from another thread of her as a puppy. I''m not sure what she was mixed with, sorry.

T&R%20scan%201.JPG

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
arjunajan~ Thanks. I was beginning to feel like I was a creep or something! We didn''t have dogs in the house much when I was growing up so I thought I was pretty "with it" to have the dog in the house for the most part (even if it sleeps in the basement).

How do you keep your collie busy? I think dogs bred for work are happier if they have some work to do.?

One of my favorite dogs is a Red Heeler. He''ll run up to you and jump right up into your arms! (if you give him the command of course) I''ve actually been thinking about that breed as well.

super cute pic!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 12:27:37 AM
arjunajan~ Thanks. I was beginning to feel like I was a creep or something! We didn't have dogs in the house much when I was growing up so I thought I was pretty 'with it' to have the dog in the house for the most part (even if it sleeps in the basement).

How do you keep your collie busy? I think dogs bred for work are happier if they have some work to do.?

One of my favorite dogs is a Red Heeler. He'll run up to you and jump right up into your arms! (if you give him the command of course) I've actually been thinking about that breed as well.

super cute pic!
Hey there - I'm sure its just different communities and what ppl are used to. I think due to the working/farming history thing ppl are more used to it here, but that said the "designer dog" and doggy fashion etc are also catching on big time here now!

Unfortunately Trixie passed away a couple yrs ago. But she basically just needed a walk each day like a normal dog, she loovveed the old chase the ball , and maybe the beach every now and then..nothing too strenuous. My mum loved her dearly and took care of most of her needs, including exercice and grooming. But I also recall her not being smelly, pretty much rarely to never.

I completely understand the smelly dog thing - that is one of my major turn-offs in dogs, lol !
I think she could have maybe had german shepherd mix or similiar, but I don't think we ever found out. I'm a big believer in getting mixed breeds, for all the obvious reasons.

Blue and red heeler and also gorgeous !

Thankyou - that pic is, wow - probably over 15years old. She is with our big 'ol guinea pig, Roger..pair of characters together, lol..
3.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m a big fan of the mixed breed too for the same reasons. It''s good to know that collies aren''t known for being smelly.

It''s so funny that the guinea pig is almost as big as her!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I will put in my 2 cents on the boxer breed and children. I grew up next door to a family that owned a boxer named Brittany. When they moved in we ranged from infant to six years old in age. That dog was the BEST. We never had a bad experience with her and I have loved boxers ever since.
1.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input, redfaerythinker!
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I ask why you want a dog?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''m in front of the firing squad now!
2.gif

DH and I both think it''s important to raise children with pets. We think it helps a child learn appreciation for others, responsibility, respect, dedication, and compassion. And, of course, it''s the best demonstration of true loyalty and love to another.

There''s just something so wonderful about a child who has a dog pal.

We last had a dog almost 4 years ago and we had to give her up because we moved to a rental property that didn''t allow dogs. Although she was nuts, we both miss having that little furball follow us around.

I''m not going to say we want a dog because we have so much love, yada yada yada. I will not be a dog''s "mom". I truly see having a dog as having a pet not a baby.

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
Hmm... yes kids that have a dog pal are heartwarming and all, but what if your son has no interest in the dog whatsoever? Then that just defeated the purpose of you getting a dog. And unfortunately, you are essentially the only family the dog will have, so in a way, you are it''s mommy. Anyone who says a dog is "just a pet" or "just a dog" I think will eat their words sometime. No one will show you the unconditional love a dog can. I think this quote explains it pretty well....
From time to time, people tell me,
"lighten up, it''s just a dog,"or, "that''s a lot of money for just a dog.
"They don''t understand the distance traveled,
the time spent, or the costs involved for"just a dog."
Some of my proudest moments have come about with
"just a dog."
Many hours have passed and my only company was
"just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.
Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by
"just a dog,"
and in those days of darkness,
the gentle touch of "just a dog"
gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.
If you, too, think it''s "just a dog,"
then you will probably understand phases
like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or
"just a promise."
"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence
of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.
"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and
patience that make me a better person.
Because of "just a dog" I will rise early,
take long walks and look longingly to the future.
So for me and folks like me, it''s not "just a dog"
but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams
of the future, the fond memories of the past,
and the pure joy of the moment.
"Just a dog" brings out what''s good in me and
diverts my thoughts away from myself and the
worries of the day.
I hope that someday they can understand that
it''s not "just a dog"
but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps
me from being "just a man."
So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog."
just smile, because they "just don''t understand."

I just don''t think getting a dog for a 3 year old is a good enough reason to make a commitment for the next 10-15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results